Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just diagnoised with Guillian Barre Syndrome

You are going to need to do a lot of research and take what you read with a grain of salt.
    Neurologic wasting diseases are hard to diagnose and we still don't fully understand the
    process. There are a lot of factors involved but diet and exposure are likely factors and changes in diet may help.
    Pleasing your enemies does not turn them into friends.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by nvscanman View Post
    You are going to need to do a lot of research and take what you read with a grain of salt.
    Neurologic wasting diseases are hard to diagnose and we still don't fully understand the
    process. There are a lot of factors involved but diet and exposure are likely factors and changes in diet may help.
    Many of them are also caused by chronic infections as was discovered about five years ago in Britian. It started with a guy who had uncontrollable schizophrenia, it never responded to the antipsychotics, and he developed a rather serious infection whilest in the booby hatch... they treated him with antibiotics and he was better within days. NOTE that this doesn't work for ALL TYPES of schizophrenia. They, docs in various countries are now doing research with low dosage antibiotics on patients with a variety of mental illnesses and rheumetoid disesaes including alzheimers (sp?) which is showing a postive response to the low dose antibiotic.

Will try and find the paper and post it here but I've been having problems getting onto the tree tonight.

ETA: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...a-7469121.html

Remember many of these diseases are imflammatory diseases, so what caused the imflammation???
    Last edited by packyderms_wife; 03-04-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added link
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Many of them are also caused by chronic infections as was discovered about five years ago in Britian. It started with a guy who had uncontrollable schizophrenia, it never responded to the antipsychotics, and he developed a rather serious infection whilest in the booby hatch... they treated him with antibiotics and he was better within days. NOTE that this doesn't work for ALL TYPES of schizophrenia. They, docs in various countries are now doing research with low dosage antibiotics on patients with a variety of mental illnesses and rheumetoid disesaes including alzheimers (sp?) which is showing a postive response to the low dose antibiotic.

Will try and find the paper and post it here but I've been having problems getting onto the tree tonight.
    I'm sure some manifestations of neurologic disorders that look like MS and other
    demyelinizing processes are caused by infectious agents. The Herpes virus lives
    in the neural ganglia and can cause a plethora of symptoms, in older patients the
    most common manifestation is "shingles", a very painful nerve based process that
    can be debilitating. I'm sure there are plenty of infectious agents other than viruii
    like Herpes that can manifest as neurologic disease.
    Pleasing your enemies does not turn them into friends.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by nvscanman View Post
    I'm sure some manifestations of neurologic disorders that look like MS and other
    demyelinizing processes are caused by infectious agents. The Herpes virus lives
    in the neural ganglia and can cause a plethora of symptoms, in older patients the
    most common manifestation is "shingles", a very painful nerve based process that
    can be debilitating. I'm sure there are plenty of infectious agents other than viruii
    like Herpes that can manifest as neurologic disease.

there are several that result from mosquito bites, and then there are tick bites.

K-

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    I am going back to the
    neurologist, because the last MRI they did on my brain, back a few
    years ago, there were dark spots, and when I read the report it kept
    mentioning "demyelination"...........

A Simple Pine Box, I'm sorry that you suffer from MS. What are you
    taking/doing for it? It does affet different people in various ways, with
    some becoming disabled quickly, while not affecting others as fast.

I would suggest that you do go back to the dr - at the very least you would have a name for the symptoms you are suffering. About 10 yrs ago I took the shots that were available for MS. I took Rebif for around a year (among other problems, it gave me the worst migraines I've ever had) and then I took Copaxone for 2 years (also gave me headaches among other symptoms). I have been off the drugs now and DO NOT EVER plan to take the drugs again.

It's been 23 years since I was diagnosed. It has only been in the last few years that I've been really struggling with MS. I'm using walking aids now and we bought an electric scooter last year. What an energy saver that is! I can actually go shopping with my family and keep up with them!

Quote Originally Posted by A Simple Pine Box View Post
    I would suggest that you do go back to the dr - at the very least you would have a name for the symptoms you are suffering. About 10 yrs ago I took the shots that were available for MS. I took Rebif for around a year (among other problems, it gave me the worst migraines I've ever had) and then I took Copaxone for 2 years (also gave me headaches among other symptoms). I have been off the drugs now and DO NOT EVER plan to take the drugs again.

