Quote Originally Posted by packyderms_wife View Post
If the packets have O2 absorbers then your fine... if in doubt stick them out in the freezing weather. I try to freeze everything before packing in mylar with 02 absorbers... this seems to help tremendously.

OH and the cycle is freeze for 3 days thaw for 10 days freeze for 3 days and thaw for 10 days and freeze again to ENSURE the death of the winged critters.
Texas WOULD decide to warm into the 50's after almost 2 weeks of freezing weather.

Well, I've learned some valuable information here (and thankfully it wasn't at the most critical time!).

1. I don't care what the advertisement says...Gamma Seals are NOT airtight. Since my wrist is fouled up they definitely make it easier for me to take the tops off and on, but they are not airtight. The work with the buckets and dry ice last night showed that. All 5 gallon buckets; most with gamma lids-5 with regular type. We put about a 4oz piece of dry ice on a small piece of butcher paper on top of the products. The Mylar bags had not been completely sealed at this point. All 5 of the regular lids had to be "burped" (think tupperware) NONE of the gamma seals did. I'm really disappointed in that.

2. Contrary to DH's opinion that leaving beans, rice, etc in the original plastic bags for "double protection"...this does NOT seem to be a best practice, lol!

3. Before you undertake something like this...read all you can 1st...maybe even print it out so you're not running around like a couple of stooges thinking...gee-does the dry ice go on the bottom-or the top? Why does it matter? (two schools of thought out their, btw). what do you mean we can't put it in direct contact with the food? Why not? where do you put it? How much dry ice is TOO much? (Good thing I was watching those buckets for the rest of the evening!)

I still have so much to learn. I have one smaller bucket that just has what I call "ready to bake" mixes. Mostly envelopes with blueberry or raspberry muffins, hushpuppy mix, etc. Convenience mixes. What do you do with those? How about packages of jello or instant puddings? Powdered fruit drinks that aren't in #10 cans?????

I'm becoming my own lab rat