Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stablizing eggs and cheese for storage

Default stablizing eggs and cheese for storage

ok I just watched doomsday preppers and had a couple of questions.

one lady was rubbing down eggs, I am assuming from the grocery store since she didn't have any chickens, with a mineral oil? Then she said they would store in cool place, NOT frig, for up to 18 months. Does anyone do this?

Second, the same lady was taking blocks of cheese and dipping them in wax and said they will age but remain basically the same on the shelf. Any one doing this?

I would love to catch the sales on both and love to maintain them way past the dates . If you can let me know your techniques or just tell me where to look here on the web. Thanks!
    "the bad thing about knowing all of this...
    you can't 'unknow' it"

God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you...Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever". (Heb. 13:5,8, NIV)

I'd be interested in seeing her eggs after 18 months if she bought them at the store (where they're washed...and a month old when they hit the shelves).

The bloom left on the egg by the chicken is what protects fresh eggs; they're good out on the counter for a couple weeks without refrigeration.

There are lots of ways people claim they can preserve eggs without refrigeration but I'm suspicious of all of them.

I tried the water glass method but that was before I realized about the bloom...and after 8 months they were nasty.

I recently bought some "Kepeg" which is a tiny jar of greasy stuff that's supposed to preserve them, and keep meaning to give it a try.

As for the cheese, I'm pretty sure it's Summerthyme who has done this with the wax. It's cheese wax, and I believe you have to wipe the cheese down with vinegar before using it. I also think it only works with hard cheeses (not american, etc.).

hth--

Thanks, Karen.. I had a nice long post typed up, tried to find a link for Kepeg and everything froze!! GRRRR!

Yes, the waxing works well. But not if you're going to keep them at "room temp". I've done it keeping hard cheeses (also correct) for up to 3 years in our root cellar.., it stays at cold refrigerator temps for 5 months or so, and between 55-60° for the rest of the year. If you don't at least have a cool basement, I'd be leery of it, to be honest. And yes, I wipe the blocks down with vinegar first, to kill off any mold spores which might be lurking. Regular paraffin wax tends to be brittle and crack, letting air in. I use cheese wax, but beeswax will work- it's just more expensive.

On the eggs, I wouldn't want to be ANYwhere near that house when she goes to break open "18 month old" eggs she stored that way!! OMG!!! She's going to have a biological weapon there!

Purchased eggs are already *at least* a month old when you get them, plus they've been washed, which removes the coating which helps keep them fresh.

Waterglass (Kepeg) DOES apparently work, but I suspect it works better with unwashed eggs.

Fresh laid eggs will actually keep on the counter for a month without major loss of quality. (well, WE can tell, but month old homegrown eggs kept on the counter are about equivalent to storebought, in terms of freshness)

Using cartons or containers which limit airflow helps a lot. Some organic eggs are sold in clear plastic cartons with a second layer that fits over the tops of the eggs, under the regular lid.. I was amazed at how much fresher eggs stayed in them. (some of my kids used to bring them to me). Cardboard cartons are the worst for helping maintain freshness.

What I use now are THESE:
    http://www.locknlockplace.com/index....2-holders.html

I love them- they're sturdy (they'll outlast me), they have a gasket which makes them airtight, and they wash up easily. I see they now have some which hold 18 eggs... I need to get another half dozen, at least.

I put scotch tape on them and date them. I gather eggs twice a day, and immediately sort them... clean ones go into the cartons, and then into the root cellar with the current date on them. "Too dirty to store" without washing are washed and then stored in the kitchen fridge- we use those first. I don't get many like that, but I keep them separate, as washing really does limit their storage life.

If I have reason to store eggs for really LONG term (for example, last summer when my old hens were laying very few eggs and my new pullets had several months to go), I freeze them. I stir the yolk and white together (don't beat air into them, just break the yolk and mix them up with a fork) and I add 1 tsp salt OR sugar to 1 cup of mixed whole eggs (this stablizes them and keeps the yolk from getting sticky). Then I pour them into ice cube trays and freeze. Once solid, I take the cubes (each one is the equivalent of 1 whole egg) out and put them in heavy ziplock bags; date, label and put back in the freezer.

