Thread: Burnt Cinnamon Fruit Cake

Post Burnt Cinnamon Fruit Cake

I could use a recipe or feed back if you have one.

I wonder if you are thinking of Black Cake? It is similar to a fruit cake, but has burnt sugar and cinnamon in it. I believe it is also called Trinidad fruit cake. I've got a recipe for Black Cake if you want it.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

That would be great.I'd sort of give up trying to find a good one.

Sorry it has taken so long - we are finishing up the end of our first semester and I have been swamped. Here's the black cake recipe:

1 pound raisins, chopped
    1 pound prunes, or dates, chopped
    1 pound dried currants, chopped
    1 pound glace cherries, chopped*
    6 ounces candied lemon peel, chopped**
    6 ouncces candied orange peel, chopped**
    3/4 liter passover wine (or any sweet red wine)
    3/4 liter dark rum
    2 pounds dark brown sugar
    4 1/4 c cake flour (I use regular and just sift it twice)
    4 t baking powder
    1/2 t nutmeg
    1 t cinnamon
    2 c butter
    10 eggs
    1 T vanilla

In a large bowl, mix all the fruits with the wine and rum. Cover and let sit at room temperature for two weeks.

In a heavy skillet, combine 1 pound brown sugar and 1 c water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg. Gently boil for several minutes, or until is it slightly "burnt" or dark brown, and thickened to about 1 3/4 c. Let cool.

Mix the flour and baking powder. with a mixer, cream the butter with the remaining sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in the vanilla, the flour mix, and 1 1/3 c of the burnt sugar syrup.

In another large bowl, mix the flour mixture and the fruit mixture. Divide the batter between two buttered and floured 10" springform pans (you can also use bread pans, but be sure not to fill them too full). Bake in the middle of a 350 degree preheated oven for two hours, or until a tooth pick comes out with some crumbs attached to it, and no dough. the centers will be very moist.

Let the cakes cool at room temperature. Remove the sides and bottoms of the pans and wrap in foil or wax paper. let the cakes set at room temperature for a week.

If you want to, you can roll out 3/4 c of almond paste for each cake and drape it over the top of each cake like icing or fondant.

If you want to ice it, mix 2 pounds of powdered sugar with 6 room temperature egg whites and 2 T lemon juice until stiff peaks form. Use a spatula to put the icing on the top and sides, then use a pastry bag to pipe designs on. Traditional decorations are dragees (pronounced Dra-Zays) and are colorful chocolate coated nuts and dried fruits or seeds. I don't do the icing or the candies.

*To make glace cherries if you can't find them in the store: Wash, stem, and pit 1 pound of cherries. Combine 2 c suar and 1/2 c water with a whisk over medium heat and bring to boil, stirring often. Add cherries and half of a lemon. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, or until the syrup is red and thickening. Put in a covered, airtight container and let stand overnight (or at least several hours). Strain the cherries, reserving the syrup. Discard the lemon half. Combine the syrup with 1 c of unsweetened apple juice and bring to a boil. Boil 5 minutes, then add the cherries. Reduce heat and cook over low until the syrup is thick, and around 220 degrees.

**To make candied peels if you can't find them in the store: Take 6 large citrus fruits. Cut the tops and bottoms off the fruit, then use a knife to score into quarters and remove the peels. Cut the peels into 1/4 inch wide strips and put them in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Drain. Cover with cold water again and bring to a boil a second time. Repeat twice more (for a total of 4 cold water/boil sequences). In a new saucepan, combine 4 1/2 c sugar and 1 1/2 c water. Whisk over medium heat. Bring to a boil and simmer for 8 or 9 minutes - to 230 degrees. Reduce heat and add peel slices (can mix citrus peels). Simmer gently about 45 minutes, or until the peels turn clear-ish. Do not stir - you can swirl the pan by the handle like you are shaking popcorn if you absolutely have to. Drain and roll in sugar. Dry for 4 or 5 hours before storing or cooking.
    We on this continent should never forget that men first crossed the Atlantic not to find soil for their ploughs but to secure liberty for their souls. ~Robert J. McCracken

"I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering...to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that, though the people support the Government, the Government should not support the people." Grover Cleveland

Wow ,thanks .I'll try to put this together soon.Your a real trooper having taken the time writing this, being so busy.

I really am sorry it took so long! I used to be much more on top of things, but this winter has been one thing after another.

The black cake is really good! None of us like fruit cake, but we all like the black cake. It's very moist and heavy, like a fruit cake, but tastes quite different.

When I make it, I usually use mini-loaf pans and give a bunch as gifts. I can make 1 springform for us and 4-5 miniloaves from one recipe.

The candied peels also make great gifts and look very pretty in a jar with a fabric lid.

Smile

looks good,not sure if I'll be able to find all the ingredients here in CR ,but will try.