1 1/2 Cups water
1/4 Cup sugar or honey
3 tsp. salt
1/3 Cup butter or margarine
2 envelopes of active dry yeast (if you don't use this, the recipe won't turn out right, trust me, I've tried lol)
3 eggs
7 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour (unbleached) (may need more or less, depending on the consistency of the dough but this is a good guestimation)
1 Tbsp. water
2 tsp poppy or sesame seeds (optional- i like sesame seeds on mine)
1/2 Cup very warm water (for yeast)

Combine water, sugar (or honey), salt and butter (or margarine) in a small saucepan. Heat slowly until butter melts; cool to lukewarm.

Beat eggs in a small bowl. Reserve 2 Tbsp for later use.

Sprinkle the yeast into the very warm water, in a large bowl. Stir until the yeast dissolves; then stur in the water mixture and the eggs.

Beat in 4 cups of flour, until smooth. Beat in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.

Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.

Knead until it becomes smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes), using only as much flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking.

Place the dough into a greased/oiled large bowl, and turn it so that the whole ball of dough gets a light coat of oil/shortening, then cover it with a clean towl and let it rise in a warm place, away from drafts for 1 1/2 hours (or until it doubles in bulk). * the oven is a great place to keep it while it's rising.

After it's doubled in bulk, punch the dough down, and let it rise again for another 30 minutes.

After the 30 minutes, punch the dough down again, then turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead it a few times, the divide it unto 6 even pieces.

Roll each of the 6 pieces into a rope about 15 inches long.

Place 3 ropes on one greased/oiled cookie sheet and the remaining 3 on another greased/oiled cookie sheet.

Braid the ropes, and pinch the ends together, then turn the ends under so it looks nice.

Let the dough rise again for 1 hour or until double in bulk.

Combine the reserved 2 Tbsp of egg and 1 Tbsp of water; LIGHTLY brush over the bread, then sprinkle with the seeds of your choice.

Bake in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes or until the braids are golden and sound hollow when tapped.

Place the baked challa loaves on racks to cool.

When cool EAT!!!! Makes great sandwiches and is good for anything you'd use bread for... Bread pudding, bread & butter, PB&J, subway style sandwiches, in place of a dinner roll, eaten with honey butter, etc.. :) You can also add golden raisins to it.

this lady also makes some nice challa bread & she shows you various ways to braid it, which i found interesting. :) enjoy!

http://www.ehow.com/video_2341006_tr...lah-bread.html