Quote Originally Posted by RossLunch View Post
Fisheater, this may satisfy the scripture on others baptizing:
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.

Jesus commissioned the Apostles to go and baptize all nations and then commanded them to "Teach them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you:". Jesus knew the Apostles would not live forever, so it follows that those who were taught and their descendants are commanded to do the same.

I hope this meets with your approval.
Well here's the thing.

The scriptures you quoted have Jesus telling the Apostles to baptize. . not every believer to baptize. Jesus ordained the Apostles, sent them as God had sent Him. . with all the power and authority God sent the Son with, including the power and authority to pass on the same power and authority.

Those words were not spoken to ordinary believers, but the handpicked Apostles.

So, in the same way Jesus handpicked His Apostles, so those Apostles handpicked others to cotninue in their ministry, and sent them as Jesus and sent the Aposltes. . . those who were sent by the Aposltes, handpicked others and sent them with the same power and authoirty and they had been sent by the Apostles .. . and those sent by those where handpicked by the Apostles also handpicked others to send in the same power and authority.

These words were spoken by Jesus to those He chose and ordained to carry on His work as He was sent by the Father.

So, a command was never given to the ordinary believer, laity, to baptize.

That said, laity can baptize, even unbelivers can baptize in emergency situations, such as those first century catechumens who waited in prision to be sent to the arena to be eaten alive by lions. . . they had not yet been baptized, their catechumenate had not been finished (a period that could take up to 3 years at times), they had not yet been fully admitted entrance into the full life of the Church .. but facing sure death, they could be baptized by someone who was not ordained.