Thread: canned chicken

Default canned chicken

I bought some canned Yoders chicken awhile back and haven't used any til recently. I can't remember what I put in it but think I followed directions on the can and it was terrible. I don't like soy sauce and that was one of the ingredients called for. Seems to me all it said to do was add worcerstershire sauce, soy sauce, and corn starch, then heat and eat.

It was just awful, though the chicken smelled okay when I opened the can and maybe if I had drained off the broth in it and just added mayonnaise, pickles, or celery and salt and pepper it would have been okay for chicken salad.
    Are any of you familiar with that chicken and if so what recipe do you use?
    Any and all recommendations appreciated.
    Studyin

We bought store store brand canned chicken before Y2K and ended up using it as cat food. That said, if you have to eat it, I found the best ways were either to add it to a chicken stew with lots of vegetables or other type of soup. It might be OK with a cream sauce in crapes or savory pancakes, but I don't tend to like that option myself, but it may be worth trying.

Good luck, if all else fails, you could make your own or a neighbor's cat very happy...live and learn...

PS I have not done this yet because my pressure canner needs parts, but I gather if you home can you chicken, you can add a savory broth and herbs of you own choice which would improve things.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Default canned chicken

I use this frequently in casseroles, soups, stir fry & chicken salad. Suppose you could put it in bar-be-que sauce & create a sandwich........
    It is handy to have in the pantry whenever folks drop in around meal time. Just experiment & use it in some of your recipes. Good luck.