The Tree Of Liberty  

Go Back   The Tree Of Liberty > Public > The Kitchen > The Parlor

The Parlor Sewing , Crafts, and Home Making

Old 02-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Esquire

Default More laundry soap recipes

New blog I found today with many recipes and ideas. Also a good recipe for cabbage rolls that I'm in the mood to try. She suggests freezing the cabbage to make it soft first instead of boiling.

http://www.mennonitegirlscancook.ca/...ndry-soap.html
Old 02-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Citizen

Thanks for the link. It looks like an interesting blog to read.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Land Owner

My Mom made the laundry soap recipe that you boil on the stove. It boiled over, and she didn't think it did a good job cleaning, but propbably because the ingredients weren't in the right concentratiuon after it boiled over.
Now we both use a dry, no-cook recipe that does a great job:

Homemade powdered laundry soap recipe

Ingredients:
1 bar Ivory Soap (or 2/3 bar Fels Naptha)
1/2 cup Borax
1/2 cup Washing Soda (this isn't the same as baking soda)
Grate 1 bar of Ivory soap (or other not strongly scented bar soap). Add 1/2 cup of borax. Add 1/2 cup washing soda. Mix together and store in air tight container. Use 1-2 tablespoons per load.

I found all of the ingredients at the local Walmart. I doubled the recipe and added cup of tsp (trisodium phosphate.) I use a little more than 2 tbsp per load, though.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Senator

I have never seen or heard of Sunlight soap.
Good site Thanks for posting.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Citizen

The recipe I use I found on Chickensintheroad.com
Old 03-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Land Owner

I finally had to stop using the homemade stuff, as it not only didn't work well at cleaning the clothes, but over time made them dingy and they smelled horribly musty. Switch to a store bought, and no problems...stink is gone, clothes get clean, and they don't look dingy...I had used it for almost two years, and it had just progressively worse.

I am using the Xtra brand liquid, which I can get for $5/116 loads (actually more than that, cause I have an HE machine and so I don't need to use as much)...

Rachel
"For the time will come when people will not tolerate sound doctrine, but, following their own desires will surround themselves with teachers who tickle their ears. They will stop listening to the truth and wander off to fables." (2 Timothy 4:3-4).