Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: August 11-13: The Weekend Thread -- Barbecue and Chili Cook-off Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    Yeah, but you need the meat to make it chili.
    Say no more!

Today's chili du jour...

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths. -- Proverbs 3:5-6

If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor. -- John 12:26

Don't worry I am making some more

Quote Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
    Say no more!

Today's chili du jour...
    You're making French chili? What's it do, surrender when you try to eat it?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    And, it's gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    You're making French chili? What's it do, surrender when you try to eat it?
    no, you surrender after you eat it...
    "The key to life is how well you deal with plan B "... Stephen Dias

Quote Originally Posted by The Hammer View Post
    in the real world, I was on Day 2 of a new job at a new firm (left my old one),
    Congrats! Without getting too specific, will this job give you more of the type of accounting that you like to do? Hopefully, you're getting higher on the feeding chain and can work 40 hours instead of 80 hours during the peak of tax season!

Quiet Sunday for me in the real world.

I did three loads of laundry (weekly, plus two loads of washable wool blankets, now hanging outside to dry) and sprayed Scotch-Guard on my "water resistant" rain coats, boots, small tent, and several caps. Those are also hanging outside on the clothes lines. I needed a low humidity day for drying stuff and finally got two in a row . . .

I'm heading out in a few minutes to get some fresh corn and other produce for the week. I didn't make it to the farmer's market yesterday, but I know where there's a farm stand that opens at 1:00.

Have an excellent Sunday, all!

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    Congrats! Without getting too specific, will this job give you more of the type of accounting that you like to do? Hopefully, you're getting higher on the feeding chain and can work 40 hours instead of 80 hours during the peak of tax season!
    Honestly, it's the same kind of tax work overall, which I've always liked. I end up doing a little bit of everything, without getting too involved in the tax work for huge corporations. I like the smaller clients and individuals.

I'd been slowly moving up the chain, and at the new place I'm at the same level I was at before. I expect there to be long hours still, but haven't gotten a feel for how intense it might be. Hopefully manageable.

The thing that really got me to move was the atmosphere at my old firm. The politics, personalities, and the fact that the office had been struggling with losing business all made it feel very tense and toxic. I had to get out. And the fact that a TON of people have moved from my old firm to my new one and have only said good things about the move gave me confidence that this was a good direction to go in.

A couple days in, so not much to go on, but I can already feel the difference!
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths. -- Proverbs 3:5-6

If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor. -- John 12:26

Quote Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
    no, you surrender after you eat it...
    Especially with my new secret spicy ingredient...

For the past 5 months I've been repairing a barn for a friend, that's what I'm doing today, tomorrow and at least the rest of this month. These jobs take forever when you work alone
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."