Thread: Concerning Spiritual Gifts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daytonabill0001 View Post
    That appears to be your problem,
    I don't have a 'problem.' I simply disagree with you. Someone disagreeing with you does not naturally interpret into the one you disagree with having a 'problem.'

spiritual gifts are the tools that Jesus uses to minister God's Love through the Holy Spirit, in turn through us yielded vessels, to a lost and dieing world.
    Actually, the way my walk has been differs with your view and observing my Grandmother who had the most beautiful walk with Jesus I have ever seen, had no 'gifts' or coveted any 'gifts.'
    She was a humble woman who loved others unconditionally. She gave of herself, her time, her possessions, whatever was asked and yet never was in need herself (or ever appeared to be).

She could go through the worst of times that would make the rest of us cry out and fall to our knees in anger or frustration to be rescued - but she walked through it with perfect peace and perfect joy, never wavering from her love for others and her giving heart and praising the Lord.

She never preached a day in her life. If you asked her how it was she had such love and joy and peace and it never wavered she would only say one word, 'Jesus.'

Those of us who were privileged to witness her amazing walk wanted to know Him as she knew Him. She was the walking gospel. The evidence and witness of His love and peace and joy was unquestionably supernatural.
    .. Look at Jesus, He is the model showing how the Holy Spirit works...I agree with that, it's all about Jesus, He is our Head. If we obey Him when He tells us to do something to minister to someone, then He gets the glory and that person is blessed.
    We yield our will to Him. Through yielding to Him, our lives are a witness to others.

You won't find that taught in the Word and your statement as a whole reveals your imperfect understanding of "self edification".
    Young man, I have seen the 'self edification' that goes on among those who believe in the gifts and the power of the Holy Spirit as you are discussing them. It is not about Christ. It is all about self and 'Look at me' and the gifts I have and how special I am. It is complete heresy and not what Paul meant at all.

Coveting 'gifts' IS about self no matter how much you try to say it isn't.
    First of all, the nine gifts of the Holy spirit is used publicly under the unction of the Holy Spirit for the purpose of ministering to the public and when used only under the Holy Spirit's direction, always points to Jesus and glorifies Jesus. When you pray in the spirit in your privacy, then you are edified. That's what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 14:4,

(AMP) He who speaks in a [strange] tongue edifies and improves himself, but he who prophesies [interpreting the divine will and purpose and teaching with inspiration] edifies and improves the church and promotes growth [in Christian wisdom, piety, holiness, and happiness].

(Bishops) He that speaketh with the tongue, edifieth hym selfe: he that prophesieth, edifieth the Churche.

(Darby) He that speaks with a tongue edifies himself; but he that prophesies edifies the assembly.

(EMTV) He who speaks in an unknown tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.

(Geneva) He that speaketh strange language, edifieth himselfe: but hee that prophecieth, edifieth the Church.

(GW) When a person speaks in another language, he helps himself grow. But when a person speaks what God has revealed, he helps the church grow.

(KJV) He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

(KJV+) He that speakethG2980 in an unknown tongueG1100 edifiethG3618 himself;G1438 butG1161 he that prophesiethG4395 edifiethG3618 the church.G1577

(LITV) The one speaking in a tongue builds himself up, but he prophesying builds up an assembly.

(MSG) The one who prays using a private "prayer language" certainly gets a lot out of it, but proclaiming God's truth to the church in its common language brings the whole church into growth and strength.

(Webster) He that speaketh in an unknown language edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

(WNT) He who speaks in an unknown tongue does good to himself, but he who prophesies does good to the Church.

(YLT) he who is speaking in an unknown tongue, himself doth edify, and he who is prophesying, an assembly doth edify;
    Please study to show yourself approved... Paul, under the unction of the Holy Spirit wrote that we are to covet eagerly the best gifts in;

1Co 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
    1Co 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

1Co 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
    Anyone who quotes from 'the Message' is reduced dramatically in my view of their understanding of scripture. Even the writer of that monstrosity said he was shocked that people use it as a Bible.

No, we are not to 'wield' as if we, in ourselves, have total control of the ministerial gift. We are to yield to the Holy Spirit because we are His vessels.Which is the reason we have to yield to Him, if we are to be used in a mighty and powerful way that brings glory to the Lord.But if you don't yield to the Holy Spirit the way Jesus yielded to the Holy Spirit, then you can't be strong in His might. Only if, in our struggles, we learn and gain the victory from it and glorify the Lord by it, after all, John said in;

1Jn_5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

He didn't say, "for whatsoever is born of God struggleth".
    If everyone who came to God became healthy and wealthy and had no struggles then everyone would come.

