Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving favorites 2009

Pumpkin rolls

and THE best pumpkin pie recipe in the world, from the Back to Basics book.

Sooooooo good....
    Hey, where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?

"Chances are, you're already surrounded by mindless, bloodthirsty, half-alive, subhuman wretches. An actual zombie apocalypse would just give you the chance to do something constructive about it."

Default Thanksgiving recipes

We are very traditional in our celebration: Turkey, home-made mashed potatoes, gravy, candied yams with apples, pecans and cranberries, spiced cranberries, brussel sprouts with onion, garlic and red peppers, coleslaw, rolls, squash medley with corn and onions, stuffing balls, and pies - whew! I'm tired before I even get started

Baby steps...that looks so good! Would you mind taking the time to post the recipe? Pretty please? With sugar and a cherry on top?

I want to thank you all for sharing on this thread. It is so heart warming to read all the stuff yall do at thanksgiving! With all our children grown and having families of their own now and mom and dad so far away (500 miles -/+) we don't celebrate like we used to. I do miss it so...

She

Quote Originally Posted by SheWoff View Post
    Baby steps...that looks so good! Would you mind taking the time to post the recipe? Pretty please? With sugar and a cherry on top?

I want to thank you all for sharing on this thread. It is so heart warming to read all the stuff yall do at thanksgiving! With all our children grown and having families of their own now and mom and dad so far away (500 miles -/+) we don't celebrate like we used to. I do miss it so...

She
    I know what you mean She. Last year, dh and I took Thanksgiving (two weeks early) to our daughter and granddaughter in Kentucky. We rented a large cabin at Lake Cumberland Resort, and fixed the entire meal there, and enjoyed 2 days together. Unfortunately, our son and grandson couldn't go with us (son had to work the day before and day after), but I made another complete meal for them on Thanksgiving Day! Needless to say, dh and I haven't eaten much turkey since last year...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SheWoff View Post

She

Not Baby Steps, but here ya go. I've never made this, but have heard good reviews about this pretty looking, yummy desert.

There is also a 'how to" video at the link.

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipe....aspx?ID=32372

LIBBY'SŪ Pumpkin Roll

Directions

Ingredients
    • CAKE
    • 1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
    • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 3 large eggs
    • 1 cup granulated sugar
    • 2/3 cup LIBBY'SŪ 100% Pure Pumpkin
    • 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
    • FILLING
    • 1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
    • 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
    • 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • Powdered sugar (optional for decoration)
    FOR CAKE:

PREHEAT oven to 375° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.

COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with nuts.

BAKE for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. (If using a dark-colored pan, begin checking for doneness at 11 minutes.) Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.

FOR FILLING:

BEAT cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.

COOKING TIP:
    Be sure to put enough powdered sugar on the towel when rolling up the cake so it will not stick.

"Blessed are the cracked, for they let light into the world". ~unknown~

Any recipes for a good moist turkey? I have never cooked a whole turkey before Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Princessla View Post
    Any recipes for a good moist turkey? I have never cooked a whole turkey before Thanks!

I use a Reynolds Turkey roasting bag and get great results - nice and browned plus super moist! Here's a link:
    http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldsk...ook_Turkey.asp

I can't make stuffing no matter how hard I try - it's either to moist or to dry . It never turns out right, lol. I just want to make plain old sage dressing like my Mom made! She always told me it should "slop" out of the bowl when you put it in the pan - lol. It shouldn't be so hard & I panic every year this time. I think I have a bread problem - any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Princessla View Post
    One way to keep the white meat moist is to do all of the thawing with the breast side down. When you are ready to stuff and cook the turkey, turn it right side up.
    -
    -

I don't really have a specialty recipe, but Thanksgiving just has to have my cornbread stuffing (Marie Callendar's cornbread stuffing mix, prepared according to the package using veggie broth, then add 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts and a couple of handfuls of craisins).

Oh, and the meal is not complete without jellied cranberry sauce. Still in the original can shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    I don't really have a specialty recipe, but Thanksgiving just has to have my cornbread stuffing (Marie Callendar's cornbread stuffing mix, prepared according to the package using veggie broth, then add 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts and a couple of handfuls of craisins).

Oh, and the meal is not complete without jellied cranberry sauce. Still in the original can shape.
    I can't eat turkey without that jellied cranberry sauce!