Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving favorites 2009

Thanksgiving is kind of our family's Christmas. This is when we all get together and the cornbread dressing always draws them in, it is so good. Everyone brings a special dish, but the one thing we don't have, because no one knows how to make it, is Sweet Potato Casserole. Do any of you have a recipe for it that you would share? TIA

Whoops, sorry Shewoff! I didn't mean to ignore the request for the recipe! Thanks, HeartofDixie!

She, I'm not sure if you wanted the pumpkin pie recipe too, but here it is. I swear it makes THE best pumpkin pie in the world.

3 c pumpkin
    1 c brown sugar
    1 c white sugar
    2 Tbsp molasses
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp salt
    4 eggs, beaten
    2 c milk, scalded

2 (9") unbaked pie shells

Combine all ingredients, mix thoroughly. Pour into pie shells. Bake at 450* for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 375* and bake an additional 40 minutes.
    Hey, where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?

"Chances are, you're already surrounded by mindless, bloodthirsty, half-alive, subhuman wretches. An actual zombie apocalypse would just give you the chance to do something constructive about it."

My mom never ever wrote anything down, it was always a little of this and a little of that until it tasted good, sigh. To this day I cannot get her meat stuffing right, but I finally, after about 5 years, got her cole slaw down, but the problem is I don't have measured ingredients, I do it till it tastes right, lol! I use cabbage, carrots, celery, parsley, hellman's mayo (tried other mayo, tastes like crap)and heinz vinegar and just add it together till it tastes like hers.

What I wish I had down pat were her piergoes, sigh, I would kill for one of her saukraut ones with mushroom gravy right now!
    "Let not your heart be disturbed. Do not fear that sickness, nor any other sickness or anguish. Am I not here, who is your Mother? Are you not under my protection? Am I not your health? Are you not happily within my fold? What else do you wish? Do not grieve nor be disturbed by anything."

~ Our Lady to Juan Diego, December 9, 1531

I meant to say Sweet Potato Souffle.

Default Stuffing Balls

Stuffing Balls (my grandma's)

2 loaves white bread
    2 eggs
    1 C milk
    1 C water
    1/3 stick butter
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 small green pepper, chopped
    ¼ C fresh parsley, chopped
    salt
    pepper
    2 t ground sage
    1 ½ - 2 t poultry seasoning

Open the loaves of bread and allow the bread to get stale for a day. Tear the bread into 1 ½” pieces including the crusts.
    Mix the eggs with the milk and water. Add this to the bread sparingly; just to moisten.
    Sauté the celery, onions, and green peppers in butter until translucent. Add salt and pepper.
    Add the warm vegetables and butter to the bread. Add the parsley and sprinkle in a little rubbed sage. Cover with poultry seasoning. Gently toss with your hands. Gently push the stuffing mixture into the corner of your mixing pan and allow to sit for 30 minutes to absorb the liquid into the bread. Form into small balls the size of a baseball.
    Bake at 350 degrees in a 9x13 pan for 30 minutes. Pour on some chicken broth toward the end of the baking time. Bake until just starting to crisp. Or, you could place the stuffing balls inside the turkey and bake the turkey according to size.
    You may freeze the balls on a cookie sheet prior to baking. Place the frozen balls into the bags that the bread came in after the balls are set. When you are ready to cook them, pour a little (1/4”) hot chicken or turkey broth into the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Simply place the frozen or defrosted balls in the 9x13 dish and bake as above. Baste a couple of times for 30 minutes.

We always use our large roasting pans to mix everything together.

I like that I can have this done several days prior to Thanksgiving; love it! We always liked the balls as they were easy to serve in individual helpings and also because it was easy to grab a stuffing ball for leftovers on the run.

Grandma would freeze stuffing balls and later stuff chicken breasts. The basic ratio for stuffing is 1 egg to 1 loaf of bread. My aunt fries sausage and adds it. Grandma always said to try and get a little poultry seasoning on each piece of the bread.

