Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where are the people?

dreadstalker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Caplock50 View Post
    Your dog is out chasing a rabbit. The dog's front legs are traveling at 40 miles an hour. What are the hind legs doing?
    Last time I looked they were hauling a**.

dreadstalker, you got it! They be haulin' butt.

And about the smoke question, if you look at it very 'technically', the column of smoke from my fire is leaning in the direction of travel of the train...if considered from a point(way) outside the train car. If viewed only from inside the car, it'd be going straight up.
    You say 'trigger-happy cowboy' as if it were a bad thing.
    No surrender; No retreat!
    If we fight, victory is not certain; if we do *not* fight, defeat surely is.
    If they come hunting for me; they can consider themselves lucky if they *don't* find me.
    I am the Winter Warrior.

And about the smoke question, if you look at it very 'technically', the column of smoke from my fire is leaning in the direction of travel of the train...if considered from a point(way) outside the train car. If viewed only from inside the car, it'd be going straight up.
    Awright, Caplock. I'm at your mercy. Please help me understand what it is I am missing.

To me, "straight up" means vertical. As I understand it, all lines that intersect the precise center of the Earth are vertical. Up is up, no matter where on the Earth you are standing, which is why Flynn's hair still lies flat on his head down at the South Pole, unless he has read John G.'s most recent rant.

Let's say the railroad car is made of glass, so we can see it from a vantage point outside the train. Why would the smoke appear to lean in the direction of travel?

Please answer as though you are talking to a five-year-old. I have to draw pictures to do story problems in math . . .
    All best,
    Cyberiot

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein

Oh, wait. I need more information. Is there a hole in the top of the boxcar?

If so, then why wouldn't the smoke trail toward the caboose--opposite the direction of travel?

Daggone it, you're gonna break my sorry brain.
    All best,
    Cyberiot

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig. –Robert Heinlein

Cool

This is something that is talked about in depth in the book "a Brief History of Time..." it was really interesting. The idea that they used was about a bouncing ball though (I think )...

Ferris, yeah, a bouncing ball would probably be easier to explain than my column of smoke. But,...

cyberiot, If viewed from outside the transparant boxcar, you will associate external objects with the smoke's rise. Let's say the car is moving from left to right of you, and is moving 5 feet a minute. If a puff of smoke escapes the fire and you watch it rise for one minute...the car will have moved 5 feet...and the puff of smoke will have moved that same 5 feet...and in the same direction as the car has moved...forward. Now, to an observer *in* the car, the smoke will have only gone straight up. Same with the bouncing ball.
    If they come hunting for me; they can consider themselves lucky if they *don't* find me.
    I am the Winter Warrior.

Ferris, yeah, a bouncing ball would probably be easier to explain than my column of smoke. But,...

cyberiot, If viewed from outside the transparant boxcar, you will associate external objects with the smoke's rise. Let's say the car is moving from left to right of you, and is moving 5 feet a minute. If a puff of smoke escapes the fire and you watch it rise for one minute...the car will have moved 5 feet...and the puff of smoke will have moved that same 5 feet...and in the same direction as the car has moved...forward. Now, to an observer *in* the car, the smoke will have only gone straight up. Same with the bouncing ball.
    Oh! . . . Oh!!!! . . . I GET IT!!!! I GET IT!!!! I GET IT!!!! WOOHOO!!!

I was ramping up to ask more questions, then you turned the lightbulb went on. Daggone it, Caplock, where were you when I was taking science class? I was operating under a faulty set of premises, the chief one being that the smoke would be wafting at an angle other than perpendicular to the boxcar floor. Bad premise, bad results. D'oh!

Thanks for taking the time to help me connect the dots. I really don't wanna die stupid, if I can help it.
    Last edited by cyberiot; 12-07-2008 at 01:56 AM.
    All best,
    Cyberiot

Well, cyberiot, you got no worries there, Friend. You ain't going to die stupid...because you ain't stupid. If you were, you wouldn't be a member here. Er, this *is* the Mensa website, isn't it?
    I am the Winter Warrior.

Looks like Wyoming, Montana, and Nevada may be the places to be should the world, as we know it, crumble. I run a delivery route in the Rocky Mountains west of Denver. You might think that we could run to "them thar hills" but there are as many people living there as there are in Denver. It's a madhouse in many mountain towns and hamlet communities.
    John 1:17,
    "For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ."

Quote Originally Posted by ssonb View Post
    The answer....400 sq miles or a square 20mi x20mi or fer us southerners they will all fit inside the 285 loop around Atlanta.
    I thought they were all inside the loop. Or is that just rush hour?