Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Moses ate in his 40 years of wilderness.

Default What Moses ate in his 40 years of wilderness.

Supposedly.. according to the article I read. Sounds a lot like the old fashioned bread fritters we made as a child. Here's the recipe:

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

2-1/2 cup white flour

3-1 tsp salt

4-1/2 cup water (or as needed)

Combine flours and salt. Slowly add water until dough sticks together. Knead dough until it is soft and elastic. Cover and let rise on a floured surface for 30-45 minutes.

Divide the dough into 12 small lumps. Dust hands with flour, pat lumps flat, and gently stretch the dough until it is about 6 inches across.

flour the rounds and put in a very hot frying pan with 1 tbs veg oil for coating the pan. When bread bubbles, turn it over and cook on the other side. When it puffs up, turn over again and keep turning it over until both sides have black spots (about 3 minutes). brush with butter while still hot.

yummy! I copied this recipe to print and save with our preps! I would think though in Moses' time that the bread wouldnt rise-no yeast. It probaby would have been more like flat bread. My mom has a biblical cookbook with some really good recipes in it!
    straightstreet<><
    Acts 9:10-12

In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, "Ananias!" "Yes, Lord," he answered. The Lord told him, "Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight."

We make these. We fold them over and stuff with ...................(enter chopped leftover meat or beans of the day) coupled with (enter sauce) and whatever veggies you'd like to add.

My kids like these better when they can creat their own mess@!

DS1 prefers meat,lettuce,fried onion.
    DS2 prefers meat and catsup!
    I am game for bell peppers and salsa and beans.

It's a perfect versatile bread!

pk
    Got water?

What you describe is called chapati and it is usually made with all WW flour. When fried in butter it is remarkably delicious, but a cup of flour will easily suck up a pound of butter. If you want to be cheap you can use any sort of cooking oil. It will still be pretty good, but butter is noticeably better.

About the rising: you are talking about sourdough, and the natural yeast takes at least a few days to rise. That is a somewhat different process and a very different sort of bread.

Speaking of sourdough, I found sourdough starters at http://www.sourdo.com/ and more information at http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking...sourdough.html

Thanks Saul Mine. My starter recipe died when we moved and I haven't tried again. With a loaf of bread at $4.00 per loaf here and winter now upon us, I can make my own again. Our house gets so cold bread will only rise when we have the fireplace in the kitchen going. Only problem is hubby will eat an entire loaf right out of the oven. He loves it. If anyone wants special bread recipes, I can do that for you. Just sing out. AL

Moses was Italian? That's the recipe for Pizza Fritta or "Fried Dough".

Top it with powdered sugar, or with pasta sauce and parmasean cheese instead.

Kids love it! It's my family's favorite comfort food around here.

Don’t buy from a faceless chain.
    Buy from a friend.

Shop Avon Online! - www.LizMetcalf.com
    Liz Metcalf
    - The Tree of Liberty's Avon Lady

That recipe MUST have been updated cause I'm REALLY suire "they" didn't have WHITE flour back in those days particularly in the wilderness traveling! In any case,k it IS a good quick, versitile flat bread.

Quote Originally Posted by goatlady View Post
    That recipe MUST have been updated cause I'm REALLY suire "they" didn't have WHITE flour back in those days particularly in the wilderness traveling! In any case,k it IS a good quick, versitile flat bread.
    thats what I thought too , about the white flour, I bet whole wheat by itself would do the same thing.

I believe they only had "manna" and no one knows what that was. It was described as white flakes that fell overnight and was then gathered.

I didn't see yeast listed in the recipe. Is this self rising flour?

Sherry in GA