Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honor student placed in jail for tardiness and truancy at school

Angry Honor student placed in jail for tardiness and truancy at school

this story ANGERS me.. it is heartbreaking.. the judge is a callous bastard..

all i am really finding on this is videos, but a synopsis is,
    An honor student in Texas was thrown in jail after she missed too many classes at her high school.
    A judge issued Diane Tran, 17, a summons Wednesday for her excessive truancy after she missed class. She was arrested in open court.
    Last month, Tran was issued a warning by the judge for missing school.
    Tran said she works both full-time and part-time jobs, in addition to taking advanced and college level courses.
    But the judge said Tran's case was bigger than the individual situation of one student.
    "If you let one run loose, what are you gonna' do with the rest of 'em?," said Judge Lanny Moriarty. "Let them go too? A little stay in the jail for one night is not a death sentence."
    But Tran's classmates said she had a lot more to juggle than the average teen.
    "She goes from job to job from school. She stays up until 7 a.m. in the morning doing her homework," said Devin Hill, a classmate and co-worker.
    On top of that, Tran said her parents spilt up and moved away, leaving her to support her younger sister.
    The judge admitted that he wanted to make an example of the teen.
    Tran had to spend 24 hours in jail and had to pay a $100 fine.
    this poor child is supporting herself and siblings,working full time,AND a part time job while passing AP courses with honors and the judge "wants to make a example out of her"??

i would say she is a GREAT example to other kids..

a couple stories/videos on this..
    http://news.yahoo.com/video/houston1...-29458964.html

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/1862...essive-truancy

breezy is offline Tree of Liberty Benefactor

I guess if she was an entitlement receipient(sp?) , the judge would have let her go.

Quote Originally Posted by breezy View Post
    I guess if she was an entitlement receipient(sp?) , the judge would have let her go.
    no, this judge strikes me as a hanging judge.. i think they would get the same or worse HAD they came before this judge..

besides,in your scenario,the student would never had been put in front of the judge.. they get a free pass from the get go.

in one of the videos when asked if something could be done to change the ruling he said, paraphrasing: "i dont know,i have not thought about it,it would make me soft"..

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Won't be long before judges such as this start meeting their Maker a lot sooner than later. Mark my words.

Seems like some responsible adult, one of her teachers maybe, should have stood and helped this girl.

Maybe she should have been tased...3 times. Yeah that would have taught her a good 'ole lesson!

Bastard!

I believe that she should consider quitting high school and just take classes at the community college that should remove the truancy issue that the judge seems hung up on. I would also make it a point with the local news media and anywhere else that I could that the reason I quit high school was because a judge and school with no common sense drove me out.

Default Texas honor student jailed for missing too much school

Texas honor student jailed for missing too much school

An honor student in Texas was thrown in jail after she missed too many classes at her high school.

A judge issued Diane Tran, 17, a summons Wednesday for her excessive truancy after she missed class. She was arrested in open court.

Last month, Tran was issued a warning by the judge for missing school.

Tran said she works both full-time and part-time jobs, in addition to taking advanced and college level courses.

But the judge said Tran's case was bigger than the individual situation of one student.

"If you let one run loose, what are you gonna' do with the rest of 'em?," said Judge Lanny Moriarty. "Let them go too? A little stay in the jail for one night is not a death sentence."

But Tran's classmates said she had a lot more to juggle than the average teen.

"She goes from job to job from school. She stays up until 7 a.m. in the morning doing her homework," said Devin Hill, a classmate and co-worker.

On top of that, Tran said her parents spilt up and moved away, leaving her to support her younger sister.

The judge admitted that he wanted to make an example of the teen.

Tran had to spend 24 hours in jail and had to pay a $100 fine.

http://refreshingnews99.blogspot.in/...r-missing.html
    "But none of the wicked shall understand [that the End of the Age is upon them]."
    [Daniel 12:10b]

breezy is offline Tree of Liberty Benefactor

Last edited by cyberiot; 05-27-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Default ....

Truancy laws are disgusting. Forced indoctrination for the masses. Some things that go on in our "free world" boggle my mind. This ranks among the highest..

These days a High School diploma isn't worth squat. I actually believed my teachers horror stories that if I dropped out and got my GED I wouldn't have the opportunities someone with a highschool diploma would have. It flat out wasn't true.

Today I have a middle class life and am (finally) working my way through college. No one ever blinked an eye at the GED.

MY advice to this girl would simple sign out of school, get your GED and continue with your college classes.