Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Seed company sells out, hundreds out of work

Default Dittos on the patenting of natural life forms

Quote Originally Posted by Tired of Lies View Post
    I would not allow private companies to patent the way they are. Monsanto is the worse. They are actually trying to patent the basic genes for the pig. Meaning that anytime you have a litter you have to send them a royalty.

Just like how they send out scouts to tresspass property and take samples of crops to sue innocent farmers that THEY contaminated their fields, one day they will do it to all if not contained.

No company should be allowed to corner any market with dirty tactics. Espicially one as important as the food market.
    If anybody owns the patents on already existing living things, that would be God.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    become an owner. Start a small biz or buy some stock. If buying stock doesn't sound so lucrative once you actually have to pony up a few months of cable TV bills, then maybe the "fortune" you envy owners of is not quite so certain or so lucrative.

I liked Ferry Morse seeds. (If I remember, they had a nice little how-to booklet, very concise, on growing vegetables.) But if workers don't have the message these days that jobs requiring no particular skills are not secure, they simply don't want to listen.

If you bemoan the ruthless efficiency of the Market, then first examine your own purchasing closely, and make some changes to use your dollar vote to support your beliefs. If it is one thing the Market respects, it is dollar votes.

This^
    • “I am not afraid, because I was born to do this."

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    become an owner. Start a small biz or buy some stock. If buying stock doesn't sound so lucrative once you actually have to pony up a few months of cable TV bills, then maybe the "fortune" you envy owners of is not quite so certain or so lucrative...

...If you bemoan the ruthless efficiency of the Market, then first examine your own purchasing closely, and make some changes to use your dollar vote to support your beliefs. If it is one thing the Market respects, it is dollar votes.
    Just an fyi, read my post again - you're preaching to the choir; I, frankly, don't have a problem with the layoff, nor the wealth of the owners :)

Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    I would like to know, RIGHT THIS MINUTE, what company can be bought in sufficient amounts for even a year's worth of cable TV bills that both will make anything even approaching an income and is not a total scam. That's just under $500 you're talking about, and I would cheerfully buy into such an enterprise.

Many of us that have started our own businesses did so with less than $500. I had a very old 486 computer an idea and about ten cents to my name when I started my first business.

K-

Joan of Arc
    Mark 8:38 - Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Here's a crazy idea:

Why don't all those experienced people get together, raise some capitol investors and open another company down the road doing the exact thing only better and out compete the company that put them out of a job?

Lot better than sitting around waiting on someone to pass a law to give you something off the old corpse of the dead company.

JMTC< YMMV
    Dosadi

III

Any possibility some entity with a competing interest *cough..monsancrap*
    may have bought them out to force them to close?
    ~Pyrate~

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by dosadi View Post
    Here's a crazy idea:

Why don't all those experienced people get together, raise some capitol investors and open another company down the road doing the exact thing only better and out compete the company that put them out of a job?

Lot better than sitting around waiting on someone to pass a law to give you something off the old corpse of the dead company.

JMTC< YMMV

Now there you go talking common sense again!

K-

Joan of Arc

Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
    Many of us that have started our own businesses did so with less than $500. I had a very old 486 computer an idea and about ten cents to my name when I started my first business.

K-
    Not the right question, packy--see, I already have a small business that's doing reasonably well, at least for now. I was hoping to bolster it with secondary income streams, preferably ones that could run whilst I actually worked my current job.

So while your answer is very nice and quite correct, it's answering the wrong question.

Here's a crazy idea:

JMTC< YMMV

Because finding people willing to fork over money to said experienced people, in this economy, is on a difficulty level much like a dream about a cannibal clown. It's somewhere between "laughable" and "nightmarish".

Not all of us know venture capitalists, especially not venture capitalists with sufficient amounts of cash to actually start an entire company from the ground up.

Here's a crazy idea:

JMTC< YMMV
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacknarwhal View Post
    Because finding people willing to fork over money to said experienced people, in this economy, is on a difficulty level much like a dream about a cannibal clown. It's somewhere between "laughable" and "nightmarish".

Not all of us know venture capitalists, especially not venture capitalists with sufficient amounts of cash to actually start an entire company from the ground up.
    Not to mention the laws on the books that make the climate for said small business very inhospitable. Plus, the fact that they would soon be Monsanto'd out of business.