Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homemade cleaning solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    If all those remedies failed to help, try removing the trap and cleaning it out. Warning: it might be nasty.

Thanks, Powder but Yikes! I don't know one single thing about plumbing! "Remove the trap?" I can't even get down there on my poor old knees. The way it smells, whatever is causing it must be more than NASTY. I may have to bite the bullet and let some moths out of my purse and call a plumber. Oh woe.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." -- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    I've found that straight 70% rubbing alcohol works really well. Streak free, just spray on and wipe.
    acturally alcohol, or peroxide, are the 2 best to use for any kind of cleaning.
    momof23goats

Quote Originally Posted by Mstini View Post
    Thanks, Powder but Yikes! I don't know one single thing about plumbing! "Remove the trap?" I can't even get down there on my poor old knees. The way it smells, whatever is causing it must be more than NASTY. I may have to bite the bullet and let some moths out of my purse and call a plumber. Oh woe.
    Haha, it may be worth it to pay someone to fix the problem. Just be clear to tell the plumber what your goal is. No more stinky drain, and no leaks when you're done, period. Get a price estimate in advance!

I'm a little on the weak stomach side myself, so I wouldn't have a problem getting down there to remove the trap, but the smell could send me running to a trash can.
    Careful...the older I get, the less "life sentence" is a deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by momof23goats View Post
    acturally alcohol, or peroxide, are the 2 best to use for any kind of cleaning.
    I've never tried the peroxide, what % concentration do you use?
    Careful...the older I get, the less "life sentence" is a deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by GermanAxeman View Post
    what is washing soda ? and, where do you buy it ??
    I was pleased to find the washing soda, borax, and fels naptha at the local Walmart.

I also recently tried using tsp (trisodium phosphate, the good cleaner that was banned in laundry detergents but is still sold for other uses). I read that adding one teaspoon of tsp to your dishwashing detergent would give it extra cleaning power. I tried it, and the dishes came out really shiny.

I also heard it boosts the cleaning power of laundry detergent, but I didn't notice any difference. I couldn't find out how much to use, though, so it was an experiment, and maybe I didn't use enough.
    Check out my handcrafted jewelry: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Lumara
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Mstini View Post
    My kitchen sink (double) stinks.
    Does your sink drain freely?

Place a funnel in the drain and pour in 1/2 cup of baking soda, remove the funnel .... let set over night or for about 8 hrs if you can forgo use of the sink. In a tea pot or sauce pan add 1 cup of vinegar and 1 cup of water, bring to a boil then pour into the drain opening. This will effervesce quite a bit.

O.W.