It's been 23 years since I was diagnosed. It has only been in the last few years that I've been really struggling with MS. I'm using walking aids now and we bought an electric scooter last year. What an energy saver that is! I can actually go shopping with my family and keep up with them!
    Have you been following Montel Williams progress with MS? He's been doing a lot of alternatives and has been seeing great results.

K-

Joan of Arc

Thank you for all the input. I checked out the links that were posted. I had already seen the last 2 but the first 2 were new to me. I have been hunting for the herbal list that was mentioned but havnt found it yet. If someone could post a link that would help.

I have never had to search for a doctor before...how would I even begin the search?? I dont know where to start.

I am really trying hard to keep positive. But it is so hard. I am used to being able to do it all...and now it is all I can do just to get up each day. i just want this to go away...but I know I am stuck with it for now...The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that others have been through it and came out of it almost normal.

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Have you been following Montel Williams progress with MS? He's been doing a lot of alternatives and has been seeing great results.

K-
    Yes,I've heard him talk. It hit him hard from day 1. It was a very short time before he was in a wheelchair and not able to take care of himself. The venue he has chosen seems to work for him.

Quote Originally Posted by nikki1843 View Post
    Thank you for all the input. I checked out the links that were posted. I had already seen the last 2 but the first 2 were new to me. I have been hunting for the herbal list that was mentioned but havnt found it yet. If someone could post a link that would help.

I have never had to search for a doctor before...how would I even begin the search?? I dont know where to start.

I am really trying hard to keep positive. But it is so hard. I am used to being able to do it all...and now it is all I can do just to get up each day. i just want this to go away...but I know I am stuck with it for now...The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that others have been through it and came out of it almost normal.
    http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/herb

Joan of Arc

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky View Post
    My Father fought MS symptoms for years. He took B-12 shots,
    his legs would buckle from underneath him sometimes, and he ended
    up using a cane, but he didn't end up in a wheel chair. He was a
    fighter and I think that was half of the battle. I am going back to the
    neurologist, because the last MRI they did on my brain, back a few
    years ago, there were dark spots, and when I read the report it kept
    mentioning "demyelination"...........

A degenerative process that erodes away the myelin sheath that normally protects
    nerve fibers. Demyelination exposes these fibers and appears to cause problems in
    nerve impulse conduction
    that may affect many physical systems. Demyelinization is seen in a number of diseases,
    articularly multiple sclerosis.
    Diagnosis is by functional observation and by testing for myelin protein in the blood.

Dad always wanted me to go be tested for MS, as he said that I
    have quite a few of the same symptoms as he did.....he passed away,
    and I had never gone for tests. The neurologist wants me to come
    back for further testing. I seem to be the kid (out of four of us) who
    has the same diseases/ailments as both of my parents, including
    otosclerosis.

A Simple Pine Box, I'm sorry that you suffer from MS. What are you
    taking/doing for it? It does affet different people in various ways, with
    some becoming disabled quickly, while not affecting others as fast.
    Pinky, do you know how much and how often you father used B12 shots?

I am chronically low despite giving myself 2 units a week. 1000mcg or 33,000 times the daily dose. The VA insists I have fibromyalagia. I was in the Lymerix vaccine test trials for Lyme disease. They had to take the vaccine off the market because of so many bad complications.

The test to decide whether it is Lyme disease or ? the VA won't do. Every once in a while I get pain epsiodes where even Norco10 won't break the pain. A shot of toridol will. This past week I felt a pain attack coming on. With the new baby being early and everything going on in the house I didn't want to ask for a ride to the VA ER. That can be an all day affair.

I was reading on the net and happenned to see where one doctor was treating CFS, Fibro, and Lyme with high doses of B12. I did 2000 twice one day and 2000 a day for the last three days. I am a little stiff today because I did part of the lawn mowing yesterday but normally I would have had to spend a few days in bed if I didn't have a toradol shot.

I think the doctors are flying blind on a lot of diseases. Similar symptoms so they pick one.