Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coal furnace doesn't make a lot of heat

As far as how to actually burn the coal I cannot help much there---I burned it once and the carbon monoxide alarms went off and my wife could "smell" the coal despite the system being about as tight as possible ;)

I would try to wood and see what happens to help with the diagnosis and then maybe you can find someone locally who has some experience and would be willing to take a look.
    The truth of all predictions is always in your hands.

I think I may have found the problem.

Preliminary results.

I think a large part of the problem was ash buildup on top of the grate which clocked air.
    This happened due to my passive initial grate shaking.
    After two days of shaking the heck out of it, I think I have it cleared.

This morning when I went down to fire, I noticed a nice little concave are in the middle of the fire box.
    The fire had finally burned down to that level and allowed ne to get air up through and add more coal than I had been able to do.

Thanks for all the generous patient suggestions
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

There's no natural calamity that government can't make worse.
    Bill Bonner

Quote Originally Posted by Davy Crockett View Post
    I think I may have found the problem.
    Have ya got the warmth you was lookin for?

O.W.

It hasn't cooked me out of the house yet but I'm a lot warmer today than yesterday.

But the wind has really died down too
    Plato once said, “Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools, because they have to say something.”

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." "Men willingly believe what they wish to believe."
    Julius Caesar

Bill Bonner

The quality of the coal can make a huge difference. One year I got a load that barely burned, lots of rock, barely any heat. If you're still not getting good heat, you may want to get a couple of bags of known good quality coal to try. Sometimes there are changes to make if you burn bituminous vs anthracite.

I'm letting it burn out overnight, 2dutch.

Taking the chimney apart and see if it needs cleaned or something in it.
    It's brand new, never used until I hooked the furnace up.
    However, it has been installed for a couple years.
    Embarrassed to admit I didn't check it before putting the furnace into it.

Sometimes, I get a little smoke out the door.
    I may not be pulling enough air to get the good heat

It could be the coal but it looks really nice.
    Some bituminous coal had some orange streaks which is sulfur.
    I haven't seen any in this.

Julius Caesar

Bill Bonner

How is the coal experience coming. I bought two pallets of coal from the Amish and I throw a scoop or two on the fire at night. I have noticed that coal needs alot more air than wood, but I'm pretty happy with it, so far. Mainly bought it for reserve, in case I need it later in the season.

Thanks for asking, TomNTam.

When it's good, it's very good.
    But that's only a little more than half the time.

As I write this, I have taken the flue off the furnace for the second time in a month and it was filled with soot.
    I put a mirror in the stack and couldn't see daylight.

This is never used new lined.
    I put a new stainless liner in two years ago and never used it until now.

In the morning, as soon as the frost goes off the roof, my son is going on the roof with a flashlight to see if we can see through.
    I can't recall there is a screen that may be plugged.

I talked to a buddy who is a chimney sweep and he can't understand why I', having problems.
    I do have draw but not that strong

I bought a brush today

Julius Caesar

Bill Bonner

I wonder if either your house is too tight and so your fire can't suck enough air to feed the fire....

Maybe you should consider a dedicated outside air supply, if your stove has that capability
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."

I lived in a place once that had so many leaks that it seemed we were sucking in more cold air than the stove could produce heat to counter it.

Rental...did put in a dedicated air supply and that improved the heating of the house tremendously.

Any more I would not use a stove unless it had a dedicated air supply.
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."