Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pecan Pie Recipe that doesn't use corn syrup

From the December 2007 issue of Carolina Country magazine. According to the article, recipe appeared on a box of brown sugar many, many years ago.

1 box light brown sugar
    4 eggs
    1 stick of melted butter or margarine
    1/2 c milk
    1 tbsp flour
    1 1/2 c pecans, chopped fine
    2 (9") pie shells

Mix all ingredients together and pour into pie shells. Cook for 1 hour at 300*F.

Hope you enjoy!
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Micah68 View Post
    Yes, it does. It's how they made nut pies before corn syrup was widely available or affordable. Also, IMO, it's healthier...not that pie is healthy anyway, LOL.
    LOL! I'm like this year we're making the healthy sweet potato casserole, but still cream and butter are cream and butter; unfortunately, friendly farming practices don't reduce the caloric content!

Quote Originally Posted by NCLee View Post
    From the December 2007 issue of Carolina Country magazine. According to the article, recipe appeared on a box of brown sugar many, many years ago.

1 box light brown sugar
    4 eggs
    1 stick of melted butter or margarine
    1/2 c milk
    1 tbsp flour
    1 1/2 c pecans, chopped fine
    2 (9") pie shells

Mix all ingredients together and pour into pie shells. Cook for 1 hour at 300*F.

Hope you enjoy!
    Lee
    This looks yummy! I'm gonna have to add on some (extra) walking time to my routine every day now to make up for having to make and test all these pies!

Default I seem to recall . . . . .

Eating a pecan pie made with sorghum syrup (diluted 50/50 with water). In the movie "Hoosiers" Gene Hackman helps a players parent strip leaves from cane sorghum.
    "I never let schooling interfere with my education."

Quote Originally Posted by StellaBlue View Post
    LOL! I'm like this year we're making the healthy sweet potato casserole, but still cream and butter are cream and butter; unfortunately, friendly farming practices don't reduce the caloric content!
    My story, and I am sticking to it, is that ANYTHING we can produce here, is healthier than what I can buy at the store. This allows me to use fresh cream and butter totally guilt free since we have a milk cow.

Yes, I do live on denial.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

WHAT?!?!?!?!?

Whaddaya mean, pie isn't healthy?

Next you're going to tell me that I shouldn't feed my children chocolate cake for breakfast, and I have it on very good authority (Bill Cosby, who could argue with him???) that chocolate cake is a great choice for breakfast!

Sorry for the thread hijack... back to your pie recipes!
    Hey, where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?

"Chances are, you're already surrounded by mindless, bloodthirsty, half-alive, subhuman wretches. An actual zombie apocalypse would just give you the chance to do something constructive about it."

Quote Originally Posted by babysteps View Post
    WHAT?!?!?!?!?

Whaddaya mean, pie isn't healthy?

Next you're going to tell me that I shouldn't feed my children chocolate cake for breakfast, and I have it on very good authority (Bill Cosby, who could argue with him???) that chocolate cake is a great choice for breakfast!

Sorry for the thread hijack... back to your pie recipes!
    "God is Great! He gives us the chocolate cake!!"
    "There was one of two things I had a right to – liberty, or death.
    If I could not have one I would have the other; for no man should take me alive."
    Harriet Tubman

"The President eats dirt and excrement for his daily meals, likes it and tries to force it on The States."
    Walt Whitman

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in time of moral crisis, maintain their neutrality" Dante "The Inferno"

chocolate comes from beans and is, therfore, a legume. Legumes are healthy!

One of our traditions is to have pie for breakfast on the day after Thanksgiving.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

A Southern pecan pie recipe
    INGREDIENTS:

• 1 c pecans
    • 1 lb sugar, light brown
    • 1/4 c flour
    • 1/2 ts salt
    • 1/2 c milk
    • 1/2 ts vanilla
    • 3 eggs
    • 1/2 c butter, melted
    PREPARATION:

Make your favorite pie crust, put that in the pie plate. Set the oven to 325° and put the pecans in the crust bottom. Blend together the sugar, flour, and salt, and then mix in milk and vanilla.
    Whisk in the eggs, one at a time. Mix in butter a little at a time. Pour this mixture over the pecans, then bake at 350° for 1 hr and 15 minutes or until the pie looks puffy and set around edges and isn't overly jiggly.

I use sorgum instead ofcorn syrup. they are great pies for sure. i never make enough.
    momof23goats