Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Thanksgiving favorites 2009

Default A moist, easy turkey recipe

If you like wonderfully moist turkey that's easy to fix, this recipe is for you. It was given to me by a colleague several years ago. After fixing the turkey this way one time, it was so good, it became the only way. This will seem counter-intuitive, but if you do it, you'll be glad. It also frees up the oven on Thanksgiving Day to allow for the other things to be baked.

We usually bake a 16-20 pound turkey. If you use a markedly smaller or larger bird, you may need to adjust the time. Here are the instructions:

The turkey will bake overnight! After baking all night, remove the roasting pan from the oven to drain the juice if you need it but do not open the foil. There will be juice outside of the foil. After draining, place the lid back onto the roasting pan and leave it until you are ready to serve your meal.

Make sure the turkey is completely thawed if using a frozen one. Wrap the bird in several layers of tin foil. Place it in a roasting pan but add no water. There will be juice after it is cooked for the dressings, gravy, etc. Place a lid on the bird.

Pre-heat the oven to 500 degrees. Place the roasting pan into the oven but not too close to the bottom coils, if possible. Cook at 500 degrees for 30 minutes. Without opening the oven, reduce the heat to 250 and leave it until morning. When you get up, the turkey is done! Plus, the house will smell wonderful. The timing for a large bird is like this...we put it in at about 11 pm on Thanksgiving Eve. Then, by 7-8 am, it is done. We take the roasting pan out of the oven, drain some juice for gravy and leave it with cover until we eat, which is usually around 1 pm. The turkey remains warm and DELICIOUS. The meat is so moist that you won't believe it and such flavor. MMmmm.

I have told this process to numerous friends and none has tried it. I don't know why. It does sound rather strange. But, if you try it, I think you will find all that has been written here is truth. If you do try it, by the way, PM me and let me know. I'm dying for someone to give this a go and share the joy!

With only a week to go...btt.

She

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho1 View Post
    If you like wonderfully moist turkey that's easy to fix, this recipe is for you. It was given to me by a colleague several years ago. After fixing the turkey this way one time, it was so good, it became the only way. This will seem counter-intuitive, but if you do it, you'll be glad. It also frees up the oven on Thanksgiving Day to allow for the other things to be baked.

We usually bake a 16-20 pound turkey. If you use a markedly smaller or larger bird, you may need to adjust the time. Here are the instructions:

The turkey will bake overnight! After baking all night, remove the roasting pan from the oven to drain the juice if you need it but do not open the foil. There will be juice outside of the foil. After draining, place the lid back onto the roasting pan and leave it until you are ready to serve your meal.

Make sure the turkey is completely thawed if using a frozen one. Wrap the bird in several layers of tin foil. Place it in a roasting pan but add no water. There will be juice after it is cooked for the dressings, gravy, etc. Place a lid on the bird.

Pre-heat the oven to 500 degrees. Place the roasting pan into the oven but not too close to the bottom coils, if possible. Cook at 500 degrees for 30 minutes. Without opening the oven, reduce the heat to 250 and leave it until morning. When you get up, the turkey is done! Plus, the house will smell wonderful. The timing for a large bird is like this...we put it in at about 11 pm on Thanksgiving Eve. Then, by 7-8 am, it is done. We take the roasting pan out of the oven, drain some juice for gravy and leave it with cover until we eat, which is usually around 1 pm. The turkey remains warm and DELICIOUS. The meat is so moist that you won't believe it and such flavor. MMmmm.

I have told this process to numerous friends and none has tried it. I don't know why. It does sound rather strange. But, if you try it, I think you will find all that has been written here is truth. If you do try it, by the way, PM me and let me know. I'm dying for someone to give this a go and share the joy!
    That sounds like a good plan....low and slow. most things cooked this method come out nice and tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by SheWoff View Post
    With only a week to go...btt.

She
    We went to the store the other day and got most, if not all of the ingredients needed. I say most because it depends on if I get off my butt and make ahead and freeze the apple pie or we just eat the apples and have to get more later. I'm betting on the latter. We got two bags of marshmellows, one big and one of the little ones for the sweet potatoes. The big ones were finished an hour ago as we snacked on them. My husband bbq'd one over the gas stove, not quite the same as over a campfire.
    Pull my finger!

I guess to some people chains don't matter as long as they have the right letter on them. Frankly I don't want to be in chains.

"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause." Padme in Star Wars Episode III

This turkey recipe is not for a good looking turkey but a great tasting fall off the bone one that cooks overnight.
    I thought the person who gave this recipe to me was nuts, but it is great!

preheat oven to 275
    1 frozen turkey (giblets out of you can if not leave)
    Slather whole bird with peanut butter (creamy style)
    season lightly with salt
    place in roaster and cover with foil
    place turkey in preheated oven and go to bed
    around 9-10 am after a few cups of coffee check the bird and baste if needed and finish cooking. When done.
    Let stand for 10 to 15 min, cut it up and plate it, these dripping also make one of the best gravies I had in many years.
    “The thing about being a survivalist kook and stockpiling gold, guns, and food is that there’s no downside. Even if you’re wrong, you’ve still got gold, guns, and food.”

Tomorrow is the big day and I hope everyone has a great one!
    Pull my finger!

I guess to some people chains don't matter as long as they have the right letter on them. Frankly I don't want to be in chains.

"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause." Padme in Star Wars Episode III

Quote Originally Posted by Nicho1 View Post

Well, I did it :) You weren't lying Nicho....one heck of a moist, fall off the bone bird! We joked it was a convertible....tried to lift it out of the pan and the whole top peeled off! The breasts came off in 2 large pieces leaving the cleanest bones I have ever seen. Only problem was I had stuffed the bird and the stuffing was pretty much soup. Luckily I had another big pan I had cooked separately. Will definitely do it again....next time with no stuffing ;)