Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade cleaning solutions

Cunucu Beach Guest

Washing soda can be hard to find. If you have a pool or hot tub supply store close you can buy a product called pH Plus which is pure sodium carbonate AKA washing soda. It is used to adjust the pH of pool water.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancyapple View Post
    Dear Carol,

When you grate up the fels naptha soap, it looks like grated cheddar cheese. Mix that with the soda and borax and it tends to settle. So I just stir the spoon around a little before I scoop it up. Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy!!

I haven't tried with the front loader but think it would be fine. Let us know.
    I learned something tonight... I wanted to try the powdered version. Last time I was in the hardware store they had fels naptha, and printed out recipes for both liquid and powdered versions. So I bought a new bar, as I only had half a bar left( that has been sitting opened in my laundry room for a couple of years, being used for spot treatments. The old bar grated to the consistency of parmesan cheese- it pretty much formed a powder. The new bar did as you said, and looks like shredded cheese. So if you like the powdered consistency, just unwrap your bar of soap and leave it to dry out... If you have the patience to let it sit for at least a year. Guess I could buy a bunch of bars, unwrap them, and store in the linen closet.

Default Stinky Sink

My kitchen sink (double) stinks. It is bad. I have already tried lots of ice cubes in the disposal, with and without salt, vinegar and baking soda, and Liquid Plumber. It isn't stopped up, just really smelly.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do about it?

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." -- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Mstini View Post
    My kitchen sink (double) stinks. It is bad. I have already tried lots of ice cubes in the disposal, with and without salt, vinegar and baking soda, and Liquid Plumber. It isn't stopped up, just really smelly.

My favorite - put a tray of ice cubes down, and then a lemon or a lime - it makes it smell lemony (or limey). You might try lemon juice if you don't want to invest in a real lemon.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Only thing that pops to mind right now is bleach. Or would that hurt the disposal?

If all those remedies failed to help, try removing the trap and cleaning it out. Warning: it might be nasty.
    Careful...the older I get, the less "life sentence" is a deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Micah68 View Post
    Homeamde glass cleaner

1 pint rubbing alcohol
    1 T ammonia
    1 T dish soap
    1 gallon water

(blue food coloring if desired)
    I've found that straight 70% rubbing alcohol works really well. Streak free, just spray on and wipe.
    Careful...the older I get, the less "life sentence" is a deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancyapple View Post
    Dear Axeman,

Washing soda is sodium carbonate - not the same as baking soda. I buy it at my local Publix (grocery store in my area). They also carry fels naptha and borax. Here is a link to purchase it online. I think even if you have to pay shipping, it will end up being cheaper than buying laundry detergent.

http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/category_s/15.htm

I use the same recipe as Micah but I don't add the water.

Laundry Soap

1 bar fels naptha grated
    1 c washing soda
    1 c borax

It makes it much easier to store. I just keep it in a tupperware container with a tablespoon in it. I mix it up quickly whenever I use it and add 2 tbsp to each load. I've never had a problem with it not dissolving and I love the clean smell it gives the clothes.
    I use 1 bar of Fels Naptha, 1 box of Washing Soda, 1 box of Borax and 1 box of Ivory Snow.

It smells terrific, cleans great, and the scent is even fresher when you hang your laundry on the line.

I use 1/2 - 1 cup per large load.

For the rinse, I use some Lavender essential oil in the final rinse water, about 20 or so drops.

Maureen

Quote Originally Posted by MaureenO View Post
    I use 1 bar of Fels Naptha, 1 box of Washing Soda, 1 box of Borax and 1 box of Ivory Snow.

It smells terrific, cleans great, and the scent is even fresher when you hang your laundry on the line.

I use 1/2 - 1 cup per large load.

For the rinse, I use some Lavender essential oil in the final rinse water, about 20 or so drops.

Maureen
    Thank you Maureen

Quote Originally Posted by Micah68 View Post
    Laundry Soap

1 bar fels naptha grated
    1 c washing soda
    1 c borax
    2 gallons hot water

Put 2 gallons hot water in bucket. Grate soap into a pan, cover with water and heat, while stirring, until soap melts. Add to the bucket and stir well. Add soda and borax. It takes at least 24 hours to gel. Use 1 c per laundry load (I use less).

Homemade Comet

1 c baking soda
    1 c 20 Mule team borax
    1 c salt

Homemade Stain remover

1/2 c ammonia
    1/2 c white vinegar
    1/4 c baking soda
    2 T liquid soap (I use dawn dish soap)
    2 quarts water

Mix in spray bottle

Homeamde glass cleaner

1 pint rubbing alcohol
    1 T ammonia
    1 T dish soap
    1 gallon water

(blue food coloring if desired)

Dishwasher soap (if for some reason you have electricity but can't buy soap????)
    2 C 20 mule team borax
    2 c washing soda

use 2 T per load (you can also use white vinegar in place of jet dry)

All purpose cleaner

1 t borax
    1/2 t washing soda
    2 T lemon juice
    1 C hot water
    I use a lot of these and I really like it when I add some essential oils to the mixes.

I like Lemon, Orange, Lavender, Sage and Rose Geranium.

For the kitchen cleaners, I use lemon, orange or sage. For the other rooms, I use lavender, rose geranium, or orange. Orange and or lemon is great for the bathroom.

I don't use any oils in the window cleaner, though. For windows I use a pail of hot water and some Dawn and a dishrag or sponge, then wash each pane. Then I dry the windows with a linen or gauze towel.

Maureen