You can separate whites and yolks and freeze separately- only the yolks need the salt or sugar.

LABEL WHICH YOU USED!!! Sugar is what I generally use, as almost any eggs I stored in the freezer are meant for baking. But if you are going to use them for quiches, scrambled eggs, etc... use salt.

I'm really frustrated- Mother Earth News has a GREAT article from when they ran a long term test on all the various methods for "keeping" eggs fresh... but none of the pages will open on the 'net!! It's been too long for me to remember for sure, but I THOUGHT that in the end, Kepeg on unwashed fresh eggs was the winner.. but just about tied with simply storing unwashed fresh eggs in cartons. But do NOT quote me on that!

If I can ever get the article to open, I'll post it here...

Summerthyme

Here's the mother earth news link:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Susta...resh-Eggs.aspx

In case folks have trouble opening the main page, here are links to the subsequent ones individually.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Susta...gs.aspx?page=2

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Susta...gs.aspx?page=3

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Susta...gs.aspx?page=4

It's a great piece.

As for water glass, that's actually sodium silicate that we purchased in a (I think) two-pound bucket at Lehman's. It's used for floor sealing (basements, garages, etc.). Here's a link to it at Lehman's.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Tools_F...icate____10406

Kepeg is a tiny little jar of grease. I don't recall what all is in it, but I think mineral oil is part of it. I was only able to find it here. The jar looks big but don't be surprised. It's really, really small. About the size of an egg, actually lol:

http://www.eggcartons.com/KePeg-Egg-...oductinfo/KEP/

We also got a great deal on egg cartons from these folks; we bought a bunch of misprinted locking plastic cartons from them for, I think, a dime apiece or something like that.

haha Summerthyme, doesn't it feel good to see me reciting things you've taught me? lol

Good to know all your keystrokes aren't in vain :)

LOL! Glad it's helped you... I thought I recognized some of those ideas and sentences!

Can you get any of those Mother Earth pages to actually OPEN? They just hang up for me... forever!

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
    I'd be interested in seeing her eggs after 18 months if she bought them at the store (where they're washed...and a month old when they hit the shelves).

The bloom left on the egg by the chicken is what protects fresh eggs; they're good out on the counter for a couple weeks without refrigeration.

There are lots of ways people claim they can preserve eggs without refrigeration but I'm suspicious of all of them.

I tried the water glass method but that was before I realized about the bloom...and after 8 months they were nasty.

I recently bought some "Kepeg" which is a tiny jar of greasy stuff that's supposed to preserve them, and keep meaning to give it a try.

As for the cheese, I'm pretty sure it's Summerthyme who has done this with the wax. It's cheese wax, and I believe you have to wipe the cheese down with vinegar before using it. I also think it only works with hard cheeses (not american, etc.).

hth--
    I haven't tried it yet, but lard on uncleaned eggs, buffed out, supposedly prevents air from getting inside and helps keep eggs a long time. I've cheese waxed, too and it is supposed to keep cheese good for quite a while. It ages, so I buy cheap mild cheddar and let it age. Same for all harder cheeses.

Here are the conclusions from the Mother Earth News article:

CONCLUSIONS

At the end of seven months (all of our experiment that was finished and processed at the time this issue went to press), then, we had drawn these conclusions about our egg preservation experiment:

[1] Unwashed, fertile homestead eggs seem to store much better than washed, unfertile agribiz eggs. Why? Probably for the simple reason that they're unwashed ... and not because they're fertile. Hen fruit, as it comes from the chicken, is coated with a light layer of a natural sealing agent called "bloom". And, while a good wash may make a batch of eggs look more attractive, it also removes this natural protective coating ... leaving the eggs more subject to aging and attack by the air and bacteria in the air.

[2] The very best way we've found to stash eggs away for long-term storage is in a sealed container at a temperature of 35° to 40°F. Their whites may become somewhat runny looking over a period of time, buteven after seven months—the cackleberries stored in this manner smell good, taste good, have a good texture, and—in short—seem "almost fresh".

