Thread: Homemade soups?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I love homemade soup. (hubby not so much unless he is starving). Does anyone have an old fashion recipe for pork soup (using the roast bones leftover? My grandmother made the best in the world. It had a tomato base but not a strong tomato flavor. She was a magnificent person and fed all 13 of us and her mother & mIL through the war. I by the grace of GOD was raised the first 6 years by her and grandpa. The salt of the earth. I have tried and tried and I cannot duplicate it. I make a really wonderful variety of soups but not that one. PLEASE if you know, I would appreciate it.

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Animal Lover View Post
    I love homemade soup. (hubby not so much unless he is starving). Does anyone have an old fashion recipe for pork soup (using the roast bones leftover? My grandmother made the best in the world. It had a tomato base but not a strong tomato flavor. She was a magnificent person and fed all 13 of us and her mother & mIL through the war. I by the grace of GOD was raised the first 6 years by her and grandpa. The salt of the earth. I have tried and tried and I cannot duplicate it. I make a really wonderful variety of soups but not that one. PLEASE if you know, I would appreciate it.
    Don't know how your grandmother made her soup, but a tomato base I use for many of my soups is this:

Put a tablespoon of olive oil in a cast-iron pan. Dice up a small onion and cook it in the oil until it becomes transparent. Dice up a couple cloves of fresh garlic and cook it with the onion for a minute or two until it becomes fragrant. Open a can or two of whole tomatoes and pour in the pan. Mash up the tomatoes as they cook. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

At this point, you add this tomato sauce into the pot of whatever else you're cooking, along with about 1/3 stick of butter. Season to taste and simmer the whole mess for about an hour.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Beef Barley and Mushroom soup is one of our favorites. I like this one.

Mushroom Barley Soup with Flanken

"I shall not be a victim. I shall not be a perpetrator. Above all, I shall not be a bystander."

I have two packets of beef soup bones with a dallop of vinegar in them (to help release the bone minerals into the broth) sitting on our wood stove as I type....... ;o)

Hallelujah!
    Jesus, you have overcome the World!

Every high place must come down,
    Every stronghold shall be broken,
    You wear the Victor's Crown!
    You've overcome!
    You've overcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKmLKSQCydA

OK, this is the second time that I tried this and it works well! As you get your pot of soup going, throw a jar of salsa into the pot with the meat, veggies and broth. Gives the soup a subtle Mexican flavor and goes nicely with corn chips. :o))))

Hallelujah!
    Jesus, you have overcome the World!

Every high place must come down,
    Every stronghold shall be broken,
    You wear the Victor's Crown!
    You've overcome!
    You've overcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKmLKSQCydA