Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Blood of Pope John Paul II to go on display at Vatican

I agreed with you until I read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Theresej View Post

The scriptures were never meant to stand by themselves.
    This is blasphemy. The Lord says that He will preserve His Word forever. In fact, in John, Christ is described as The Word.

Psalm 12:6-7

6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
    7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    "Cats are so vile the Bible does not so much as mention them."

--Natty Threads

"I have come to the conclusion that people are strange."

--Firedance

Quote Originally Posted by Theresej View Post
    It's not the passover seder. :)
    Actually, the eating of the unleavened bread is known as the Passover--it was practiced in the Torah long before the Catholic church existed.

As for hearing the Holy Spirit infallibly--the Holy Spirit IS infallible; you're either hearing Him, or you aren't. The Bible says that the Holy Spirit will teach us once we become a child of God.

1 Corinthians 2:12-16

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
    13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
    14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
    15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
    16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
    "Cats are so vile the Bible does not so much as mention them."

--Natty Threads

"I have come to the conclusion that people are strange."

--Firedance

To all members of this board, I have a confession to make.

While I am ashamed to admit it, I did have some fun banging heads wrestling and contending for the truth, I did it for the thrill of the hunt and have unwittingly operated outside of Love. All Nicolaitanes, please accept my apologies, you are allowed to make up your minds on how you want to walk and because God has given you free will, I'm going to stop and desist in my unlovely attacks.

In fact, something is up in the air and it isn't good, I'm going to spend time in my prayer closet and get in the cleft of the Rock. Jesus is my hiding place and I would highly recommend for all to do the same.

The Lord has made me to realize that death is fixing to come in a large way here in the United States. It's time to seek the Lord and stay in Him. If death comes for me, I will be found in Jesus and I hope to see you all in Jesus.

It's now time to fast, pray unceasingly and seek the Lord...

Love ya and run to the Lord now!

The glorious church is about to make it's appearance, alot sooner than I thought, too! The things contained in the book of Acts are going to become commonplace among the prayed up believers walking in the Spirit and Love. Holy Ghost air travel ala' Philip, Jesus healing people through the believer's shadows and the like...

It's time to get ready, in the midst of all of this death and judgment on the land, the church will begin to shine with the reflected glory that will be coming from the believers who are steadfastly gazing upon the Son.

The "greater works than these shall they do" days are almost on us, start spending time in the Lord now!

See ya and I love all of you, my brethren...
    Pride Always Has A Better Idea.

And it's not your job to mold me to your likeness!

Mat 22:37-40 (msg) Jesus said, "'Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.'

This is the most important, the first on any list.

But there is a second to set alongside it: 'Love others as well as you love yourself.'

These two commands are pegs; everything in God's Law and the Prophets hangs from them."

Quote Originally Posted by Daytonabill0001 View Post

While I am ashamed to admit it, I did have some fun banging heads wrestling and contending for the truth, I did it for the thrill of the hunt and have unwittingly operated outside of Love. All Nicolaitanes, please accept my apologies, you are allowed to make up your minds on how you want to walk and because God has given you free will, I'm going to stop and desist in my unlovely attacks.

In fact, something is up in the air and it isn't good, I'm going to spend time in my prayer closet and get in the cleft of the Rock. Jesus is my hiding place and I would highly recommend for all to do the same.

The Lord has made me to realize that death is fixing to come in a large way here in the United States. It's time to seek the Lord and stay in Him. If death comes for me, I will be found in Jesus and I hope to see you all in Jesus.

It's now time to fast, pray unceasingly and seek the Lord...

Love ya and run to the Lord now!

The glorious church is about to make it's appearance, alot sooner than I thought, too! The things contained in the book of Acts are going to become commonplace among the prayed up believers walking in the Spirit and Love. Holy Ghost air travel ala' Philip, Jesus healing people through the believer's shadows and the like...

It's time to get ready, in the midst of all of this death and judgment on the land, the church will begin to shine with the reflected glory that will be coming from the believers who are steadfastly gazing upon the Son.

The "greater works than these shall they do" days are almost on us, start spending time in the Lord now!