[3] The widely touted idea of covering eggs with a solution of one part waterglass (sodium silicate) mixed with nine parts of boiled and cooled water does indeed seem to work better than any other "room temperature" preservation method we tried. If our experiences are any indication, though, it's really good for only about five months and is a distant second to controlled refrigeration.

Another point: As good as some eggs kept in waterglass were, almost every batch we opened seemed to contain one real stinker. Which makes it a superior idea to open any waterglassed egg (or any egg, for that matter) separately into a cup ... where it may be inspected before pouring it into a skillet, pan, or dish with other food.

[4] Unwashed, fertile eggs submerged in a solution of 16 parts water/2 parts lime/1 part salt, packed in lard, and coated with lard seem to keep at room temperature almost as well as unwashed fertile eggs that have been given the waterglass treatment. Washed, unfertile eggs do not.

[5] Unwashed, fertile eggs packed in dry sand or coated with vaseline and stored at room temperature keep a little longer-but not much-than unwashed fertile eggs that are just left lying out at room temperature. Washed, unfertile eggs exhibit the same characteristics ... with all storage times running a few days less across the board.

[6] Forget packing any kind of eggs in wet sand or sawdust! Our tests show that such methods of "preservation" can turn eggs rotten within a month and are worse than doing nothing at all to the hen fruit.

AW, heck...

I'm going to post the whole article, under Fair Use... It's been around since 1977...

How To Store Fresh Eggs

November/December 1977

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Susta...resh-Eggs.aspx
    By the Mother Earth News editors

We divided our fresh eggs into two groups: fertile and unfertile
    TRAVIS BROCK
    If you've ever kept a flock of chickens, you're probably aware of a basic perversity of homestead life: While your family's consumption of eggs tends to remain fairly constant year round ... your hens' production of the delicious edibles doesn't.

Is there a way to level out this feast-or-famine scheme of things ... is there a way for you to stash away one month's surplus cackleberries and then eat 'em, say, six or eight months later?

Yep. Several forms of egg storage are supposed to make it possible for you to do just that. As MOTHER's continuing tests have already proven, however, some of those "guaranteed" methods of storage work a whole lot better than others!

According to an old joke, "The best way to keep an egg fresh is to keep it in the chicken." A heck of a bunch of MOTHER readers, though, must find that a little hard to do. Because if we've been asked once since founding this magazine, we've been asked a thousand times, "is there any way I can save one month's surplus eggs ... and then use them six or eight months later?"

Well, for several years, we answered that question by recommending one or another (or several) of the "guaranteed, gen-u-wine egg preservation" methods that we'd run across in old farm magazines, ancient Department of Agriculture pamphlets, and other sources. And, although we usually asked the folks we'd advised to let us know how the ideas worked, we never seemed to hear from them again ...

And that left us with, at best, an uneasy feeling. "What happened, anyway?" we asked each other. "Did the idea (or ideas) work? Were the eggs good? After how long? Were they bad? When did they go bad? And how bad did they get? Could they still have been eaten in a pinch? Maybe they were still good, but they just changed color ... or texture .... or something. WHAT HAPPENED, ANYWAY?"

So we mulled that over for a while and finally, about seven months ago, we figured that enough was enough. "By grannies," we told each other, "we'll just set up a test that'll — once and for all — answer all the questions we have about storing fresh eggs."

And that's exactly what we did. We went out and bought ourselves 30 dozen guaranteed fresh, washed, uniform-sized, agribiz-type, unfertile, supermarket eggs from a wholesaler ... and we also rounded up another 30 dozen fresh, unwashed, nonuniform, homestead-type, fertile, non-supermarket eggs.

20 CONTROLLED BATCHES OF 36 EGGS EACH

We suspected from the beginning that there might be a difference in the keeping qualities of fertile versus unfertile eggs. (Our tests have since shown that there is ... and that difference is weighed heavily in favor of the fertile eggs, but perhaps not for the reasons you might have thought.) So we started right off by dividing our 60 dozen hen fruit right down the middle, with 30 dozen fertile eggs on one side and 30 dozen unfertile eggs on the other.

