Thread: Thanksgiving favorites 2009

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wink Thanksgiving favorites 2009

I know this is kind of early, but I wanted to give everyone enough time to think about it and dust off the old recipe books! Please, if you would, post one of your families favorite recipes for Thanksgiving and maybe a bit of background on it. Like this is the cranberry sauce we make every year because great granny used to make it for us all, or something similar. I thought it would be so neat to get a little story along with the recipe. Just to reflect back on our families and things we are greatful and thankful this year. I know it is going to take me a couple of days to find the recipe I am looking for, so no rush folks.

She

Sometimes we go camping for Thanksgiving. One year we had fajitas. We have been trying non-traditional Thanksgivings for a couple years. We will probably do the whole family thing this year.
    The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever. Isaiah 40:8

Default Anita's Cornbread Dressing

When I moved to TN about 10 years ago, I had NO idea what cornbread dressing was. All I knew was that hubby was expecting this to be on the table with the turkey. I was panicked about 3 or 4 days before Thanksgiving not having a recipe and no idea how to make this. I had read recipes on line and there were tons of them But which one was the good one? So I got ahold of a friend on line who also lived in TN. She saved the day by giving me her families "secret recipe" for the dressing and now I make it every year just as a reminder to be thankful for good friends!

Anita's Cornbread Dressing

1 can cream of celery soup
    2 - 3 cans chicken broth
    2 stalks of celery, chopped
    1 onion, chopped fine
    salt
    pepper
    sage to taste
    1 whole stick butter
    6 slices of white bread
    1 skillet of cornbread ( No. 8 skillet)

In a large sauce pan add broth, soup, onion, celery and butter. Add salt and pepper. Slow simmer for 20 minutes. Add sage about half way.

In a large bowl crumble 1 pan of cornbread, cooled off. Crumble in the white bread slices. Mix. Add hot mixture to the bread and stir well. Put into well greased casserole dish. Cook in oven at 350 for 1/2 hour or until top crust turns golden brown. Don't let it dry out. If looks like it is, pour a little bit of chicken broth over the top and cover with aluminum foil.

She

Wink Justin Wilson's Sweet Potato Pecan Pie

This is a pie that I first made when I lived in FL and the boys were teens. And picky eaters lol. I never told them it was sweet potato pie until after they had finished it off with two things of cool whip hehehe. Now, one of the boys will drive 500 miles just to get this pie made for him LOL...and mom sure will make it too if he comes that far for it. I fix this pie every year as a reminder to be thankful for my children.

Justin Wilson's Sweet Potato Pecan Pie

1 1/2 cup sweet potatoes boiled and mashed
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    3 large eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 cup honey
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 cup pecans

Pre-heat oven to 350. Mix potatoes, honey, cinnamon, and salt together in a large bowl. In separate bowl, beat eggs. Gradually beat in sugar and vanilla. Pour egg mixture into the potato mixture and stir together well. Add pecans and stir. Pour into pie shell. Bake for 1 hour or until a knife inserted into the middle of the pie comes out clean.

She

My favorite was my mother's banana walnut bread. There is no recipe that I can find. I had all my recipe's stolen from a woman that I took in "free room and board" and not work...only had to look after my children from the school bus in the afternoon for two hours. She robbed me blind from a lot of my precious (to me) things when she went to live with her DIL. I had a tendency to trust everyone.....I kind of still do....I know it is not good to be such a noodle. AL

Also, may not be the place to say it, but "She, you sound like a wonderful Mom and woman to me." I am so thankful that the world has so many loving, kind, generous Moms out there. We need lots and lots more of them. AL