Thread: Anyone have a recipe for Hot Artichoke and Spinach Dip? (not lowfat!)

Default Anyone have a recipe for Hot Artichoke and Spinach Dip? (not lowfat!)

My db and his beautiful dw have invited dh and me to their house for Thanksgiving (ds will be with his gf at her mother's house, and dd in Ky. has to work and can't come to N.C.). I volunteered to bring an appetitzer and the ingredients for citrus wine spritzers. I need a yummy recipe for the Hot Artichoke and Spinach Dip db loves. Does anyone have a recipe that will be really creamy and cheesy? TIA!

BTW, here's my recipe for Citrus Wine Spritzers

Put a couple of tablespoons of crushed ice in a large stemed wine glass. Add a thin slice of lemon and a thin slice of lime. Add a little more crushed ice, then pour in about 1/2-3/4 cup of Pinot Grigio or Reisling, if you prefer a sweeter wine. Add a couple more slices of fruit, then top off glass with lemon-lime seltzer. Stir with a swizzle stick and enjoy!

Grannyof3

Here's a yummy artichoke dip recipe. Don't know why you couldnt add some spinach.
    Artichoke Dip
    8 oz cream cheese
    1/2 c shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese(+some for topping)
    1/2 c chopped green onion
    3 cloves garlic chopped or minced
    1 14 1/2 oz can artichoke hearts
    salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl with electric mixer.
    Place mix in baking dish and sprinkle top with some Parmesan or Romano cheese. Bake at 350 until the top is golden brown. Serve with chips or crackers.

Happy Thanksgiving. Have fun.

This is one of my Mom's old recipes, really rich and creamy:

* 2 pkgs.(10 oz) each, frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    * 1 can(13 3/4 oz) artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
    * 1/2 cup heavy cream
    * 1/8 teaspoon salt
    * 1/8 teaspoon pepper
    * 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
    * 1 pkg(8 oz) cream cheese, softened
    * 1 cup whole milk

1. Preheat oven to 350*f. In bowl, combine spinach, artichokes, cream, salt, pepper, and 1/3 cup parmesan cheese.

2. In small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat cream cheese until fluffy, occasionally scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula. reduce speed to low; gradually add milk, mixing just until blended.

3. Spoon spinach mixture into a shallow 1 1/2 quart casserole or 8"x8" glass baking dish. Pour cream cheese mixture evenly over the spinach mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup parmesan cheese. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until the edges bubble and top is golden.

4. Enjoy!!
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Default Thanks for the recipes!

Thanks GE and MD for the recipes. I believe I have all the ingredients to put together the dip, except for the heavy cream. I do have a jar of Alfredo sauce...do you think I could substitute that for the cream? This appetizer has already cost so much to bring together ( a can of artichoke hearts at Food Lion is $3.05!), that I would prefer not to ask dh to spend any more money on it, so if I could use the Alfredo sauce it would be wonderful, since it is already in the pantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Grannyof3 View Post
    Thanks GE and MD for the recipes. I believe I have all the ingredients to put together the dip, except for the heavy cream. I do have a jar of Alfredo sauce...do you think I could substitute that for the cream? This appetizer has already cost so much to bring together ( a can of artichoke hearts at Food Lion is $3.05!), that I would prefer not to ask dh to spend any more money on it, so if I could use the Alfredo sauce it would be wonderful, since it is already in the pantry.
    Granny, I would think you can get away with that. I know my homemade alfredo sauce includes cream, butter, parmesan, cream cheese, eggs, etc. So in my opinion, it'll be that much creamier. Mmmmmm, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

LP Guest

Here is a recipe for CopyCat Applebee's Hot Artichoke & Spinach Dip that uses alfredo sauce:

35 min | 5 min prep

SERVES 10 -12

1 (10 ounce) box frozen chopped spinach, thawed
    1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
    1 cup shredded parmesan-romano cheese mix
    1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    10 ounces prepared alfredo sauce
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    4 ounces softened cream cheese
    pepper (optional)
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Combine ingredients thoroughly in a bowl and spread mixture into a small baking dish (I used an 8" X 8" dish).
    Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheeses are bubbling and melted.
    Serve with chips or bread and enjoy.

I've only made this type of dip once and it was a copycat recipe, don't remember which one, but it was delicious. I also added red pepper flakes.

I tell ya, if it wasn't for the fact that I can't afford to buy more ingredients, I would make this tonight just to 'sample' it and make sure it is fit for my relatives....LOL

Default Tried An Artichoke Dip w/ Jalapeno

Considering using one of these recipes and adding the jalapeno. Warmed ya right up and a little kick! yum!!

Here's a recipe that I've made for 15+ yrs & it seems I can't go to any function without it being requested. Supposedly it came from a restaurant that used to be in New Orleans yrs & yrs ago. I'll be making it this weekend for another bday party! It is good!!!
    SPINACH & ARTICHOKE DIP

1 Stick Butter
    1 Medium Onion - Chopped
    1 Pckg Frozen Chopped Spinach – Thawed
    1 Can Artichoke Hearts – Drained & Chopped
    1-8 oz. Cream Cheese
    1-8 oz. Sour Cream
    1-8 oz. Pepper Jack Cheese
    ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
    Tony’s to Taste (Cajun Seasoning or Red Pepper)
    Tobasco to Taste

Drain thawed spinach. Drain and chop artichokes. Saute’ onion in butter. Add rest of ingredients & simmer until completed melted.
    Last edited by maddymae; 04-13-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: corrected ounces WOW! Glad I caught it!

These all sound wonderful to me. Granny I am sure everyone will love what you make. Don't stress about it. You best bring a recipe card because everyone will want a copy AL