Each set of 360 eggs was then further divided into 10 separate batches of three dozen each: [1] a control group that was left sitting out at room temperature,

[2] a batch that was kept under "controlled refrigeration" . . . that is, 36 eggs which were put into an airtight container and stored at a constant 35° to 40°F,

[3] a group that was completely covered by a solution of 9 parts water and 1 part sodium silicate, also known as "waterglass",

[4] a group that was submerged in a 16 parts water/2 parts lime/1 part salt solution,

[5] a batch that was packed in lard,

[6] a group that was merely coated with lard,

[7] three dozen that were coated with vaseline,

[8] 36 eggs that were packed in dry sand,

[9] three dozen that were packed in wet sand, and

[10] 36 eggs that were packed in dry sawdust.

Except for the refrigerated batch, all the groups of eggs were stored at a room temperature which varied from 65° to 70° F.

AND ONCE A MONTH ...

Our experiment was set up on February 4, 1977 and was designed to run for a full year of regular monthly "look, sniff, taste, and texture" tests. It very quickly became apparent, however, that some of the "preservation" methods we were trying were worse than no attempts at preservation at all. The eggs (both fertile and unfertile) buried in both the wet sand and sawdust looked bad, smelled bad, had lost their taste, and had runny textures just one month after being "preserved". Even the control groups-eggs which were just allowed to lay out at room temperature with nothing done to them—were better than that. Conclusion after only four weeks: Trying to store eggs in either wet sand or dry sawdust is counterproductive. Forget it. Anything else—even nothing at all works better.

Surprisingly enough, the control eggs—although slightly mushy and musty—were still edible a full eight weeks after our tests began. Except for one El Stinko waterglassed egg (which must have had an unnoticed crack in its shell at the beginning of the experiment), however, the other seven batches still in the running were all much better. Which meant that the "preservation" methods they represented really were preserving the hen fruit to one extent or another.

Believe it or not, our controls (both fertile and unfertile) were hanging in there yet after another full four weeks had passed. If we'd had our druthers, understand, we'd have eaten something else ... but, under survival conditions, we could have lived on the completely unprotected 90-day-old eggs if we'd have had to. Some of the other groups, on the other hand, were becoming a little disappointing. Most of them (even the refrigerated ones) had more or less runny whites, one of the refrigerated store-boughts smelled bad, all the vaseline-coated eggs were marginal, one of the fertilized eggs packed in dry sand had a bad sulphur taste, and a store-bought kept in waterglass was very definitely bad.

By June (120 days after the experiment was begun) all the supermarket and all the homestead control eggs had gone completely rotten. The dry sand groups (both fertile and unfertile) were also terminated at that time ... as were the store-boughts that had been coated with vaseline (the vaseline-coated homestead eggs were only marginally better). The fertile and unfertile eggs packed in lard were getting pretty "iffy", the ones coated with lard were doing a lot better, the lime water groups were still edible (although, in the case of the supermarket eggs, barely edible), the refrigerated eggs seemed to have firmed up and were nearly as good as fresh, and-while the waterglassed groups were, in general, doing far better than average-one of the fertile eggs covered with waterglass was very definitely bad.

The ranks of the still-good eggs began to thin considerably 150 days into our test. By July, the supermarket eggs packed in lard weren't making it anymore (while the fertile eggs packed in lard were runny but edible). Likewise the waterglassed eggs. The lime water store-boughts, on the other hand, were still "good" (except for the one we didn't even open, since it floated), while the lime water homestead hen fruit was only "edible". Both the agribiz and the down-home eggs coated with lard were "good enough to eat for breakfast". While-maybe just by contrast-the store-bought refrigerated cackleberries were "good, like fresh" and the homestead refrigerated hen fruit was "excellent".

August, of course, was more of the same. The lard-packed fertile eggs were still "OK", the waterglassed fertiles were still "OK", the lime water homestead eggs were barely edible and the lime water store-boughts were rotten. The lard-coated hen fruit (both fertile and unfertile) all looked weird ... but could be eaten. Which really only left the refrigerated supermarket and refrigerated homestead eggs as "good" and "looks almost fresh".

