Page 23 of 154 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to prep today?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Charlene View Post
    Yesterday canned 16 pints chicken breast. Found some wild asparagus and picked seeds - going to try planting them on my property.

Today neighbor is tilling a new garden patch for me for next spring. Also, going to can my first batch of bacon today.
    Ok, ok - how does one can bacon???? Oh to have bacon put aside in a bad time....

'You have been warned of what they will do, you have a choice.
    Sit quiet and do nothing, wait until your hands are bound behind your back,
    and you are on your knees in a ditch, begging for your life!
    Or as an American, you had the privilege to be born free,
    If you wish to die free you better get up off your ass and make it happen.
    Stand and fight damn-it, if not these just might be the last words your hear,
    ‘AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar! AllahuAkbar!'

Don't know about canning it, but don't forget.... bacon and ham can be easily dry cured to the point where you don't NEED refrigeration. The web is full of resources for dry curing. It IS a bit intimidating, but it can be done.

This winter, one of my major goals is to dry cure my first ham and pork belly. I do all my own bacon and canadian bacon now, but it's all sliced, sealed and frozen.

I know the science of it, the mechanics, and the process... I just need to step out and take the chance.
    "I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Quote Originally Posted by Charlene View Post
    Yesterday canned 16 pints chicken breast. Found some wild asparagus and picked seeds - going to try planting them on my property.

Today neighbor is tilling a new garden patch for me for next spring. Also, going to can my first batch of bacon today.
    BUT.... having posted that... I too am Very curious about how you can bacon.......

Also, today I took that two cases of jars and put up 24 pints of canned potatos.... so now I needs me MORE jars.... sheesh... it NEVER ENDS....

"I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.
    Thomas Payne

Quote Originally Posted by liteluvr View Post
    BUT.... having posted that... I too am Very curious about how you can bacon.......

Also, today I took that two cases of jars and put up 24 pints of canned potatos.... so now I needs me MORE jars.... sheesh... it NEVER ENDS....

I found this.

http://livintheoffgriddream.blogspot...ing-bacon.html

Basically roll it up in some parchment paper, no liquids at all, and then 10lbs for 90 minutes. Surprised that it only preserves it and doesn't cook it - you still have to cook it when you pull it out.

At 240 degree's plus I would think the fat would all render off - but what do I know.....it obviously doesn't.

Got my first LDS order going......

MichiganPatriot Guest

We got the first shipment of out LDS order today!
    Bought more silver.

There are lots of references to folks canning bacon online. Below is the way I did it.

http://parmafoodstorageblog.blogspot...with-pics.html

Here is the way I tried it. Although she says to process pints for 90 minutes at 10 lb pressure. I did 75 minutes at 10 lb pressure for my pints.

I think the 90 minutes refers to quarts.

Next time, I think I will try it from this site:
    http://creativecanning.blogspot.com/...can-bacon.html
    http://creativecanning.blogspot.com/2009/01/bacon.html

I probably cooked my bacon a bit too long prior to canning it. Next time, I think it will be ready to can when it’s just starting to brown and it is staying separate from the other pieces in the pan.

However, I’m glad this is going to work. Having bacon in my storage will be great!

I had bought a 10 lb box of bacon for this. I usually buy my bacon at Costco and really like the quality of that. However, I was trying to save a buck. I think I paid about $11 for the box.

I fried up 2 each 1 lb packages of Costco bacon (leaving all the fat on), and ended with about 3 C fried bacon for canning.

From the trimmed 10 lb box I got 11 C fried bacon which amounted to 6 pints.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Surprised that it only preserves it and doesn't cook it - you still have to cook it when you pull it out.

At 240 degree's plus I would think the fat would all render off - but what do I know.....it obviously doesn't.
    Yes, you still need to cook it when you pull it out, but it browns much more quickly and beautifully. I absolutely love it.

I have canned several pints and quarts of bacon strips, but I have also started canning bacon ends and pieces, which can be purchased much less expensively. I do those in half-pint and 4-oz jars for when we want bacon bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    I found this.

http://livintheoffgriddream.blogspot...ing-bacon.html

Basically roll it up in some parchment paper, no liquids at all, and then 10lbs for 90 minutes. Surprised that it only preserves it and doesn't cook it - you still have to cook it when you pull it out.

Fixing to go get a few porkbellies... I just might have to give this a try. I can eat the first batch to see if it's safe. I have the digestive fortitude of a billy goat....
    Thanks for sharing that Lurker!
    Thomas Payne

MichiganPatriot Guest

Last part of our LDS shipment came today.