Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Someone have mercy on an old man please. Fried Rice?????

I agree on the steaming... I only use a regular (heavyweight, triple insulated bottom) stainless steel kettle to cook rice. I put twice as much water as rice in the pan, add a bit of salt (or boullion or other seasoning), and bring it to a boil. Then I cover it and turn off the heat. 25 or so minutes later, I have perfectly cooked, tender and fluffy rice.

The recipes I read for fried rice all seem in agreement that "24 hour old" rice is much better for them than freshly cooked. So steam up some rice, and stash it in the fridge overnight, then try again...

Summerthyme

First: Start with Oriental Rice - Jasmine is good, if you can't find it get Basmati. Yes, it is more expensive, but if you are just making it for you, get small packs as a treat. Once you get better at it, you can experiment with brown rice and even American Long grain. Neither will work as well, but it can be made into something edible after you practice a bit.

Second: as others have said, steam the rice. I do the "Southern Method" but use LESS water. That's another thing, most rice is 1 cup rice to 2 cups water. For good dry rice use 1 cup rice to 1 1/2 cups water. Add a teaspoon of oil and a pinch of salt while cooking.

Use Southern Method if you don't have a rice steamer. Cover, bring to a rapid boil, check and then re-cover and turn way down. DO NOT OPEN for twenty minutes (unless of course you smell burning, then give rice to dog and start over, I've done this).

Third: as others have set, don't use fresh rice if you can avoid it. Let it sit in the fridge over night.

Fourth: Use the Right Oil, Peanut Oil is best, Corn oil is next, followed by Sesame, followed by lard, butter and olive oil. If you have to use olive oil, you are better off trying for an Italian risotto type of dish (meat & veg mixed with rice) because it simply will not get hot enough to fry the rice in the correct way. Butter will often burn before it gets the job done too. You can make good tasting stuff with other oils, but lower heat oils will not "fry" your rice the way you want it too.

Fifth: stir fry veggies first, remove and set aside. Fry rice last and have egg already whipped and ready to put in. Unless you are feeding five people, one egg is usually enough.

Sixth: fry rice in the very hot oil quickly, then turn down a bit and add veggies, egg and some soy sauce if you are going to do that.

Remove quickly from pan into a dish or bowl to prevent over cooking.

In my experience, left over fried rice is going to turn mushy no matter what you do, but fresh fried rice is usually crunchy if the oils are hot enough, the pan not too crowded and it does not cook too long.

Left over fried rice is better under something like left over stir fried beef, rather than by itself. That way the mush does not matter so much. Again, if you are not in a pinch, dogs also love the left overs and they don't care about mush. Though be wary of giving them too high a dose of soy sauce with all that sodium in it if they are elderly.

Hope that helps,
    DC

PS - I think the yellow rice is done with tumeric, but it is probably on-line somewhere. Living here, until just a few years ago, if I wanted anything that was not potatoes, carrots or the sweet and sour from the "take-away" (Fast Food) I had to learn to make it or do without. The internet has been a real help!
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Quote Originally Posted by Texaslil View Post
    Hermit, you can't get really fluffy rice by boiling,,. It has to be STEAMED. That how the chinese restaurants do it. If you can't invest in a rice steamer, try cooking it on such lo;w heat that you don't have to stir it. The stirring breaks it up. Also use long grained rice. short grain, or basmati gets sticky. I hate sticky rice and so I invested in a rice steamer a long itme ago. If you can't, bring 2 cups of water and one cup of rice to a boil, then turn off the heat. and cover. If it's not done in about 30 minutes, put the heat on the lowest to finish and don't stir. Also you can try washing the rice to get rid of any exces starch which has a tendency to make for more sticky. Good luck
    Oh, yeah I forgot about rinsing the rice before you cook it to remove excess starch. Especially basmati rice. I rinse it in cold water several times till the water is fairly clear. I say 'fairly' for I don't think it will get compeletly clear.

