Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pecan Pie Recipe that doesn't use corn syrup

Default Pecan Pie Recipe that doesn't use corn syrup

While we're on the subject of pies (on another thread) does anyone have a recipe for Pecan Pie that doesn't call for corn syrup? Or do you think you could substitute molasses or agave for the syrup? I thought I used to have one but can't locate it.

Thanks!

Technically, this is a Walnut Pie recipe, but I have used pecans, too.

1 c brown sugar
    1/4 c sugar
    1/2 c butter, melted (no substitutes)
    2 eggs (I use extra large or else 3 medium or large)
    1 T flour
    1 T milk
    1 t vanilla
    1 c chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 Beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter. Add brown sugar, sugar and flour and mix well. Add the milk, vanilla and nuts.

Pour into an unbaked pie shell. Bake 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until done.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

We received a Taste of Home cookbook from Irene and it has a recipe calling for something other than cornsyrup.

This has choc in it but could be omitted

Sweetness of the South Choc.Pecan Pie

2/3c. original Alaga syrup( I personally have never heard of this)
    1/2 c. sugar
    dash of salt
    1/4c. butter
    1 pkg. of semi sweet choc. chips
    1-9" deep pie dish, unbaked pie shell
    1c. whole pecans and halves mixed
    4 lg. eggs
    1/4c. flour
    1tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 325F. In a small saucepan combine syrup sugar and salt. Bring to a boil, over med. heat, stirring until sugar is melted. Remove from heat. Add butter, stirring until melted. Set aside to cool slightly.

Sprinkle choc. chips in bottom of pie shell, now sprinkle pecan over choc. chips. Set aside.

In large mixing bowl, combine eggs,flour and vanilla, beat until smooth.Add syrup mixture in a slow and steady stream, beating constantly. Pour syrup mixture evenly into prepared pie shell.

Bake until filling is set, approx.1 hour and 20 minutes.( center of the pie will puff slightly when in oven, but will settle when cool) Cool completely on a wire rack.

Enjoy

If this doesn't appeal to you you may try mixing molasses and agave syrup to make a sub. for dark corn syrup, or how about maple syrup and a tiny bit of molasses. Good luck!
    Contentment is NOT the fufillment of what you want but the realization of how much you already have.

Oh goodness, those both look so good I don't think I can wait until Thanksgiving. Well, I guess I should 'test' the recipes first !

Thanks ya'll!

Quote Originally Posted by Micah68 View Post

1 c brown sugar
    1/4 c sugar
    1 T flour
    1 T milk
    1 t vanilla
    1 c chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 Beat eggs until foamy, and stir in melted butter. Add brown sugar, sugar and flour and mix well. Add the milk, vanilla and nuts.

Pour into an unbaked pie shell. Bake 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until done.
    Oh my! This sounds GOOD.

I substitute Agave (Cactus syrup) for corn syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by carol b View Post
    I substitute Agave (Cactus syrup) for corn syrup.
    Do you sub. equal parts or use a little less agave since it's a bit sweeter?

We had this problem when we moved here, no corn syrup (this was before the GM situation). First I found a recipe that used Maple Syrup, expensive but doable. Then a couple of years ago when making some candy, I discovered that you can use "Golden Syrup" which is really a canned sugar syrup mixture and you can even do a home made version. The syrups just provide a very concentrated, liquid sugar and in the US the easy way to get that was corn syrup.

I think the Walnut/Pecan pie recipe posted sort of makes its own sugar syrup once the pie starts cooking and it melts down to combine with the butter.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by Micah68 View Post

1 c brown sugar
    1/4 c sugar
    1 T flour
    1 T milk
    1 t vanilla
    1 c chopped nuts

I have this one all pasted and copied in big lettering.

No syrup needed. Great!
    -
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Disastercat View Post
    I think the Walnut/Pecan pie recipe posted sort of makes its own sugar syrup once the pie starts cooking and it melts down to combine with the butter.
    Yes, it does. It's how they made nut pies before corn syrup was widely available or affordable. Also, IMO, it's healthier...not that pie is healthy anyway, LOL.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland