The Tree Of Liberty The Tree Of Liberty  

Go Back   The Tree Of Liberty > Public > Committees of Correspondence

Committees of Correspondence Hard News And Discussion Amongst Citizens Of The Tree

Old 03-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Esquire

Default Priest who denied communion to lesbian at funeral is placed on administrative leave b

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1037324

Quote:
Johnson told the Washington Post that the priest "put his hand over the body of Christ and looked at me and said, 'I can't give you communion because you live with a woman and in the eyes of the church that is a sin.'"

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz1oumAG9ld
Old 03-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Judge

I thought sinners were the ones who needed Christ the most?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Thomason View Post
Now now, don't confuse the issue
Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Senator

Quote:
You must confess your sin and promise to repent from it to receive communion. Willfully embracing sin makes communion meaningless for the willful sinner, and would be unethical for a priest to adminster an unholy communion.
"See, in the last few years...we've stumbled... And when you stumble a lot, you...you start looking at your feet. We have to make people...lift their eyes back to the horizon and see the line of ancestors behind us saying, 'Make my life have meaning.' And to our inheritors before us saying, 'Create the world we will live in.' I mean, we're not just holding jobs and having dinner. We are in the process of building the future."

Outbound

The Frigid Times
http://www.frigidtimes.blogspot.com/

Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Senator

Quote:
Unrepentant sinners have denied Christ. Denying her the sacrament of communion was appropriate.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Esquire

Sounds like he took the appropriate action. I had to go read the OP's article to make sure he is a Catholic priest. I thought the Catholic Church's stance on communion for gays was clear?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Senator

And here I thought repentence was meant to get closer to Him by turning from unrighteousness that keeps us separated.

Since the New Covenant is about spiritual things, the PHYSICAL tradition of communion has limited value in the TRUE scope of things.

Even if the priest DID give the lesbian communion... would that have CHANGED God's intimate relationship with someone who doesnt acknowledge their sin, and doesnt consider it a sin that needs repentence?

So in the end... the whole thing is sophistry anyway.

The Daily Economist
http://www.thedailyeconomist.com
Old 03-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Senator

Who invented the ceremony of communion?

Give her the wafer. God will judge her, that is not the priest's job.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Senator

Default +1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSearcher View Post
You must confess your sin and promise to repent from it to receive communion. Willfully embracing sin makes communion meaningless for the willful sinner, and would be unethical for a priest to adminster an unholy communion.
The repentance (and sincere subsequent praying for forgiveness of that sin from God) must precede the communion, as I understand it.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Senator

I am not a Catholic but it seems to me that this man was not only following his beliefs but also the teachings of the church and now they punish him. Geez. And this is the same church that for years and years his/protected priest that abused children. Now I am confused because from my point of view the priest is correct in his actions while the church seems more and more like a politician going whichever way the wind blows and trying to cover up or gloss over anything that anyone might find objectionable.