Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices Expected To Continuously Increase Through Summer

Quote Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
    So, Obama is right?
    I'm not aware of that person being right about much of anything. What are you referring to?
    Collapse now and avoid the rush!

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Although they never use the term, people everywhere are talking about the effects of peak oil. Two days ago there was a guy on Fox news saying that Americans would probably be seeing gas lines and rationing by 2015. Of course, his solution was to drill more. I'm okay with that, but I don't think most people understand that there's simply less and less good, cheap oil to be found.
    I remember the gas lines of the '70's. We'll be lucky if we avoid gas lines and rationing til 2015. Heck, I've seen decent gas lines here when one gas station has a 20 cent difference in price. (In other words, they did realize everyone else had jacked their prices)
    Do thou O Lord, protect us, guard us ever from this generation. On every side the wicked prowl as vileness is exalted among the sons of men.
    Psalm 12:7-8

In answer to your inquiry, I consider that the chief dangers which confront the coming century will be religion without the Holy Ghost, Christianity without Christ, forgiveness without repentance, salvation without regeneration, politics without God, and heaven without hell. —William Booth founder and general of the Salvation Army 1829-1916

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
    I'm not aware of that person being right about much of anything. What are you referring to?
    You pretty much concurred with his energy policy.

You pretty much concurred with his energy policy.
    What energy policy? From what I've seen, he doesn't have one. I'm talking about geologic realities, not government policy.

What energy policy? From what I've seen, he doesn't have one. I'm talking about geologic realities, not government policy.
    Don't be coy. We can see right through that round here. Your belief is his belief; that we need to get off of gas because there ain't enough to go round. Other's, and certainly NOT Obama, believe in "drill, baby, drill," there is plenty of oil yet to be discovered.

Obama embraces the higher prices, as he sees it as catalyst to invention of alternate energy. That part you may not agree with, but the rest you do.

Don't be coy. We can see right through that round here. Your belief is his belief; that we need to get off of gas because there ain't enough to go round. Other's, and certainly NOT Obama, believe in "drill, baby, drill," there is plenty of oil yet to be discovered.

Obama embraces the higher prices, as he sees it as catalyst to invention of alternate energy. That part you may not agree with, but the rest you do.
    Is this your morning to troll or what? If you can't or won't educate yourself about peak oil, if you insist on believing in fantasies about abiotic oil or some magic cavern filled with a million years of crude buried beneath the Washington Monument, feel free. Don't be making baseless accusations against me for pointing out reality.

"Drill baby drill" will not solve the problem, and in fact hasn't solved the problem if you bothered to look at the facts about global oil exploration and drilling in recent years. Bringing new oil online is an expensive proposition, as the Bakken field demonstrates. The cheap stuff is gone, and the competition for the expensive stuff is getting worse.

Is this your morning to troll or what? If you can't or won't educate yourself about peak oil, if you insist on believing in fantasies about abiotic oil or some magic cavern filled with a million years of crude buried beneath the Washington Monument, feel free. Don't be making baseless accusations against me for pointing out reality.

"Drill baby drill" will not solve the problem, and in fact hasn't solved the problem if you bothered to look at the facts about global oil exploration and drilling in recent years. Bringing new oil online is an expensive proposition, as the Bakken field demonstrates. The cheap stuff is gone, and the competition for the expensive stuff is getting worse.
    I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm just pointing out that this is Obama's position on the matter. If the man is right, and he is according to you, then we ought to give him credit when the credit is due.

It doesn't help if we call him a liar in the face of your apparent facts. The fact is we have to pick a course and stick to it. Right now we are paralyzed and that is not helping.

I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm just pointing out that this is Obama's position on the matter. If the man is right, and he is according to you, then we ought to give him credit when the credit is due.

It doesn't help if we call him a liar in the face of your apparent facts. The fact is we have to pick a course and stick to it. Right now we are paralyzed and that is not helping.
    Obama uses energy policy as part of a broader political agenda. I don't want a president or a congress of the world. I want them to function for the American people.

People talk down oil speculation as a cause for high prices but in fact it does contribute greatly. Why doesn't our government do anything about it? I'll answer, it’s because the people that really own this government don't want anything done.

I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm just pointing out that this is Obama's position on the matter.
    No, peak oil is not that person's position on the matter. If you think it is, you've been misinformed. No government official of consequence has acknowledged peak oil or its ramifications. As for prices, in truth, I can't see how that person can influence prices much one way or the other, short of raising them with a huge increase in the gasoline tax which would never get through Congress. He sure can't lower the prices. Release oil from the SPR? The impact on prices lasted less than 24 hours. Jawbone the Saudis? The last time, Saudi exports actually declined. I suppose he can pick a fight with Iran, which I think has a probability greater than zero by a wide margin. But that won't be a peak oil issue.

From what I can see, he has shown himself pretty helpless and can only go along for the ride, trying to use the situation for his own ends.

Right now we are paralyzed and that is not helping.
    Finally something we can agree on. We've been paralyzed for the last 40 years, since the first energy crisis of 1973. (Okay, 39 years, be picky.) We haven't had a coherent, rational energy policy in all that time despite the crying need for one. I fear it's too late for one now.

Obama and Peak Oil
    Posted on March 8, 2012

http://lazarus5712.wordpress.com/2012/03/08/331/

Interesting speech. Is Obama suggesting that we have passed Peak oil? In a recent interview, Steven Chu, Obama’s DOE (Department of Energy) Secretary stated that he did not care how high gas prices went. He was only interested in weaning America off of foreign oil. He also stated that his department was working closely with the IEA (International Energy Agency).

In Nov. 2011, the IEA published charts indicating that the world had passed peak oil in 2006. It would seem that Obama believes this as well.

There are some who believe that there is plenty of oil, and that the idea of Peak oil is being used to add additional controls on people, esp. through Agenda 21 and other similar programs.
    This may be the case. Whichever is true, we are just beginning to feel the costs to our wallets, our choices and our freedoms.