See ya and I love all of you, my brethren...

blessings on you, bill.......
    For in much wisdom is much grief; and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow..............Ecclesiastes 1:18

LORD please forgive us our unkind, unloving ways.........ALL OF US..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LraOiHUltak

Quote Originally Posted by Melodious Musician View Post
    I agreed with you until I read this.

This is blasphemy. The Lord says that He will preserve His Word forever. In fact, in John, Christ is described as The Word.

Psalm 12:6-7

6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
    7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    Thank you again for sharing your opinon.

It is puzzling though. How does saying the scriptures were never meant to stand alone in any way say that God's word will not be preserved forever?

Last time I checked "alone" does NOT equal "forever"

So I see no logical justification for the claim of blasphemy above.

Additionally, the passage from Psalms is not saying what you are using it to say
    Psalms
    Chapter 12
    1 1 For the leader; "upon the eighth." A psalm of David. 2 Help, LORD, for no one loyal remains; the faithful have vanished from the human race 3 Those who tell lies to one another speak with deceiving lips and a double heart. 4 May the LORD cut off all deceiving lips, and every boastful tongue, 5 Those who say, "By our tongues we prevail; when our lips speak, who can lord it over us?" 6 "Because they rob the weak, and the needy groan, I will now arise," says the LORD; "I will grant safety to whoever longs for it." 7 The promises of the LORD are sure, silver refined in a crucible, silver purified seven times. 8 LORD, protect us always; preserve us from this generation. 9 On every side the wicked strut; the shameless are extolled by all.
    Barnes' Notes on the Bible
    "Thou shalt keep them That is, the persons referred to in Psalm 12:5 - the poor and the needy who were suffering from the wrongs inflicted on them. The idea is, that God would guard and defend them. They were safe in his hands. Compare Psalm 37:3-7.

Clarke's Commentary on the Bible
    Thou shalt keep them - thou shalt preserve them - Instead of the pronoun them in these clauses, several MSS., with the Septuagint, the Vulgate, and the Arabic, have us. The sense is equally good in both readings. God did bring forth the Israelites from Babylon, according to his word; he separated them from that generation. and reinstated them in their own land, according to his word; and most certainly he has preserved them from generation to generation to the present day, in a most remarkable manner.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
    Thou shall keep them, O Lord,.... Not the words before mentioned, as Aben Ezra explains it, for the affix is masculine and not feminine; not but God has wonderfully kept and preserved the sacred writings; and he keeps every word of promise which he has made; and the doctrines of the Gospel will always continue from one generation to another; but the sense is, that God will keep the poor and needy, and such as he sets in safety, as Kimchi rightly observes: they are not their own keepers, but God is the keeper of them; he keeps them by his power, and in his Son, in whose hands they are, and who is able to keep them from falling; they are kept by him from a total and final falling away; from the dominion and damning power of sin, and from being devoured by Satan, and from the evil of the world: and this the psalmist had good reason to believe, because of the love of God to them, his covenant with them, and the promises of safety and salvation he has made unto them;

thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever; or "thou shalt preserve him" (p); that is, everyone of the poor and needy, from the wicked generation of men in which they live, from being corrupted or intimidated by them; and who are described in the beginning of the psalm. Some take these words to be a prayer, "keep thou them, O Lord, and preserve them", &c. (q); and so the following words may be thought to be a reason or argument enforcing the request.

Keil and Delitzsch Biblical Commentary on the Old Testament
    (Heb.: 12:8-9) The supplicatory complaint contained in the first strophe has passed into an ardent wish in the second; and now in the fourth there arises a consolatory hope based upon the divine utterance which was heard in the third strophe. The suffix eem in Psalm 12:8 refers to the miserable and poor; the suffix ennu in Psalm 12:8 (him, not: us, which would be pointed תצרנוּ, and more especially since it is not preceded by תשׁמרנוּ) refers back to the man who yearns for deliverance mentioned in the divine utterance, Psalm 12:6.
    Now ss God's word only written? Of course not.

In the passage from Gosple of John you quoted, he calls Jesus "THE WORD" - LOGOS.
    In g1722 ἐν en
    the beginningg746 ἀρχή archē
    was g2258 ἦν ēn
    the Word, g3056 λ όγος logos

Jesus is called the Logos, He is not called the written word.

