Page 32 of 154 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Bought 100 lbs of Jasmine Rice and a case of Rice Noodles.

Last night I was thinking, if there was a large terrorist attack in my area, all ambulances would be diverted to the disaster area. If I'm injured I could be on my own, so I started carrying an Israeli Bandage in a small pouch on my belt.

Quote Originally Posted by John8:32 View Post
    Bought 100 lbs of Jasmine Rice and a case of Rice Noodles.

Dont forget the wasabi powder and soy sauce

o btw...

I praticed setting up a tarp shelter and cooked breakfest and lunch over and open fire and I gathered the firewood from my forest ie dead hanging branches.

bought onions at Sam's had been waiting for the price to come down all summer it hit $17.86+/- for a 50# bag several weeks back and missed my opportunity and the price shot back up to $18.86! Will start processing them in various formats this coming week. Will make up some batter and then dip slices in the batter and freeze them on a cookie sheet and bag them after they are good and frozen. Will make french onion soup. Will chop some and freeze, will dehydrate others. Some I'll bake with roasts and the like.

The clerk at Sam's a young gal wanted to know what we'd do with all of those onions and OC chirped... eat them of course! I told her that they'd probably all be gone by January, and if I do any late season canning, of soups etc., which I tend to do a lot of in the winter, then they will disappear fast. I use one large onion for 4 quarts of ham and bean soup, and I'd say at least one for 4 quarts of chili.

K-
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

PW... have you tried freezing them in batter before? I'm guessing you'd be a lot happier with the results if you deep fry them until they're pale gold before freezing... it's how I do french fries...

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Hermantribe View Post
    I made 8 lbs of hamburger into rocks (all I afford).

Quite alright!! That's 8lbs that you didn't have before and 8lbs more than the average Joe has sitting in on their shelve and certainly not preserved like you have it. A little bit here and a little bit there - it all adds up!
    'You have been warned of what they will do, you have a choice.
    Sit quiet and do nothing, wait until your hands are bound behind your back,
    and you are on your knees in a ditch, begging for your life!
    Or as an American, you had the privilege to be born free,
    If you wish to die free you better get up off your ass and make it happen.
    Stand and fight damn-it, if not these just might be the last words your hear,
    ‘AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar!'

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    PW... have you tried freezing them in batter before? I'm guessing you'd be a lot happier with the results if you deep fry them until they're pale gold before freezing... it's how I do french fries...

Summerthyme
    Aside from the color what else should I look for so that I don't over cook them?

K-

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post

Summerthyme

Oh and when you do your french fries do you par boil the potatoes BEFORE you par fry them?

K-

Joan of Arc

On the french fries... nope, I just do them raw. Color is the best indicator... you want them about 3/4 of the way to "done". Then you can either deep fry them or simply put them in a hot oven (400-450°) for as long as it takes to get them a nice, toasty golden brown and hot all the way through...

Summerthyme