Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MRSA or Shingles Symptoms?

Question MRSA or Shingles Symptoms?

Just curious about MRSA I did some research on the net because I was uncertain about the little blisters that suddenly started appearing on my face and hands. I have a few "blisters" suddenly show up on various locales of my body and if you barely touch them they pop and very easily and then they hurt like heck. I've been treating them with lemongrass oil and royal jelly (honey) which makes them disappear and fast. Now how to stop them all together?

K-
    Last edited by hunybee; 02-02-2011 at 06:48 PM.
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

they start out like a zit, not like a blister. they will be hard and feel deep and the pain is unbelievable..

That sounds more like something along the shingles line, although shingles won't generally disappear quickly.

Summerthyme

Quote Originally Posted by Summerthyme View Post
    That sounds more like something along the shingles line, although shingles won't generally disappear quickly.

Summerthyme
    Hmmmmmmmm shingles??? Might be time to go visit the doctor then.

K-

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Packy- Do you have a rash like you've been slapped? Temp?
    My lil guy got Fifth disease and it sounds like that-the descriptions online do not include the blisters but they happen. Do you have any in your mouth? Are you around little kids a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by CapeCMom View Post
    Packy- Do you have a rash like you've been slapped? Temp?
    My lil guy got Fifth disease and it sounds like that-the descriptions online do not include the blisters but they happen. Do you have any in your mouth? Are you around little kids a lot?
    No rash just some random blisters and no I'm not around kids well outside of the ones at the grocery store.

K-

Joan of Arc

What does a MRSA infection look like?

On the skin, MRSA infection may begin as a reddish rash with lesion(s) that looks like a pimple or small boil. Often it progresses to an open, inflamed area of skin (as pictured below) that may weep pus or drain other similar fluid. See the first web citation for more clinical MRSA pictures or see the MRSA slideshow site listed above.

What are the signs and symptoms of MRSA infection?

Most MRSA infections are skin infections that produce the following signs and symptoms:

• cellulitis (infection of the skin or the fat and tissues that lie immediately beneath the skin, usually starting as small red bumps in the skin);
    • boils (pus-filled infections of hair follicles);
    • abscesses (collections of pus in or under the skin);
    • sty (an infection of an oil gland of the eyelid);
    • carbuncles (infections larger than an abscess, usually with several openings to the skin);
    • impetigo (a skin infection with pus-filled blisters);
    • and rash (skin appears to be reddish or have red-colored areas).

One major problem with MRSA is that occasionally the skin infection can spread to almost any other organ in the body. When this happens, more severe symptoms develop. MRSA that spreads to internal organs can become life threatening. Fever, chills, low blood pressure, joint pains, severe headaches, shortness of breath, and "rash over most of the body" are symptoms that need immediate medical attention, especially when associated with skin infections. Some CA-MRSA and HA-MRSA infections become severe, and complications such as endocarditis, necrotizing fasciitis, osteomyelitis, sepsis, and death may occur.

http://www.medicinenet.com/mrsa_infection/article.htm

Symptoms

By Mayo Clinic staff
    CLICK TO ENLARGE

Photos of staph infections

Staph skin infections, including MRSA, generally start as small red bumps that resemble pimples, boils or spider bites. These can quickly turn into deep, painful abscesses that require surgical draining. Sometimes the bacteria remain confined to the skin. But they can also burrow deep into the body, causing potentially life-threatening infections in bones, joints, surgical wounds, the bloodstream, heart valves and lungs.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mrs...CTION=symptoms

*Packy, a woman I know contracted MRSA, while in the hospital to
    have a hysterectomy, and her wounds won't heal now. It's an
    awful thing, and I am praying for you, that it's not MRSA, or anything
    serious, and that it will heal up for ya.

FYI: What's even more prevalent nowadays than MRSA?
    C-Diff Colitis.

Bowel Problems From C diff Now More Common Than MRSA

http://blog.drdavidwilliams.com/blog...mmon-than-mrsa

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 by David Williams
    Last edited by Pinky; 02-02-2011 at 06:13 PM.

