Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Could you live in a 12'x12' cabin with no water or electricity?

Yep, Moving somewhere to Ocala in a year or so. Selling my shack, gold claim. Will still be living in the woods, and might transfer to the Ocala National Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by chicom View Post
    Yep, Moving somewhere to Ocala in a year or so. Selling my shack, gold claim. Will still be living in the woods, and might transfer to the Ocala National Forest.
    No more Polaris powered snow torpedoes, I'm sad because that was a funny story.

There's plenty of trouble for Chi to get into in FL. I imagine some reptile will do something to raise his ire and the war will be on. (;

Just wait til I get my hands on a personal watercraft. Hilarity will ensue.

Can't wait to hear about a runaway air boat...LOL
    The word Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
    I like hot showers and not having to do laundry by hand.

I don't mind living that way for a week or so at a time -- especially in the summer -- but after that, it gets old, fast.

Add farm chores to the mix and having to do everything by hand, and it can make for a long, tedious day. These writers manage to make it sound a lot better than it is.
    I agree. But then, I'm getting older too. We lived for a summer (and WELL into the fall... I woke up to snow on my sleeping bag a couple mornings before we finally got into our house) in a barn and camper when I was a teen. Took baths in the pond (Ivory soap really DOES float!), washed my long hair with water heated by the sun in a hose I'd set out for that purpose.

Didn't mind a bit... I was having too much fun with my horses and roaming the woods and fields.

Now... not so much. But really, I think what I'd miss the most would be the computer and my sewing machines. I've used a treadle machine (have one now, in fact), but that gets very hard after an hour or two... because of old injuries, I struggle with serious leg/foot cramps at night even after only walking a few miles on rough ground. The treadle machine is like walking 10 miles on plowed fields on that bad leg.

But sure, we COULD do it. And in fact, I'm trying to keep the woods cabin up (it needs some maintenance this summer badly) "just in case". Of course, it's 20' x24', with a full loft... my boys didn't think 12x12 would even make a good party cabin when they built it as teens. But I do love sleeping back there on summer nights.

I'd miss the "conveniences" (what I call my "kilowatt slaves") but I wouldn't waste time fretting over it. I've always known that we're living in a Golden Age, and that it may well be ending. As long as I have hubby, I'm home.

Summerthyme

Sure we could! Hubby and I have been moving in this direction since Y2K. Although, we live in a house of 1000sq. ft., off grid living is what we are after. Will be totally off grid with only a gas generator when the time comes! Everything is set! Just waiting for the kill switch to be called into play.

Yes I could, and have.

Around here there are hardware stores that sell storage barn kits. An 8x 16 with a hip roof barn can make a mighty fine cabin. The hip roof barn is ideal for a sleeping loft. By purchasing it in a kit you can take the pieces into the remotest of areas to assemble it. I put one together with zero electricity other than my cordless tools.

Chicom congratulations, I wish you all the best...

Wink

As more people lose everything & they have to live, on the street, in a tent or their car, they will look at that building like it was the toshmahall.

wonderer

Ocala? It got loaded up with Dudes. High-dollar folks with their horse ranchettes. It was bunches better in 1960, when I was at Gatorland. Me, I'd look around the area between Appalachicola and Blountstown.

I don't see the point in a teensy dwelling. Moving-around folks with a smallish travel trailer is one thing, but when comfort in a fixed location is relatively easy for a healthy and competent person, why be all cramped up? No point to it.
    You're from BATFE? Come right in! I use all your fine products!