I gave the definition of Logos before . .
    word"
    G3056
    λόγος

logos

Thayer Definition:
    1) of speech
    1a) a word,uttered by a living voice, embodies a conception or idea
    1b) what someone has said
    1b1) a word
    1b2) the sayings of God
    1b3) decree, mandate or order
    1b4) of the moral precepts given by God
    1b5) Old Testament prophecy given by the prophets
    1b6) what is declared, a thought, declaration, aphorism, a weighty saying, a dictum, a maxim
    1c) discourse
    1c1) the act of speaking, speech
    1c2) the faculty of speech, skill and practice in speaking
    1c3)a kind or style of speaking
    1c4)a continuous speaking discourse - instruction
    1d) doctrine, teaching
    1e) anything reported in speech; a narration, narrative
    1f) matter under discussion, thing spoken of, affair, a matter in dispute, case, suit at law
    1g)the thing spoken of or talked about; event, deed
    2) its use as respect to the MIND alone
    2a) reason, the mental faculty of thinking, meditating, reasoning, calculating
    2b) account, i.e. regard, consideration
    2c) account, i.e. reckoning, score
    2d) account, i.e. answer or explanation in reference to judgment
    2e) relation, i.e. with whom as judge we stand in relation
    2e1) reason would
    2f) reason, cause, ground
    3) In John, denotes the essential Word of God, Jesus Christ, the personal wisdom and power in union with God, his minister in creation and government of the universe, the cause of all the world’s life both physical and ethical, which for the procurement of man’s salvation put on human nature in the person of Jesus the Messiah, the second person in the Godhead, and shone forth conspicuously from His words and deeds.
    Part of Speech: noun masculine
    A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G3004
    Citing in TDNT: 4:69, 505
    It is not the Traditions that are written that are called "Logos" by Paul, but the Traditions that were taught verbally -
    "whether by WORD - LOGOS"
    2Th 2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by g1223 διά dia word, g3056 λόγος logos, or our epistle. g1992 ἐπιστολή epistolē.
    The spoken, verbal teachings - traditions taught via logos - are placed before the written in Paul's command to believers above.
    Last edited by Theresej; 05-02-2011 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daytonabill0001 View Post

Dayton, thank you so much for your apology. Even though I am not a "Nicolaitane" I appreciate it.

God bless you.

Quote Originally Posted by Housekeeper View Post
    Okay, just two points and I'll go back to lurking.

The Catholic church hires gay men to be priests, as they also do straight men, because they assume that they will adhere to the vows that they make and stay celibate. Indeed, if you believe you are gay and are Catholic and believe that homosexual acts are sinful, the only recourse left is to be celibate. So they become priests and try to devote themselves to God. Some fail miserably at it, which leads me to my second point.

Priests do not molest children because they are not allowed to marry. Child predators become priests (and pastors, and teachers, and scout leaders and baby sitters, etc) because it will allow them easy access to victims.

Off my soapbox now. Back to your previous bickering...

(disclaimer...I am not Catholic nor am I gay...I just hate perpetuating misconceptions)
    WOW, sense in the cemetaty! thanks housekeeper
    ~Kate

Mary is the Mother of Jesus and the Mother of all of us even though it was Christ alone who reposed on her knees… If he is ours, we ought to be in his situation; there where he is, we ought also to be and all that he has ought to be ours, and his mother is also our mother. —Martin Luther, Christmas Sermon, 1529.

Quote Originally Posted by Melodious Musician View Post
    Actually, the eating of the unleavened bread is known as the Passover--it was practiced in the Torah long before the Catholic church existed.
    Yes, I am well aware of where it came from. However, the point I was making is our us of it does not make it a seder.

As for hearing the Holy Spirit infallibly--the Holy Spirit IS infallible;
    We absolutely agree on this. :)

you're either hearing Him, or you aren't. The Bible says that the Holy Spirit will teach us once we become a child of God.
    See .. for me this presents a problem logistically. Bear with me for a moment.

The Holy Spirit speaks infallibly. But does He force us to hear infallibly?