You have a very skewed view of the gospel message and of our role in His work. He doesn't need us to do His work. He is the only one who can convert a sinners heart. We are offered the privilege to join Him in His work and if He chooses to use us, then we are give that great gift in however He chooses to use us in whatever way He decides. I am not going to 'covet' how He does that or what tool He uses. If God uses me in the tiniest way, I am incredibly humbled.

You and I can agree to disagree but I have seen the world you are involved in and it is not pretty. It also is steeped in pride and angst by those who don't have 'gifts' yet and it leaves behind the true gifts of the Spirit:
    Gal 5
    22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control.

I am fully content with His gift of grace and love.
    I try everyday to honor Him by yielding to the Holy Spirit to let His fruit be evident in my life as a witness to the world as my Grandmother did. I know I will fail often but I will get back up and keep trying.

If He ever sees fit to use me in any way, He knows I am a willing vessel. I covet nothing more from Him and humbly serve Him in joyful praise, comforting my brothers and sisters, and contending for the faith even when I face name calling and anger.
    'A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument,'" writes von Campe

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    I don't have a 'problem.' I simply disagree with you. Someone disagreeing with you does not naturally interpret into the one you disagree with having a 'problem.'

Actually, the way my walk has been differs with your view and observing my Grandmother who had the most beautiful walk with Jesus I have ever seen, had no 'gifts' or coveted any 'gifts.'
    She was a humble woman who loved others unconditionally. She gave of herself, her time, her possessions, whatever was asked and yet never was in need herself (or ever appeared to be).

She could go through the worst of times that would make the rest of us cry out and fall to our knees in anger or frustration to be rescued - but she walked through it with perfect peace and perfect joy, never wavering from her love for others and her giving heart and praising the Lord.

She never preached a day in her life. If you asked her how it was she had such love and joy and peace and it never wavered she would only say one word, 'Jesus.'

Those of us who were privileged to witness her amazing walk wanted to know Him as she knew Him. She was the walking gospel. The evidence and witness of His love and peace and joy was unquestionably supernatural.
    We yield our will to Him. Through yielding to Him, our lives are a witness to others.

Young man, I have seen the 'self edification' that goes on among those who believe in the gifts and the power of the Holy Spirit as you are discussing them. It is not about Christ. It is all about self and 'Look at me' and the gifts I have and how special I am. It is complete heresy and not what Paul meant at all.

Coveting 'gifts' IS about self no matter how much you try to say it isn't.
    Anyone who quotes from 'the Message' is reduced dramatically in my view of their understanding of scripture. Even the writer of that monstrosity said he was shocked that people use it as a Bible.

If everyone who came to God became healthy and wealthy and had no struggles then everyone would come.

You have a very skewed view of the gospel message and of our role in His work. He doesn't need us to do His work. He is the only one who can convert a sinners heart. We are offered the privilege to join Him in His work and if He chooses to use us, then we are give that great gift in however He chooses to use us in whatever way He decides. I am not going to 'covet' how He does that or what tool He uses. If God uses me in the tiniest way, I am incredibly humbled.

You and I can agree to disagree but I have seen the world you are involved in and it is not pretty. It also is steeped in pride and angst by those who don't have 'gifts' yet and it leaves behind the true gifts of the Spirit:
    Gal 5
    22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control.

I am fully content with His gift of grace and love.
    I try everyday to honor Him by yielding to the Holy Spirit to let His fruit be evident in my life as a witness to the world as my Grandmother did. I know I will fail often but I will get back up and keep trying.

If He ever sees fit to use me in any way, He knows I am a willing vessel. I covet nothing more from Him and humbly serve Him in joyful praise, comforting my brothers and sisters, and contending for the faith even when I face name calling and anger.
    Thank you Emily, for your posts on this thread. I couldn't agree more with your position concerning the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

I too have tried with Bill to have him understand that when we make our journey with Christ all about the "gifts", it is inevitable that, being human, it soon turns to things of the ego and pride, as we exalt those who seem to display the gifts, and we then exalt the gifts themselves.

I too thought he was a much younger man, because of his stridency concerning so many issues.

Bill, we love you as brothers and sisters in Christ. Jesus loves you. It is not compulsory to try to sledgehammer your beliefs onto others. We have all read the Bible for many years. If your interpretation leaves you to think that a true walk with Christ requires being adept in signs and wonders, and the continual displaying of these wonders, than so be it. I will walk with Christ until my dying days secure in the comfort of the knowledge that the degree to which God loves me does not depend in any way on my display of signs and wonders, or lack of same.

Bill, please read up a little on Smith Wigglesworth, before totally embracing his doctrine. Here is a good link to start with: http://www.bereanresearchinstitute.com/03_Doctrines/D.0005_Smith_Wigglesworth_A_Book_Review_of_Penteco stal_Teachings.html
    Last edited by david777; 08-04-2011 at 02:22 PM.