Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fourth tunnel dug during "Great Escape" discovered - Daily Mail

Default Fourth tunnel dug during "Great Escape" discovered - Daily Mail

Great article. The tunnel in the photo is still in good shape.

Fourth tunnel dug during "Great Escape" discovered - Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-fourth.html
    Pastor Guest

Free E- Book!

"Steps Toward the Mark of the Beast"
    The Christian's Guide to the How and Why of
    the Coming Cashless/RFID Economic System

Brave brave men with a resolution not seen often even in those times.

Incredible!

What always baffled me is how they were able to scrounge so much wood without the Germans noticing it missing.
    When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to a quest for power. Alston Chase

The easiest way to fleece people, is one dollar at a time. Faithful Skeptic

The Three Phases of Life
    Young: Have time, have ambition, have no money.
    Mid Life: Have ambition, have money, have no time.
    Old: Have time, have money, have no ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by FaithfulSkeptic View Post
    Incredible!

What always baffled me is how they were able to scrounge so much wood without the Germans noticing it missing.
    I agree. The article did say that the guards there were the dregs of the German army.

Did you see the movie? I remember when they were tearing the barracks apart and with that there was a danger that the buildings would just fall down!

IIRC at one time they were storing some of the dirt in the attics too.

Quote Originally Posted by timbo View Post
    I agree. The article did say that the guards there were the dregs of the German army.

Did you see the movie? I remember when they were tearing the barracks apart and with that there was a danger that the buildings would just fall down!

IIRC at one time they were storing some of the dirt in the attics too.
    I've seen it a couple times. It's a timeless classic, and now that you mention it I do recall the dirt in the attic. I think I'll rent it and watch again. With respect to the guards, I doubt they were that big of idiots, rather they just didn't really care all that much.
    When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to a quest for power. Alston Chase

The easiest way to fleece people, is one dollar at a time. Faithful Skeptic

The Three Phases of Life
    Young: Have time, have ambition, have no money.
    Mid Life: Have ambition, have money, have no time.
    Old: Have time, have money, have no ambition.

My dad was a POW in Stalag 17b for 1 year 6 mos. He told me it was like Hogan's hero's, of course I was a kid so he cleaned it up a bit. I miss him and his stories!
    When thing's look bad,pray,when things are good pray!

"Those willing to give up they're Liberty for security,deserve neither!"-Benjamin Franklin

Carpe' Diem

My life is not what someone else makes of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntGRosZ6VzU

breezy is offline Tree of Liberty Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomedic View Post
    My dad was a POW in Stalag 17b for 1 year 6 mos. He told me it was like Hogan's hero's, of course I was a kid so he cleaned it up a bit. I miss him and his stories!
    My father had great stories of the Pacific...I can't wait to see him again...

Quote Originally Posted by breezy View Post
    One of my favorites was when they were liberated someone asked who were cooks? My father and a friend raised they're hands (they weren't cooks!) They ate so much they got sick! Another was when he back talked one of the guards and got his teeth handed to him by the butt end of a rifle. I guess he's where I get my "wise-azz" personality from! I wish I wrote them down he had a bunch of stories!
    When thing's look bad,pray,when things are good pray!

"Those willing to give up they're Liberty for security,deserve neither!"-Benjamin Franklin

Carpe' Diem

My life is not what someone else makes of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntGRosZ6VzU

Quote Originally Posted by breezy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzomedic View Post
    One of my favorites was when they were liberated someone asked who were cooks? My father and a friend raised they're hands (they weren't cooks!) They ate so much they got sick! Another was when he back talked one of the guards and got his teeth handed to him by the butt end of a rifle. I guess he's where I get my "wise-azz" personality from! I wish I wrote them down he had a bunch of stories!
    Y'all are blessed that they told you the stories...

My wife's grandfather was in WWII - Normandy and saw a bunch of action in many theaters (including being in a fox hole with 3 other soldiers for close to a week pinned down by snipers)... He never spoke once about what he did, or what he saw until one day he walked over to me and started talking...

Man oh man was it funny to see everyone in the family try to hear the tales... Try to weasel in to have a listen...

Problem for them is that when Tata saw them he stopped and glared at them until they would leave.

Funny that he would confide in me like this since he wanted to kill me in the beginning of this relationship...

I would like to go and get him to open up some more but there is always someone hovering and being a pest. Stories about guarding POW's here in the US, seeing mussolini hanging upside down, being ready to get on a boat to go to japan before the bombs were dropped. Never really touched on the beach landing though - I guess that was still too much for him to give up.

GOD Speed to Our Vets!

Ferris
    VAXXED from cover up to catastrophe

CDC lied and more kids died

Why lie? I AM a thread killer.

Sun Tzu must have seen babs coming when he put this down in writing: In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemies country WHOLE and INTACT. So, too, it is better to recapture an army entire than to destroy it, to capture a regiment or a company than to destroy them...

When I was a teenager, I read a couple books that had been written about POW life and escape attempts. They were each great books, showing a lot of ingenuity.

That and Hogan's Heroes inspired me to later join one of the 'underground' fraternities. Then during my Active Duty career while stationed in Europe, I greatly enjoyed touring and seeing symbols 'hidden' in plain view on structures.