ST could be right, too...........
    It's so hard to tell, sometimes......so many things
    it could be. My Mom had shingles, and it flared up on
    and off for quite a few years, before subsiding. It was all over the
    bottoms of her legs.........terrible rash, and itching nearly drove her
    crazy.....it was awful. She said it felt like her nerve endings were
    frayed, too.

Shingles - Symptoms

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-a...ngles-symptoms

When the virus that causes chickenpox reactivates, it causes shingles. Early symptoms of shingles include headache, sensitivity to light, and flu-like symptoms without a fever. You may then feel itching, tingling, or pain where a band, strip, or small area of rash may appear several days or weeks later. A rash can appear anywhere on the body but will be on only one side of the body, the left or right. The rash will first form blisters, then scab over, and finally clear up over a few weeks. This band of pain and rash is the clearest sign of shingles.
    The rash caused by shingles is more painful than itchy. The nerve roots that supply sensation to your skin run in pathways on each side of your body. When the virus becomes reactivated, it travels up the nerve roots to the area of skin supplied by those specific nerve roots. This is why the rash can wrap around either the left or right side of your body, usually from the middle of your back toward your chest. It can also appear on your face around one eye. It is possible to have more than one area of rash on your body.
    Shingles develops in stages:
    Prodromal stage (before the rash appears)

• Pain, burning, tickling, tingling, and/or numbness occurs in the area around the affected nerves several days or weeks before a rash appears. The discomfort usually occurs on the chest or back, but it may occur on the belly, head, face, neck, or one arm or leg.
    • Flu-like symptoms (usually without a fever), such as chills, stomachache, or diarrhea, may develop just before or along with the start of the rash.
    • Swelling and tenderness of the lymph nodes may occur.

Active stage (rash and blisters appear)

• A band, strip, or small area of rash appears. It can appear anywhere on the body but will be on only one side of the body, the left or right. Blisters will form. Fluid inside the blister is clear at first but may become cloudy after 3 to 4 days. A few people won't get a rash, or the rash will be mild.
    • A rash may occur on the forehead, cheek, nose, and around one eye (herpes zoster ophthalmicus ), which may threaten your sight unless you get prompt treatment.2
    • Pain, described as "piercing needles in the skin," may occur along with the skin rash.
    • Blisters may break open, ooze, and crust over in about 5 days. The rash heals in about 2 to 4 weeks, although some scars may remain.3

Postherpetic neuralgia (chronic pain stage)

• Postherpetic neuralgia is the most common complication of shingles. It lasts for at least 30 days and may continue for months to years. Symptoms are:4
      • Aching, burning, stabbing pain in the area of the earlier shingles rash.
      • Persistent pain that may linger for years.
      • Extreme sensitivity to touch.

• The pain associated with postherpetic neuralgia most commonly affects the forehead or chest. This pain may make it difficult for the person to eat, sleep, and perform daily activities. It may also lead to depression.

Shingles may be confused with other conditions that cause similar symptoms of rash or pain, such as herpes simplex infection or appendicitis.

Tippy is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Shingles blisters are not usually random, they run along a nerve path. For example, they might run from the spine around the side to the tummy. Or from somewhere on the head to the eye area. They are painful, if I remember correctly, and they don't pop right away like the ones you describe.

If yours are random, in several locations, I'd say no to shingles. JMHO.
    God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.
    Therefore we will not fear,
    though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea.
    --Psalm 46:1-2

Quote Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
    Shingles blisters are not usually random, they run along a nerve path. For example, they might run from the spine around the side to the tummy. Or from somewhere on the head to the eye area. They are painful, if I remember correctly, and they don't pop right away like the ones you describe.

If yours are random, in several locations, I'd say no to shingles. JMHO.
    The blisters have all been on my right side, I had a rash about six weeks ago on my right arm near my back/shoulder blade that I dismissed as being dermititis, it was crusty and felt like it was on fire but eventually went away.

K-

Joan of Arc