1 Corinthians 2:12-16

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
    13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
    14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
    15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
    16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
    I am well familiar with this passage . . . however. . do you contend that believers have the mind of Christ perfectly?

Do you contend believers are infallible in all their understanding of spiritual things?

If they are, then how is it that Paul had to rebuke so many believers who have the mind of Christ for various MISunderstandings of spiritual things?

In the very book you quote from, Paul rebuked them for their errors and for being carnal rather than spiritual:
    1Cr 3:1And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, [even] as unto babes in Christ.

1Cr 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas [there is] among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

1Cr 9:11 If we have sown unto you spiritual things,[is it] a great thingif we shall reapyour carnal things?

Last edited by Theresej; 05-02-2011 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Housekeeper View Post
    Okay, just two points and I'll go back to lurking.

The Catholic church hires gay men to be priests, as they also do straight men, because they assume that they will adhere to the vows that they make and stay celibate. Indeed, if you believe you are gay and are Catholic and believe that homosexual acts are sinful, the only recourse left is to be celibate. So they become priests and try to devote themselves to God. Some fail miserably at it, which leads me to my second point.

Priests do not molest children because they are not allowed to marry. Child predators become priests (and pastors, and teachers, and scout leaders and baby sitters, etc) because it will allow them easy access to victims.

Off my soapbox now. Back to your previous bickering...

(disclaimer...I am not Catholic nor am I gay...I just hate perpetuating misconceptions)
    Thank you for trying to bring some sanity to some of the accusations being thrown out in this thread against the Catholic Church.

Most child molesters are married heterosexual. . so being gay does not make one predisposed to being a child molester, and being celibate does not either.

According to the U.S. Department of Justice, the characteristics and behavioral indicators of a pedophile, also referred to as a serial child sex abuser include the following:

1. Usually an adult male but some women also sexually abuse children
    2. Often a child molestation victim themselves
    3. Seeks out children of the age group they were when victimized
    4. Usually married and hard-working
    5. Employed within a wide range of occupations
    6. Usually well-liked and respected community members
    7. Often well-educated and regular church-goers
    8. Relates better with children than adults
    9. Some prefer boys, some prefer girls
    10. Usually prefers a specific age group of children
    11. Takes and collects photographs of victims while dressed, nude or in sexual poses
    12. Collects child-adult pornography
    13. Seeks to lower inhibitions of potential victims
    14. Regularly attends children’s events in the community
    15. Volunteers in youth organizations
    16. Coaches children’s sports
    17. Chaperones camping or overnight trips
    18. Frequents video arcades, playgrounds or shopping malls
    19. Offers babysitting services
    20. Seeks jobs where children are easily accessible
    21. Befriends parents, especially single mothers, to gain access to children
    22. Participates in internet gaming with children
    23. Joins social networking websites such as MySpace, Facebook, and other social media
    24. Become foster parents
    25. Seeks job opportunities where children are easily-accessible
    http://www.suite101.com/content/the-...dophile-a50767
    Additionally, the problem within the Catholic Church is minute compared to other churches and secular organizations and institutions. There are sinners everywhere.

But it is hate and ignorance that lashes out in a disproportionate manner at the Catholic priesthood while turning a blind eye to bigger problems of the same in protestant churches, our schools, and other institutions to which we entrust our children.

Last time I checked, hate is not a fruit of the Holy Spirit.

Additionally, being gay is seen by the Catholic church as a gravely disordered condition, making one unsuitable for the priesthood, as would other gravely disordered conditions. The Church's official policy does not permit thsoe with gravely disordered conditions to become priests. That this happened as much as it did in America is a testimony to the intense attack on the Catholic Church that satan has been waging against Her, trying to break her.

He has not succeeded.

Still at it, I see.

Its been informative to say the least reading the responses from those of you well educated in apologetics for the Catholic church. It didn't change my opinion, however, as my position was actually bolstered by those in the opposition.

I'm certainly not a Biblical scholar but I know what the Truth is due to the blessings and guidance of the Holy Spirit. The Truth is a lot simpler than many would believe and it doesn't take the trappings of ritualistic vanity to find it.

Blessings to each of you.
    Impeach the Kenyan!