Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone have mercy on an old man please. Fried Rice?????

Default Someone have mercy on an old man please. Fried Rice?????

I like fried rice

I have boiled the rice
    rinsed/not rinsed
    added it hot/added it cold
    undercooked it/overcooked it
    I've sauteed the veggies first and added the rice
    i've put the rice with the veggies.
    And what about the egg thing??

It ALWAYS turns to rice mush!!

I'm using a cast iron wok, high heat. What am I doing wrong????????
    Freedom is the ability to chose who or what you will be a slave to.

Without knowledge of good and evil how do you reason? If you cant reason how can you be free??

There are those who have opinions and then there is the Harriet Oleson Society and the Gnat and Camel Club

TNHermit... I haven't ever made it. But here's a recipe which may help (not for all the added stuff, unless you want to.. ginger? weird)... but the technique might help..
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/f...pe2/index.html

Summerthyme

I am not sure what you are doing wrong, but I make mine in stages.... I scramble up n egg, put it to the side, I cook up the rice..(usually brown rice) and instant at that) and set it aside. I grab the left over veggies, like broccolli or carrots, or what ever, sautee them lightly in EVOL. then I start throwing every thing in the one pan and a quick fry , adding some soy or sweet and sour, and it works for us.

hope you find the right way for you.

There are two ways I end up with mush:

Mushy/over cooked rice
    Mixing in the egg too soon

Here's how I do it (it's my version of fried rice, anyhow):

1. Take a tablespoon or so of butter and melt it all over the bottom of a skillet.
    2. Add cold leftover rice. Break up clumps and stir thoroughly, letting a little butter get all over every bit of rice.
    3. Once rice is evenly buttered and begins to sizzle a little, push it all over to one side of the pan.
    4. Put one or two scrambled eggs into the empty side of the pan. You can stir it a little, but the goal is to let it set, and try not to mix any rice in it.
    5. Once the egg is nearly done (very little liquid left), then break it up and mix in the rice.
    6. Add veggies, meat, whatever-you're-adding. Stir/flip continuously until heated through.

Hope that's helpful.

Hermit, here is my recipe that we both really like. I would suggest you cook the rice to the texture you prefer. If you leave it underdone the "refried" part of cooking won't cook the rice the rest of the way. I have also determined that the "refried" part works much better with cooked rice that has been refrigerated overnight. I also think that white rice is better than brown or wild rice.

This recipe is for about 1 c. refried rice. Add or delete the rest of the ingrediants as necessary.

Cook the rice and set aside. (2c water to 1 c rice)

Add 3 tbls oil (or butter or sesame oil) to heated saute pan.
    Fry onion/garlic/fresh ginger/ whatever flavors you like put together!!! in the hot oil until onion is translucent.

Add 2 beaten eggs and scramble (I like to keep the eggs in bigger chunks) and fry until done, 2-3 minutes.

Add the cooked rice, 3-4 tbls soy sauce, diced smaller pieces of veges (like carrots & peas) /pork /chicken, whatever you like.

Saute and stir until rice is reheated through and everything is mixed in well.

Sometimes I spice it up with a splash of hot Szechaun Sauce when I add the soy sauce.

My 2-cents:

I always use day-old rice. Leftover steamed rice from a carryout Chinese feast two to four days earlier makes great fried rice. Fresh rice hot or cooled always turns to mush, at least for me.

You may know this, but just in case -- hot pan, cold oil, food won't stick. Get the pan really, really hot then add the oil and it forms a non-stick coating. So, make sure you're using an oil that tolerates high temps, like peanut oil.

Then, stir quickly! Toss and stir, toss and stir, keep it moving.

Good luck!

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love, because He first loved us. -- I John 4:18-19

Whoever derides their neighbor has no sense, but the one who has understanding holds their tongue. -- Proverbs 11:12.

Thanks guys

IT seems like I pretty much do what you guys do. but it never has that :fluffyness" LOL to it. When you eat out fried rice everything is mixed together but still separate. (does that make sense :) ).

Mine you can make wet snow balls out of. I have to keep trying

I like the rice cause you can put left over meat and veggies in it.

Without knowledge of good and evil how do you reason? If you cant reason how can you be free??

There are those who have opinions and then there is the Harriet Oleson Society and the Gnat and Camel Club

If rice isn't working out maybe pasta would? I break angel hair pasta into short pieces before I boil it, then after I boil it I add in a homemade teriyaki sauce with some vegetables. It's very similar to lo mein, and much faster than fried rice.

Kayleigh

Basically it sounds to me as if you are "cooking" the dish way too long after you have added the rice. I add the rice last, after the veggies are the right texture for my taste and then dump the cold, at least day-old rice in, quickly break up and stir in the veggies as you add soy sauce and as soon as the rice is heated, remove from the pan. It should still be separate grains and "fluffy". I do a LOT of stirring for this dish.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaners View Post
    If rice isn't working out maybe pasta would? I break angel hair pasta into short pieces before I boil it, then after I boil it I add in a homemade teriyaki sauce with some vegetables. It's very similar to lo mein, and much faster than fried rice.

Kayleigh
    I'm not givin up on the fried rice (ya all know I'm a bullhead ) But this sounds good too.