Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: NVGs

Quote Originally Posted by Lenno View Post
    Remind me to tell you of the 1st time I inserted through two barbed wire fences and into an abandoned double wide w/my poorly adjusted PVS14. I dang near walked off the edge of a deck!

Well, lets have it ... details Lenno Bro, details.

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    Well, lets have it ... details Lenno Bro, details.

O.W.
    Maybe tomorrow
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Maybe tomorrow

... ok.

O.W.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde View Post
    some folk are under the impression that a dual tube system will provide for depth perception ... they do not
    The testing done by Natick as well as my own experience have shown otherwise.

I (and just about everyone else on the planet aside from you) have found that BNVDs surpass single tube systems when patrolling or doing land navigation in moderate or heavy vegetative areas, and far surpass single tubes when conducting CQB or operating a vehicle. For those who have spent a lot of time on the ground under NODs, there is a noticeable improvement to depth perception and situational awareness over the PVS7 and PVS14 systems.

If uncle sugar tits isn't loaning them out for free, then of course budgetary constraints need be considered when deciding between a BNVD set like the PVS15 or a Mono set like the PVS14. Just know that a PVS14 is almost never the better option over a proper dual tube save for a few niche circumstances, or unless it's the best option you can afford... in which case rock-on, because at the end of the day anything is better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by M6a View Post
    For those who have spent a lot of time on the ground under NODs, there is a noticeable improvement to depth perception and situational awareness over the PVS7 and PVS14 systems.
    Practice practice practice ... what configuration might you OWN that you might could provide a review for.

Now, Lenno Bro, about that story ... details.

And speaking of practice ... how are you coming along with procurement Centinel224?
    And where in the Buckeye might you be?

O.W.

Imagine being blind in one eye and forced to look through a straw with the other. The straw has lenses but they are out of focus and the parallax is unbelievably extreme, so bad that an object like a fence post appears to be several feet from it's actual position. Now imagine crossing through two barbed wire fences in these conditions.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Imagine being blind in one eye and forced to look through a straw with the other. The straw has lenses but they are out of focus and the parallax is unbelievably extreme, so bad that an object like a fence post appears to be several feet from it's actual position. Now imagine crossing through two barbed wire fences in these conditions.
    Gen1s ... I get the pitcher. You wasn't runnin was ya?

O.W.

So, how goes our pursuit of nocturnal equilibrium?

O.W.

I'm late to this pow wow.

Pig hunt with a blacked out truck and pvs-7. The pvs-7 is what I could afford at the time.

I got a deal on a FLIR Breach for scanning fields. It saves swinging a 12lb rifle/thermal around.

Go Gen-3 for openers, buy once-cry once.

Run your gear and learn your area.

Spend as much time looking at the same area in daylight as you do under NV.

While you don't have the depth perception, there are still a lot of visual cues to be learned. What a fence, cow, creep feeder looks like at a given distance, etc.

A calf laying down in a little draw might give the same profile as a pig.

It makes a huge difference in interpreting what you see when you go to a new area.

Driving takes a bit of adjustment too. I usually don't drive on hardball roads unless there is a decent moon.
    .........against all enemies, foreign and domestic

Gen 3's absolutely.

Anything less just provides one with
    a false sense in capability that just isn't there.

Add thermal to the mix and the shortcomings of
    infrared become apparent.

Good neighbor Bob runs a head mounted 14,
    a thermal monocular and an IR laser sight.

Gonna have to take a look at that "Breach"
    ... for my good neighbor.

O.W.