Thread: Pickled Beets

Default Pickled Beets

Found this recipe in Better Homes & Gardens Home Canning Cook Book copyright 1973. Thought it was just a touch too vinegary so I tweaked the sugar up a bit to satisfy my taste.

3 lbs small whole beets
    2 cups vinegar
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup (on the heavy side of 1/2) sugar
    1 tsp whole allspice
    3 whole cloves
    3'' stick cinnamon

Wash beets, leaving on root and 1'' of tops. Cover beets with boiling water; simmer 25 minutes. Drain. Slip off skins and trim beets. In large kettle combine vinegar, water and sugar. Tie allspice, cloves and cinnamon in cheesecloth bag. Add spice bag to pickling liquid. Bring to boinling; simmer 15 minutes. Pack beets into hot jars, leaving 1/2'' headspace. Cover beets with boiling pickling liquid, leaving 1/2'' headspace. Adjust lids. Process in boiling water bath. 1/2 pints 30 minutes

Makes 3 half-pints.

as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

Quote Originally Posted by A Simple Pine Box View Post
    Found this recipe in Better Homes & Gardens Home Canning Cook Book copyright 1973. Thought it was just a touch too vinegary so I tweaked the sugar up a bit to satisfy my taste.

3 lbs small whole beets
    2 cups vinegar
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup (on the heavy side of 1/2) sugar
    1 tsp whole allspice
    3 whole cloves
    3'' stick cinnamon

Wash beets, leaving on root and 1'' of tops. Cover beets with boiling water; simmer 25 minutes. Drain. Slip off skins and trim beets. In large kettle combine vinegar, water and sugar. Tie allspice, cloves and cinnamon in cheesecloth bag. Add spice bag to pickling liquid. Bring to boinling; simmer 15 minutes. Pack beets into hot jars, leaving 1/2'' headspace. Cover beets with boiling pickling liquid, leaving 1/2'' headspace. Adjust lids. Process in boiling water bath. 1/2 pints 30 minutes

Makes 3 half-pints.
    yay! i'm so glad you posted this. thank you!

cinnamon, huh? i never would have thought.

in lieu of a cheesecloth bag, could i cut a piece out of an old (clean) t-shirt and make my own?
    Respect God. Love your family. What else is there?

Quote Originally Posted by patticakes View Post
    yay! i'm so glad you posted this. thank you!

cinnamon, huh? i never would have thought.

in lieu of a cheesecloth bag, could i cut a piece out of an old (clean) t-shirt and make my own?
    Sure, that would work as long as the liquids could seep through. I don't always have cheesecloth on hand and I have just dumped all the spices into the liquid to boil. You can also use ground spices which leaves residue in the bottom of the jars.

oh, i can't wait to try this! thanks.

Under the heading "different folks, different strokes".....my family uses 1 part vinegar (real cider) to one part sugar and a little salt (my aunt said, if I remember). Pour over beets and process according to Blue Book. In other words not everyone likes spices in their beet pickles. lol

LC

Quote Originally Posted by patticakes View Post
    oh, i can't wait to try this! thanks.
    Me too! This will be my first year growing beets. Also first for canning beets. I know people around here who can beets and sell them for $7-10 a quart. I plan to just eat them -all.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    Me too! This will be my first year growing beets. Also first for canning beets. I know people around here who can beets and sell them for $7-10 a quart. I plan to just eat them -all.

That's what someone else was saying on another thread. Her DH had bought pickled beets for $7/qt. Wow! I have never bought them or even thought to look at them to see how much they cost. Pickled beets is one of those foods that I grew up on, like apple butter. My mother always made them and canned them every year.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    i'm like you minnie. i plan to eat them ALL! my quarts would never make it to the fruit stand. haha, or i'd be selling half-eaten quarts.

Thumbs up Pickled Beets

I use the recipe for pickled beets that is in the Ball Blue Book using only beets, sugar, salt vinegar, water and cloves. They are the best.