Thread: It's time to let Classical Music Die.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have obviously NOT been clear enough for you...I am NOT referring to talent. I am speaking about the vast difference between Coltrane's jazz and Haydn's symphonies. The ORIGINAL point and post was about classical music. I don't see where Coltrane, Davis, or for THAT matter, any other human being other than a white European male has written a CLASSICAL music as it is strictly defined.

--Gabe

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    I have obviously NOT been clear enough for you...I am NOT referring to talent. I am speaking about the vast difference between Coltrane's jazz and Haydn's symphonies. The ORIGINAL point and post was about classical music. I don't see where Coltrane, Davis, or for THAT matter, any other human being other than a white European male has written a CLASSICAL music as it is strictly defined.

--Gabe
    I owe you an apology. Yes, there is a vast difference between Jazz and Classical, and no, I can't think of any Classical composers of African heritage, certainly none contemporaneous with Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven, et al. (Africans in the West were too busy singing Gospels while chopping cotton during that era, I suppose).

Truth is I was a little put off by the article Huk posted, and my first contribution to this thread was a rebuttal to it. He wrote:

And that led me to my second article, “Escaping the Mold of Oriental Fantasy“–a personal history of isolation and colonization, of how Western classical music participates in the act of destroying culture and replaces it with its own white supremacist narrative.
    IMHO the Jazz and Blues of the 20th century is also a product of our Western culture.

The author was lamenting the plight of POC in the Classical world, due to that genre's "Whiteness". Next we'll be treated to an article by a professional athlete decrying the unfortunate fate of POC who play for the NHL.
    Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.
    I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery.

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.”
    Gandalf the Grey

People with ethics have little use for the state. Conversely, the state has little use for people with ethics.

My Disqus channel:

https://disqus.com/by/PierreBezukhov1812/

Quote Originally Posted by Bezukhov View Post
    I owe you an apology. Yes, there is a vast difference between Jazz and Classical, and no, I can't think of any Classical composers of African heritage, certainly none contemporaneous with Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven, et al. (Africans in the West were too busy singing Gospels while chopping cotton during that era, I suppose).

Truth is I was a little put off by the article Huk posted, and my first contribution to this thread was a rebuttal to it. He wrote:

IMHO the Jazz and Blues of the 20th century is also a product of our Western culture.

The author was lamenting the plight of POC in the Classical world, due to that genre's "Whiteness". Next we'll be treated to an article by a professional athlete decrying the unfortunate fate of POC who play for the NHL.
    No apology necessary, Bez.

Getting rid of Classical music is the most moronic thing that I have ever heard someone say. That is an idiocy beyond the bounds of anyone that I have ever known. Dude, really? What are you thinking? Are you thinking? Wow!

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within"[ Will Durant