Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Different Way to Fix Hotdogs

as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

Default A Different Way to Fix Hotdogs

i re-discovered an old recipe tonight and thought i'd share. in typical patticakes fashion, i'll post the original recipe and then tell you what i actually did.

A Different Way to Fix Hotdogs:

1/2 lb. hotdogs (chopped)
    1/2 lb. shredded american cheese
    1/4 cup mayo or salad dressing
    2 Tbsp. chopped onion
    2 Tbsp. relish or chopped pickles
    2 Tbsp. mustard
    8 hotdog buns

Combine all ingredients. Stuff hotdog buns. Bake at 350 for 1/2 hr. that's it. you're done!

now, what i actually did was:

1/2 lb. hotdogs (chopped) i used a whole package. not sure if that's a 1/2 pound or not.
    1/2 lb. shredded american cheese
    1/4 cup mayo or salad dressing (i use mayo)
    2 Tbsp. chopped onion
    2 Tbsp. relish or chopped pickles (i use relish)
    2 Tbsp. mustard
    8 hotdog buns

after i chopped the hotdogs, i put them in the frying pan on low just to warm them through. then, turn the heat off and add the rest of the ingredients. the heat from the pan and the dogs is enough to melt the cheese and heat the rest of the stuff through. this way, you only need to put the stuffed buns in the oven for about 5 or 10 minutes (unless you like really crispy buns - i don't).

quick, easy and cheap!
    Respect God. Love your family. What else is there?

Cool!
    "Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready." Revelation 19:7

I was gonna say that putting them in that long would burn the buns. I like your way better.
    Pull my finger!

I guess to some people chains don't matter as long as they have the right letter on them. Frankly I don't want to be in chains.

"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause." Padme in Star Wars Episode III

as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I was gonna say that putting them in that long would burn the buns. I like your way better.
    maybe covering them in foil would help. it just seemed to make sense to warm everything first and then fill the buns.

i hope you try it and enjoy it. i'm loving inexpensive meals more and more.
    Respect God. Love your family. What else is there?

It actually sounds pretty good, reminds me of a stuffed baked potato for some reason.
    Pull my finger!

I guess to some people chains don't matter as long as they have the right letter on them. Frankly I don't want to be in chains.

"So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause." Padme in Star Wars Episode III

Liberty is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

Yep, sounds good...except the hot dog part. Yuck!!! Pooey! Now maybe hamburger balls would be acceptable, but not hot dogs.

Sounds like a great idea. I do something similar with hamburger. Rather than putting all the toppings on top of the hamburger, I just mix them all together in the pan.

I brown the hamburger like I would for sloppy joes (drain fat off). Then I add ketchup, mustard, and pickle relish - about 1/3 c Ketchup, 1/2 tablespoon mustard, and 2 tablespoons pickle relish to 1 lb of hamburger but you can add and delete based on your preferences.
    Sometimes I caramelize chopped sweet onion to add.

Then after letting the flavors all blend for a minute or two over the heat, stirring constantly, I load some on a hamburger bun then sprinkle with cheese and sometimes put mayo on the hamburger bun top.
    Add lettuce if you have it.

My kids called it the all in one burger.
    'A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument,'" writes von Campe

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Yep, sounds good...except the hot dog part. Yuck!!! Pooey! Now maybe hamburger balls would be acceptable, but not hot dogs.
    Not me Man - Give me HOT DOGS No, MORE HOT DOGS....

We used to have a company locally called "Schultz". They made fantastic (no filler) hot dogs. So sad, no more. People still talk about them. They were bought out by a huge company but they changed the recipe. AL