And as to fried rice being yellow I agree it's probably tumeric that is used for flavor.
    Isa 5:20 Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

1 John 2:3 ¶ And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

LOL...You guys never fail to occupy my boys imagination when it comes to the kitchen. Youngest read DC's post, muttered hum while rubbing his chin, grinned at me and bailed for the kitcehn. I can hear cabinet doors opening and closing and all sorts of rattling/clanging going on in there. I think I'll just let them do supper and stay clear of the kitchen...LOL

Two things friend. I think...you may need LONG grain rice. Cook and let set overnight in fridge. When you have everything lined up and ready to go....toss your veggies into a very hot pan that has just enough oil to swirl around it (A STEEL wok is best). Add your egg that has been beaten last and only till just cooked through and stir like crazy ... fast. Hope this helps you. Good luck. AL

NOT AUTHENTIC, BUT PERFECT RESULTS EVERY TIME

1) Cook rice.
    2) While it cooks, cut & cook the veggies you want (cut into small pieces); nuke them, saute them, fry them - whatever you want.
    3) If you are adding meat, be sure it's been pre-cooked too (cut into small pieces).
    4) Stir the cooked veggies and meat together in hot pan with a bit of oil or cooking spray for a minute or two. If you want scrambled egg, cook it separately, then cut up but don't add yet.
    5) In a microwave bowl or pan, stir together the rice, meat and veggies (no sauce yet). Cook 1 minute, covered; stir then cook another minute or until your microwave gets it good and hot (longer if you are making a larger portion). If you cooked egg, stir it in now.

Pass soy sauce separately. No mush, great flavor and perfect texture.
    And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. I Thess. 5:23

Default fried rice

Tnhermit. here is my recipe for fried rice. i cut bacon in bite size pieces and brown in large skillet or wock if available. then i take out the bacon and add diced pork an brown. when the is done remove from grease. use just enough bacon grease to cook vegs. I slice up carrots celery and onions,add to skillet cook till they start to soften. add meat and any frozen or other fresh vegs you like. and cook for a few moments. For the rice use what you like, me i use long grain white rice, what ever amount of rice you use, use twice as much water, bring water to boil add a dash of salt and rice, when water returns to boil turn heat to low and cover, after 10 min. check rice. it might need afew more minute,you be the judge. you can cook the rice early if you like. I also cook scrambled eggs and set aside. back to meat and vegs. when vegs still have a bite of crunch add rice and cut up scrambled. when all mixed up i add a little soy sauce and some worchester sauce, add some kimchee and you have a meal. I learned this recipe from a very good freind who happens to be from korea. hope it works out for you.

Ok Hermit...I am now waiting for the proposals of marriage to the single ladies here who have taken pity on little ole' you AL

Fuzzy Hubby and DD thank you all. I was stumped about supper last night. I had leftover baked chicken that needed eating, but wasn't in the mood for all my usual leftover chicken recipes.

Then I read this thread.

I quick cooked some rice, tossed it into the fridge, took DD to Taekwon Do, came back and made fried rice! Fuzzy Hubby took the (few) leftovers for lunch today.

Thank you. I was told I was brilliant, and that it's a "keeper" recipe!

drive

Quote Originally Posted by driveshesaid View Post
    Fuzzy Hubby and DD thank you all. I was stumped about supper last night. I had leftover baked chicken that needed eating, but wasn't in the mood for all my usual leftover chicken recipes.

Then I read this thread.

I quick cooked some rice, tossed it into the fridge, took DD to Taekwon Do, came back and made fried rice! Fuzzy Hubby took the (few) leftovers for lunch today.

Thank you. I was told I was brilliant, and that it's a "keeper" recipe!

drive
    Love leftover chicken in a homemade chicken pot pie. Yummy. Tho' I will agree definitely not non-fattening. But, hey, we are only going this way once and I am still narrow enough to sit in a regular chair AL