Default Moist turkey

I always make a broth of white wine or sherry with melted butter and inject it into my bird. Try to insert the needle into the same hole in a different direction so it doesn't sprout too many leaks:)

Thanks Charlene! I'm going to have a trail run this week end trying your stuffing balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlene View Post
    Stuffing Balls (my grandma's)

2 loaves white bread
    2 eggs
    1 C milk
    1 C water
    1/3 stick butter
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 small green pepper, chopped
    ¼ C fresh parsley, chopped
    salt
    pepper
    2 t ground sage
    1 ½ - 2 t poultry seasoning

Open the loaves of bread and allow the bread to get stale for a day. Tear the bread into 1 ½” pieces including the crusts.
    Mix the eggs with the milk and water. Add this to the bread sparingly; just to moisten.
    Sauté the celery, onions, and green peppers in butter until translucent. Add salt and pepper.
    Add the warm vegetables and butter to the bread. Add the parsley and sprinkle in a little rubbed sage. Cover with poultry seasoning. Gently toss with your hands. Gently push the stuffing mixture into the corner of your mixing pan and allow to sit for 30 minutes to absorb the liquid into the bread. Form into small balls the size of a baseball.
    Bake at 350 degrees in a 9x13 pan for 30 minutes. Pour on some chicken broth toward the end of the baking time. Bake until just starting to crisp. Or, you could place the stuffing balls inside the turkey and bake the turkey according to size.
    You may freeze the balls on a cookie sheet prior to baking. Place the frozen balls into the bags that the bread came in after the balls are set. When you are ready to cook them, pour a little (1/4”) hot chicken or turkey broth into the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Simply place the frozen or defrosted balls in the 9x13 dish and bake as above. Baste a couple of times for 30 minutes.

We always use our large roasting pans to mix everything together.

I like that I can have this done several days prior to Thanksgiving; love it! We always liked the balls as they were easy to serve in individual helpings and also because it was easy to grab a stuffing ball for leftovers on the run.

Grandma would freeze stuffing balls and later stuff chicken breasts. The basic ratio for stuffing is 1 egg to 1 loaf of bread. My aunt fries sausage and adds it. Grandma always said to try and get a little poultry seasoning on each piece of the bread.

Default Cranberry Salad

This has been on our Thanksgiving and Christmas Table for 40 years jeez. We usually only serve it then.
    1 bag cranberries crushed
    2 cups sugar
    1 8oz container cool whip
    1 can crushed pineapple drained (17oz)
    1 cup walnuts crushed
    Mix crushed cranberries and sugar and let set 20 minutes. Add all the other ingredients and let set for at least 2 hours or overnight to let flavors blend. The original recipe called for heavy whipping cream. One pint whipped to form peaks. But the cool whip seems to taste better. You can also add mini marshmallows if you like them. 1 cup. I do not like cranberries of any kind but I love this stuff minus the marshmallows cause I dont like them either. The original recipe came from my childrens great grandmother. Silvertops other half

OK ladies, How about some country recipe tips for one of these:

As harvested by one of these:

I have some recipes, but am interested in what you all have.

A warrior lives by acting, not by thinking about acting, nor by thinking about what he will think when he has finished acting.

HW, we take ours and breast it out. Then soak it over night in a marinade of WishBone Italian dressing, a little extra garlic chopped fine, one onion diced fine, and a dash of sea salt and a dash of pepper. Make sure you have enough liquid in it to completely cover it up. I use one whole bottle, the big sized one. Not the regular sized. I cover it up with cling wrap too before sticking it in the fridge. The next day, hubby fires up the turkey fryer with peanut oil in it. He says he cooks it about 5 minutes per pound. Oil temp needs to be a little under 400. Keeps it from smoking so bad.

We do our duck the same way as the turkey too. With one exception...we wrap a piece of bacon around it first and those go on the grill not in the fryer.

She