Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade cleaning solutions

Default Homemade cleaning solutions

Laundry Soap

1 bar fels naptha grated
    1 c washing soda
    1 c borax
    2 gallons hot water

Put 2 gallons hot water in bucket. Grate soap into a pan, cover with water and heat, while stirring, until soap melts. Add to the bucket and stir well. Add soda and borax. It takes at least 24 hours to gel. Use 1 c per laundry load (I use less).

Homemade Comet

1 c baking soda
    1 c 20 Mule team borax
    1 c salt

Homemade Stain remover

1/2 c ammonia
    1/2 c white vinegar
    1/4 c baking soda
    2 T liquid soap (I use dawn dish soap)
    2 quarts water

Mix in spray bottle

Homeamde glass cleaner

1 pint rubbing alcohol
    1 T ammonia
    1 T dish soap
    1 gallon water

(blue food coloring if desired)

Dishwasher soap (if for some reason you have electricity but can't buy soap????)
    2 C 20 mule team borax
    2 c washing soda

use 2 T per load (you can also use white vinegar in place of jet dry)

All purpose cleaner

1 t borax
    1/2 t washing soda
    2 T lemon juice
    1 C hot water
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

I will have to try this one for sure

Dishwasher soap (if for some reason you have electricity but can't buy soap????)
    2 C 20 mule team borax
    2 c washing soda

use 2 T per load (you can also use white vinegar in place of jet dry)

Thanks for all the recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Micah68 View Post
    ... (if for some reason you have electricity but can't buy soap????)
    I laughed out loud at this, Micah. Thanks for the laugh, I needed it!

Angel
    "There was one of two things I had a right to – liberty, or death.
    If I could not have one I would have the other; for no man should take me alive."
    Harriet Tubman

"The President eats dirt and excrement for his daily meals, likes it and tries to force it on The States."
    Walt Whitman

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in time of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality" Dante "The Inferno"

these are great! Thanks!

A question: Sometime back I saw a recipe for home made dishwasher cleaner, you know to clean your dishwasher with instead of that expensive stuff you have to buy.

Do you happen to know what is might be and how to make it?

what is washing soda ? and, where do you buy it ??

Dear Axeman,

Washing soda is sodium carbonate - not the same as baking soda. I buy it at my local Publix (grocery store in my area). They also carry fels naptha and borax. Here is a link to purchase it online. I think even if you have to pay shipping, it will end up being cheaper than buying laundry detergent.

http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/category_s/15.htm

I use the same recipe as Micah but I don't add the water.

Laundry Soap

1 bar fels naptha grated
    1 c washing soda
    1 c borax

It makes it much easier to store. I just keep it in a tupperware container with a tablespoon in it. I mix it up quickly whenever I use it and add 2 tbsp to each load. I've never had a problem with it not dissolving and I love the clean smell it gives the clothes.

What do you mean "you mix it up quickly." Do you mean you stir it dry or are you adding water? How much? I like this idea of storing dry. When I made some with water, I had a lot of settling. Anybody try this with the new front loading washers?

Dear Carol,

When you grate up the fels naptha soap, it looks like grated cheddar cheese. Mix that with the soda and borax and it tends to settle. So I just stir the spoon around a little before I scoop it up. Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy!!

I haven't tried with the front loader but think it would be fine. Let us know.

I already make my own laundry detergent using my own homemade soap.

I have tried the dishwasher detergent, and it does work. But after awhile, the dishes start to look dingy. So I use it for a month or two, then use storebought for a month or so, then go back to the homemade version again.

I read, but have never tried, that if you bake baking soda in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes (spread out on a cookie sheet) that it becomes the washing soda.

Check your local kroger store for the ingredients for the laundry soap, most of them carry them all.