Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodie View Post
    Got the garden turned today, and after 10 May will start planting.
    Home grown tomatoes, the best.

Rhodie
    If the rain and cold weather would ever stop, we would be able to get out tomato plants in the ground, too. It has been a long cold winter for us. They are still growing on the shelves in the laundry room, but are beginning to turn yellow. Hopefully, sometime this weekend, Cary will be able to turn under our raised beds full of compost, and we can get them planted. In a normal year, all of our raised beds are planted by now. I think this is our new normal.

Cary is working on splitting and stacking another 4 cords of firewood. That should give us a total of about 8 cords to start the next winter.

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Our "last frost date" is normally April 15, but we had a FREEZE April 16! I had to replace some plants, even though I had them covered with a bucket.

My prep today? I went to Zumba class! Getting fit. :)
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

Quote Originally Posted by grower View Post
    Our "last frost date" is normally April 15, but we had a FREEZE April 16! I had to replace some plants, even though I had them covered with a bucket.

My prep today? I went to Zumba class! Getting fit. :)
    Wouldn't ya know it? We managed to get 10 tomato plants in the ground, and planted cucumbers and squash, too. Cary started to till under our long raised beds, but got stuck in the mud, so we didn't get anything else planted. Then, last night our temps plunged down to 38 degrees! I hope it didn't kill the tomato plants! Hopefully by Wednesday, it will be dry enough to plant all of the raised beds. By then, I should know if the cold temps last night killed the tomatoes.

Getting fit ya say? I've managed to lose 20 lbs in two months! I've got another 10 to 15 lbs. I want to lose.

FINALLY got my truck running again and went fishing. Caught 2 rainbows and a landlocked salmon = straight into the chest freezer in the basement. Now Mrs. Bear doesn't have to yell at me 'cause the car smells like fish ick and mud.

Friends putting his boat in next week and the ocean fishing begins early!

Cut down and diced up some trees with the ol' chain saw and helped the Rabbis kids plant more peas, red onions and squash. Supervised them prepping another garden bed.

Almost forgot. Transplanted a 21 year old and 18 year old aloe plants and separated all their little baby aloes into other pots.
    Remember the Prepper's Motto: "Panic early and avoid the rush!"
    Everything I post is Fiction and shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone.
    88 = Heil Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by Sherree View Post
    I've managed to lose 20 lbs in two months! I've got another 10 to 15 lbs. I want to lose.
    Excellent! Keep up the good work...out.
    88 = Heil Hitler

Yes, Sherree is on a diet, and doing so good I'm proud of her. Note: she's on the diet, but WE are eating a lot of salad's.

I would also make a note that our weather man forecast low 50's for the night it got 38.

Supervising others doing gardening work? Man, I NEED that job.

The mud garden was covered with mulch, so it was still bad wet. And as one thing leads to another, reverse went out in the Troy-Bilt. And of course the thing was marred in a hole. Pulled it out with the lawn mower, covered the hole with planks, and drove it out forward.

Fixing the reverse isn't a big deal, just a matter of adjustments so the wheels engage when the drive arm is lifted. It was working fine when I started. But the thing is, I have to move a lot of stuff out of the way to get to the adjustment nuts, and then put it all back.

The tomatoes we set out were Atkinson's, still have some Beefsteak to set out, which was going in the spot I had started tilling. None of them look to be in good shape, we'll see how they turn in a couple of days with some 80 degree's on them. Also got 9 pepper plants to put out.

Once those go in the ground, will probably finish off the bed with green beans. We have so many already canned that all we want is some fresh to eat.

The rest of the garden will be planted in Purple Hull Peas.

Everything is running late this year.

The stacks of wood ready to split will have to wait. I can do that at any time. You have to do the garden, when you have to do the garden.

Full Moon in May, will be Bream Bedding time. At one of the old gravel pits on the Hunting Club, where the gator has visited, there are some really big ones in there. Strawberries, and Blue Gills.

A friend was down from Montana, and was helping our son, construct a deer stand. Got initiated into the southern living by not 1, but 2 snakes.

Never go anywhere on the club without being armed up. Whether that's fishing with gators, hiking around, or constructing a deer stand. Never know you may have to go up into that tree top to retrieve your line and lure. Snake fall in the boat with you. If he does, you need to have a plan. Either give the snake the boat, and take a chance the gator isn't hungry, or get snake bit. Your choice. But if you shoot the snake in the boat, you'll be in the water with the snake, and the gator.......soon.

'Course I've heard of folks being in that situation and just running across the top of the water to get out of there.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by CaryC View Post

A friend was down from Montana, and was helping our son, construct a deer stand. Got initiated into the southern living by not 1, but 2 snakes.

Never go anywhere on the club without being armed up. Whether that's fishing with gators, hiking around, or constructing a deer stand. Never know you may have to go up into that tree top to retrieve your line and lure. Snake fall in the boat with you. If he does, you need to have a plan. Either give the snake the boat, and take a chance the gator isn't hungry, or get snake bit. Your choice. But if you shoot the snake in the boat, you'll be in the water with the snake, and the gator.......soon.

'Course I've heard of folks being in that situation and just running across the top of the water to get out of there.
    LOL! Have to follow Jesus' and Peter's example and learn to walk on the water, I reckon.
    Snakes are a fact of life when you live in the southern woods. When we still lived in the Tennessee bush, my oldest son shot a 5 1/2 foot rattlesnake in the driveway. And my brother in Virginia got bit 3 times by copperheads building a stone wall (it was several years in the building, but the snakes seemed to like hiding out in those rocks!)

Glad we don't have gators, though! Tell sherree congratulations on losing that weight. I know she's feeling better.

Today my prepping amounted to ... not a whole lot. I did pick the first few leaves out of my mixed lettuce patch and made a salad topped with a boiled egg from my flock of chickens. I love it when we can eat what we've grown or raised on our own place!
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

I will do that, tell Sherree for sure. It's almost as hard as quitting smoking. She is working hard at it.

We've telling the friend from Montana, one of the things you need to learn is to look down. Up there it's carefree, and no harm as you walk around. Not so down here. If it's not snakes, and that was a good sized one your son killed, it's fire ants. The time it takes to walk through one, they will swarm you. I demonstrated by poking one with a stick.

Mainly trying to teach them to be aware of your surroundings. Including wasp nests, yellow jacket nests, especially around fallen fruit, when it comes in, honey bees, hornet nests. Use your eyes, ears, and sense or knowledge. it will make for an easier experience.

Our tomato plants just don't look good at all. We got to make a run to town tomorrow, so we thought as late into the year as it is, we would just stop and buy some more plants.

Once we get all this gardening put out, then we to will have some down days to just enjoy the warm weather. Until harvest comes in.
    Wise Men Still Seek Him

Yesterday I planted 5 different varieties of tomatos, red bell peppers, sugar pumpkins and bokchoi. The sugar snap peas, potatoes and red onions are coming in nicely.

Just found out today they stocked my favorite fishing hole with tiger trout for the first time. <--- I'd never heard of tiger trout so I'm out in the A.M.

It's beautiful outside. Why am I on my 'puter?
    88 = Heil Hitler

We finally managed to get all of our gardens planted. 3 different varieties of tomatoes (18 plants), cukes, squash, 9 green bell pepper plants, green beans, and peas (Southern Purple Hull). We decided not to plant as many peas as we did last year. Getting older and with medical problems, we just didn't think we could take care of it all this year.

Cary is still laying in firewood from the tree that fell in our yard. Our wood shed is almost full, and he still has a few more cords to split and stack.

Still rotating and stocking my pantry room, which is an ongoing process as money is available.