Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to find 100% wool socks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Trying to find 100% wool socks

I can find wool tights (expensive, but I can find them), but most of the time, during the winter, I am home and indoors. So tights can be a bit "much", even with the heater turned down to 60-65. But socks are a must. And my last good pair of wool socks died late last winter.

I don't like cotton. The "wool" socks in the hunting/sporting good departments at Wally World are blends--I don't like blends. I just want some simple, 100% wool socks.

Short of making my own (something I don't know how to do, and have too many projects on my plate right now to get started on), well, do any of *you* have any good resources of wool socks for ladies? I want natural colors, or black, or something simple and easy. I don't mind hand washing, I'll be doing that to my shawl often enough.

But I need some good, verified, resources for these doggone things...

Grumble.

Rachel (who has cold tootsies right now and could really use a good pair of woolies...sniffle)

There's a site called Etsy.com where people sell their crafts. You could try there to see if someone has any for sale. I would have thought a store like LL Bean or Sierra Trading Post, but no- all I saw were blends.

I knit and come to think of it, the highest percentage I've worked with in sock weight yarn is about 90% wool. They add nylon for a nice stretch and I think it helps them last longer.
    Lots of yarn suppliers sell "pure merino" which is nice soft wool, but heavier than sock weight.
    Last edited by Tesla'sMom; 11-08-2009 at 04:05 PM.
    "This is my Father's world.
    O let me ne'er forget
    that though the wrong seems oft so strong,
    God is the ruler yet."

I got DH some in person at Sportsman's Warehouse and we ordered some from rei.com. Good luck.

Proverbs 29:25
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe.

Basic
    Instructions
    Before
    Leaving
    Earth

I wonder if I can find some wool yarn? I crochet socks often so I would like to try that.
    Pull my finger!

I guess to some people chains don't matter as long as they have the right letter on them. Frankly I don't want to be in chains.

"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause." Padme in Star Wars Episode III

Go to the Marketplace....hear Sir Vival's got wool socks for sale there....
    Last edited by obleo; 11-08-2009 at 05:55 PM. Reason: add
    Old enough to remember

Did you check this thread on TOL yet? May be what you need.

http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/s...ad.php?t=82998

Woolrich. All wool. Also L.L. Bean on line or catalog all wool. Or, The Trading Post in Kittery, Maine. All wool many kinds. Just look on line. I buy them All the time for all the guys and gals. AL

Default Smartwool socks will do...

I prefer Bridgedale socks myself, specifically the midweight Trekkers.

I found a couple of small scale manufacturers--don't know if the one has any left, but this one looks to be doing good business, and it seems to be a place many TOLers would be interested in supporting...

http://www.cowboy.com/index.php?nav=listing&id=19758

Go check out their website...

Rachel