Thread: Fried Black-Eyed Peas

Default Fried Black-Eyed Peas

On Food Network, there is a show called "The Best Thing I Ever Ate". Food Network celebrities share their favorite foods in whatever category that particular show is about.

The other day, it was about 'unexpected foods'. Alton Brown's choice was Fried Black-Eyed Peas from a restaurant called Relish in Roswell, Georgia. They showed how they made them and it was enough information for me to try making them. They worked out pretty well, although I think it's a lot of trouble for a snack. Still, we liked them enough that I'd make them again.

Here is my recipe~

Fried Black-Eyed Peas

1 lb. black-eyed peas
    1 onion, quartered
    3 cloves garlic, sliced
    1 heaping teaspoon pickled jalapenos
    Old Bay seasoning
    oil for deep frying

Pick over the peas, removing any debris, rocks, and bad or broken peas. Place in large pot, cover with cold water, twice as deep as the peas, cover, and soak overnight.

The next morning, drain peas and add fresh water. Add onion, garlic, and jalapenos. Cook on medium, covered (or partially covered), until peas are just tender. Drain well and remove onion, garlic, and as many of the jalapenos as you can find. Spread on a cookie sheet to cool.

Once cool, place cookie sheet in refrigerator (uncovered) for a couple of hours or overnight. This step is not essential, but will assure that the peas are dry before you fry them, which will help prevent the grease from foaming and popping too much.

Heat oil to 375°. Slowly lower the peas into the hot grease, working in batches. They will foam quite a bit, so don't be afraid to take them out of the grease to let the foam subside, even several times, if necessary.

Once the foaming lessens, fry peas for 6-8 minutes, or until you can see that they're starting to brown a bit. Drain grease and put peas into a bowl. Sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning and salt, to taste. Let them cool a little before eating so they'll be crunchy.

Makes about 6 cups.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

When I was growing up we had fried peas almost every time we had left over peas. They weren't deep fried and they could be blackeyed or any type of field pea. The first night my mama boiled them and then the next night for leftovers she drained them and then sauted them in oil in a pan on top of the stove with whatever seasonings she had (it varied). They were delicious and were always my favorite way to eat them. I make my leftover peas like that now also.

Riley, wouldn't that be something like refried beans?

This recipe makes a snack that is somewhat similar to roasted peanuts.
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown

Yes, it's totally different from your recipe, it just reminded me of it. They are not mushy like refried beans though, they are pretty crispy but not like you describe in your recipe.

Your recipe sounds like something I would like, too, especially if they were fried in bacon grease.

When my friend lived here who was allergic to wheat (and expecting a baby), we did a version of this but we mixed corn meal into the left over beans before making the balls. Also, we did not use chilies but did use other herbs and spices. The results were a lot like falafel, which is pretty much chick peas done the same way.
    expatriate Californian living in rural Ireland with husband, dogs, horses. garden and many, many cats

Once the peas got cold, they got mushy, so I reheated them today. I put them in the (cold) toaster oven and turned the temperature to 400. In 15 minutes they were hot and bubbly. The kids said they were even better than yesterday. I couldn't tell much difference, but they WERE crisp and hot. They didn't need any additional seasoning.

pea patties are real good too----take your cooked black eye peas, mash them up real good, add an egg, cracker crumbs or bread crumbs, salt, pepper, chopped onion, etc and make patties, treat it as tho you are making meat loaf patties, then fry them up. they really are very good. add a bun, lettuce, tomato, and its like having a hamburger.

if you add some janes crazy salt, they taste just like sausage patties for breakfast.

i used to make these and grill them. dont let them be too wet or they can fall apart. i havent tried other beans, but id think it would probably work.

i think you can put this mix in a loaf pan too, but im not sure of the cooking length, tho i have made a lentil loaf before now that i think about it.

but try the pea patties sometime.
    There is Only Jesus--no other worthy of honors or prayers or devotion. Anything or anyone else are end times deceptions distracting us from fully knowing Christ. There is No Other.

CANNABIS MEDICINE RECIPES & INFO
    https://cannacancerblog.wordpress.com/blog/

Jazzy, I make those pea patties, too! The kids love them, but not hubby, so I make them for lunch. They really are good (even if hubby doesn't like them)

Instead of salt, I add beef soup base. Makes them taste even more meaty.