The fertile eggs packed in lard, coated with lard, preserved in waterglass, and covered by lime water were still all "OK" in September. The store-boughts coated with lard were not. Leaving, again, as the Big Winners the refrigerated fertile eggs ("good") and the refrigerated unfertile eggs ("good, almost fresh").

CONCLUSIONS

At the end of seven months (all of our experiment that was finished and processed at the time this issue went to press), then, we had drawn these conclusions about our egg preservation experiment:

[1] Unwashed, fertile homestead eggs seem to store much better than washed, unfertile agribiz eggs. Why? Probably for the simple reason that they're unwashed ... and not because they're fertile. Hen fruit, as it comes from the chicken, is coated with a light layer of a natural sealing agent called "bloom". And, while a good wash may make a batch of eggs look more attractive, it also removes this natural protective coating ... leaving the eggs more subject to aging and attack by the air and bacteria in the air.

[2] The very best way we've found to stash eggs away for long-term storage is in a sealed container at a temperature of 35° to 40°F. Their whites may become somewhat runny looking over a period of time, but even after seven months—the cackleberries stored in this manner smell good, taste good, have a good texture, and—in short—seem "almost fresh".

[3] The widely touted idea of covering eggs with a solution of one part waterglass (sodium silicate) mixed with nine parts of boiled and cooled water does indeed seem to work better than any other "room temperature" preservation method we tried. If our experiences are any indication, though, it's really good for only about five months and is a distant second to controlled refrigeration.

Another point: As good as some eggs kept in waterglass were, almost every batch we opened seemed to contain one real stinker. Which makes it a superior idea to open any waterglassed egg (or any egg, for that matter) separately into a cup ... where it may be inspected before pouring it into a skillet, pan, or dish with other food.

[4] Unwashed, fertile eggs submerged in a solution of 16 parts water/2 parts lime/1 part salt, packed in lard, and coated with lard seem to keep at room temperature almost as well as unwashed fertile eggs that have been given the waterglass treatment. Washed, unfertile eggs do not.

[5] Unwashed, fertile eggs packed in dry sand or coated with vaseline and stored at room temperature keep a little longer-but not much-than unwashed fertile eggs that are just left lying out at room temperature. Washed, unfertile eggs exhibit the same characteristics ... with all storage times running a few days less across the board.

[6] Forget packing any kind of eggs in wet sand or sawdust! Our tests show that such methods of "preservation" can turn eggs rotten within a month and are worse than doing nothing at all to the hen fruit.

We'll give you a further report on MOTHER's Great Egg Preservation Experiment sometime next spring ... after the completion of the test's full one-year cycle.
    So... the "vaseline coated" store bought eggs were BAD by 4 months. The lady in the video is going to be in for a very nasty surprise if she tries to keep hers for 18 months!! Whooeee... someone's gonna need a gas mask in that house!

And... I strongly second the recommendation to break ANY egg into a separate cup, especially if you are trying to keep them longer than "normal", or if your hens free range, or just if you're not absolutely certain the eggs you're using are both fresh, and weren't hoarded by a broody hen for a few days! I don't candle our eggs, so occasionally get a blood spot or meat spot in them. Neither of those hurt the edibility of the egg, but our modern sensibilities aren't impressed by them! And a meat spot in a nice meringue frosting is just nasty!

It only takes an extra second to crack each egg into a cup, look at it and then dump it into your mixing bowl or frying pan. And for that matter, if you lose a bit of egg shell in the egg, it may actually SAVE you some time... it's easier to fish that bit of shell out of a cup with a single egg in it, than a mixing bowl with a bunch of ingredients...

Oh, and while they didn't say it, inspect any eggs you're planning on storing carefully for any defects! Even a small hairline crack will VERY quickly age that particular egg. And believe me, if you've never had the experience of opening a really BAD egg... you don't want to!

Summerthyme

Summerthyme

Haha so... conclusion is, keep 'em in the fridge.