Thread: ? about milling corn

Default ? about milling corn

I'm working on my preps, have a new grain mill and was wondering if anyone has any experience/advice on what kind of corn to get for milling. Would popcorn work? It's pretty cheap at Sam's in 50 pound bags. If that doesn't work, what are some sources (local would be nice to avoid shipping) for the right kind of corn?

Thank you!
    Andy

Popcorn will work, but it makes a pretty "gritty" cornmeal. Not sure what to tell you as far as varieties which would be available locally. Dried sweet corn (sweet corn which has gone far past the fresh eating stage and was allowed to dry on the cob) actually makes wonderful cornmeal. Otherwise, there are dent corns, flint corns, and flour corns. Each has different characteristics when ground. Almost any commercially available "field corn" (grain corn) is going to be GM varieties, unless someone has planted some heirloom types.

Summerthyme

I'm glad you brought this up! Been wondering myself-planted an heirloom corn (bantam) this year-if I want to dry it on the cob, do I leave the cob on the plant to dry? Or do I pick it and let it dry on the cob on the deck?

Wink thats what we do,

dry some sweet corn, for corn bread, tastes great, ,

May I suggest buying some Indian corn now, sold as a Fall decoration, and saving the seeds to plant later. I've used and saved the same indian corn seed for years, each year saving the most beautiful ears. Plus, it grows better than many other types of corn and can be eaten early on, before it becomes tough, as a sweet corn. (Just not as sweet as the modern day varities.)

It makes the best cornmeal when ground up as well as a good animal feed. (The corn and the stalk.)

I really doubt that Monsanto has bothered to GMO up the ornamental indian corn varities that are sold.

Quote Originally Posted by CapeCMom View Post
    I'm glad you brought this up! Been wondering myself-planted an heirloom corn (bantam) this year-if I want to dry it on the cob, do I leave the cob on the plant to dry? Or do I pick it and let it dry on the cob on the deck?
    Depends on what type of critters hang around your house...coons will steal you blind if the corn is left on either the stalk or the deck. Deer may also be a problem...not as much as coons but freeloaders no less. I pick mine (Hopi blue this year) once the ears fall over with the tips pointing to the ground. They'll still need to dry some after this so they get opened, then hung by the shucks until the kernals start to indent. The kernals come right off the cob once they've dried this much. I take the best kernals for seed, the rest hit the grinder (with the steel burrs) for cornmeal. Hope that helps.

I recently saw this site. They have popcorn and dent corn. They claim to have only non-GMO, much of their stuff is already packed in buckets for long term storage, and shipping is included in the price.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/buy...ead_flour.aspx

I bought 50# bags of "organically grown" corn from a local retailer. To mill corn in my mill, I have to change the auger, so I've never tried it... milling corn, that is.

I'd be careful where you buy corn for milling. Aside from the GMO factor, it might also contain pesticide residue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Joe View Post
    Depends on what type of critters hang around your house...coons will steal you blind if the corn is left on either the stalk or the deck. Deer may also be a problem...not as much as coons but freeloaders no less. I pick mine (Hopi blue this year) once the ears fall over with the tips pointing to the ground. They'll still need to dry some after this so they get opened, then hung by the shucks until the kernals start to indent. The kernals come right off the cob once they've dried this much. I take the best kernals for seed, the rest hit the grinder (with the steel burrs) for cornmeal. Hope that helps.
    Your post has answered several questions in my mind about corn. One question I have now is where are you hanging your corn? Does it drip at all as it dries? What if you have coon problems like we do? Can you pick when ripe and hang to dry completely? If so would that be messy? Only ask because I might have to do this in the garage.

Thanks in Advance!
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, Aug. 19, 1785