Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else brining their bird?

Default Anyone else brining their bird?

I've just gotten mine settled into its overnight "bath". I was just wondering if anyone else on here was doing the same, and what you were putting in it.

I've got kosher salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, sage, bay leaf, some minced onion, and garlic (the last two were DH's additions, lol).

We're going to put it in the oven in about 12 hrs, so it should get good and brined between now and then, in the coolness of our pantry room. I've got the bird in the cooler, inside a couple trash bags, completely covered in the brine...hopefully, it will taste as good as it smells!

I've got the four pies on the counter, the ingredients for everything else ready to go, and breakfast is going to be "shove it down your throat, I need the kitchen!" LOL. Got to get those cloverleaf rolls going earrrrllly.

LOL

Rachel

Liberty is offline Tree of Liberty Supporter

First time I'd heard of brining the bird was Monday night on the Food Network. Sounds like you're doing it just like they described, and yes, there were both onion and smashed garlic in the mix. I would think a little liquid smoke would add a nice flavor, too.

Quote Originally Posted by juststartn View Post
    I've just gotten mine settled into its overnight "bath". I was just wondering if anyone else on here was doing the same, and what you were putting in it.

I've got kosher salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, sage, bay leaf, some minced onion, and garlic (the last two were DH's additions, lol).

We're going to put it in the oven in about 12 hrs, so it should get good and brined between now and then, in the coolness of our pantry room. I've got the bird in the cooler, inside a couple trash bags, completely covered in the brine...hopefully, it will taste as good as it smells!

I've got the four pies on the counter, the ingredients for everything else ready to go, and breakfast is going to be "shove it down your throat, I need the kitchen!" LOL. Got to get those cloverleaf rolls going earrrrllly.

LOL

Rachel
    Oh yeah. It's been in for 6 hours now. Been doing it for a few years. My recipe is similar to what you're doing, except I omitted the bay leaf and added some herbs I grew over the summer; sage, rosemary, parsley, oregano, plus a dash of red chili pepper, and a bottle of Michelob beer...
    Careful...the older I get, the less "life sentence" is a deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by juststartn View Post

LOL

Rachel
    Oooh, yummy! I'll be right over!!

This is the first time in 20 years I haven't cooked Thanksgiving dinner. In years past, I've brined the turkey in kosher salt, thyme, and honey. Maybe a few other things I've forgotten about . . . I'll have to check the recipe.

Hope your tomorrow goes smoothly and that everything comes out just the way you want!
    All best,
    Cyberiot

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein

All of your ideas sound great! This is the first time I've ever done it, so I am realllly hoping it turns out well (especially since DH turned the turkey over to me...I don't think he is cooking any of it this year, lol).

Rachel

My bird is in the brine in a covered 5-gal bucket on our screened-in back porch. It's 46 degrees right now, going down to 38 or so overnight. I'm using Alton Brown's recipe verbatim since it's the first year trying this method. he uses vegetable stock with brown sugar, candied ginger, allspice berries, peppercorns, and salt, then adds aromatics of cinnamon stick, sage, rosemary, onion, and an apple during the roasting time. He also instructs to cook the first 30 minutes at 500 degrees then turn down to 350 until done. Will try it by the book this year and make adjustments next year if we like it.

We're all ready to go in the morning, too. Small crowd this year, my daughter's family is feasting with her husband's side of the family this year. So, it's just my mother, 19 y/o son, and me, but we're still doing all the trimmings. I felt a little guilty about that, putting so much time and spending so much on a feast for three, but I enjoy preparing Thanksgiving dinner more than any other meal of the year. I tried to extend invitations to anyone I thought might want to come, but everyone had somewhere to go or someone coming in from out of town. At least that's what they tell me . My son's friends will be around beginning Friday (we're the hang-out house) and they'll scoop up some leftovers. One way or another, nothing will be wasted.

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love, because He first loved us. -- I John 4:18-19

Whoever derides their neighbor has no sense, but the one who has understanding holds their tongue. -- Proverbs 11:12.

I just did mine, the first I've every done it (someone at work mentioned that he does it, so I'm giving it a shot). I just did a salt and sugar brine, since my wife has her own seasoning regime.

mine is in a salt,brown ugar and rosemary brine...been oing it the last 5 years...mkes for a juicy bird!

Ok, so how did everyone's birds turn out?
    Careful...the older I get, the less "life sentence" is a deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Ok, so how did everyone's birds turn out?
    Ours was great. Golden crispy-sweet on the outside, tender and moist on the inside. Will do again next year!

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love, because He first loved us. -- I John 4:18-19

Whoever derides their neighbor has no sense, but the one who has understanding holds their tongue. -- Proverbs 11:12.