Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there an Armory near you

Well one reason could be to guard D.C. when stuff happens, would be interesting to see if in a two hundred mile radius or so or less around D.C. if other armorys are doing the same on stocking up stuff.

Could be one reason me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmanan View Post
    Wow looks like they are stocking up and getting ready for something.

Wonder that something would be?

Will have to check the ones in my area out,I live in Mi. and we have lots spread across the state.
    I too live in MI, which is why i wondered how to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
    possibly has to do with the draw down of troops in afghanistan.. all that equipment has to be stored somewhere,,they cant leave it all behind..
    Could be. But with Camp Lejune, Gieger, Johnson, MCAS New River, MCAS Cherry Point, Fort Bragg, and Pope AFB, all being within an hour from us I would think it would be stored at one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmanan View Post
    Well one reason could be to guard D.C. when stuff happens, would be interesting to see if in a two hundred mile radius or so or less around D.C. if other armorys are doing the same on stocking up stuff.

Could be one reason me thinks.
    Could be. It is being stocked for a reason. I go by it at least once on the weekend, and twice during the week. This stuff does not go out, it is just there. Normal units would at least take it out into the field at some point. No spot has been emptying out just fuller.

Now I would add this. Some of this stuff is painted like it came out of one of the sand boxes, most of it is painted the greenland camouflage pattern.

Now this buildup looks like it began after June 2011. In August 2011 our Governor signed into law our new State Militia law so they may have a link with each other. Just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf View Post
    possibly has to do with the draw down of troops in afghanistan.. all that equipment has to be stored somewhere,,they cant leave it all behind..
    Beat me to it. My thoughts too. Emptied Iraq out, Afghan coming down, new equipment from experiences in both theaters coming online, etc.

Could be something or not.

Default not to worry too much

the NC Army National Guard has been very active in the past and current operations in the sandbox. the various smaller parts of units occupy various armory's all over the area. One that comes immediately to mind is Morehead City with it's armory. other units in Clinton and aviation units like the one in Morrisville have contributed to the army's efforts all during both Iraq conflicts and the Afghanistan conflict.

Mix in the reserve units and you might find that there are a lot more small units around your area. If the unit is being brought back from AFQ or part of a realignment of ANG or reserve forces you might see a lot of activity in the armory area.... if they are deployed you would see very little. sounds like they may be returning which would entail a lot of short term activity.

These units also support relief and rescue efforts such as the super storm Sandy relief efforts which may be part of what you've been seeing. Units from NC have helped out in the Katrina relief as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 2zipper2 View Post
    the NC Army National Guard has been very active in the past and current operations in the sandbox. the various smaller parts of units occupy various armory's all over the area. One that comes immediately to mind is Morehead City with it's armory. other units in Clinton and aviation units like the one in Morrisville have contributed to the army's efforts all during both Iraq conflicts and the Afghanistan conflict.

Mix in the reserve units and you might find that there are a lot more small units around your area. If the unit is being brought back from AFQ or part of a realignment of ANG or reserve forces you might see a lot of activity in the armory area.... if they are deployed you would see very little. sounds like they may be returning which would entail a lot of short term activity.

These units also support relief and rescue efforts such as the super storm Sandy relief efforts which may be part of what you've been seeing. Units from NC have helped out in the Katrina relief as well.
    In the last ariel that I can pull up of our small airport there appears to be 1 deuce and a half, 10 hum-vees, and 8 pull behind trailers stored there. This is a little odd to me as well.

So far as the Armory this stuff came in and has not gone back out.

All normal here.

Try Wikipedia. I just posted MI national armory and it listed at least 30 of them.
    I believe I read at another site that MI has 60 armories.