Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seed company sells out, hundreds out of work

I would have at least stuffed my lunchbox with as many packs of seeds possible before I clocked out.
    What are they gonna do...................fire me?
    Support Your Local Militia.

Yeah, it's not that people got fired, its how it was done.

Quote Originally Posted by goatlady View Post
    Yeah, it's not that people got fired, its how it was done.
    Which would have made me feel all the more less guilty for stuffing my lunchbox with packets of seeds.
    Consider it part of my severance package.

I couldn't justify stealing, although that attitude among others may have played into the way the company handled the firings.

personally, I keep my side of the street clean in all endeavors.

as DH is fond of saying,
    "a clear conscience makes for a soft pillow at night".

Quote Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
    I get your sympathy, BN, but what's the alternative? Sacrifice best business practices to accommodate "fairness"?

It's a rough world out there; if they run the company in a way that's not best for the SURVIVAL of the COMPANY, then far more will lose their jobs.

I just can't understand how folks don't see that...especially on a liberty-loving board such as this.

As so as companies cannot become as big and evil as Monsanto things like this won't happen. Mother Jones magazine did a story about "what if we acknowledge congress by who sponsored them instead of the state that elected them?". As in the gentleman from Monsanto yields the floor to the gentleman from GE....

It is not that seeds aren't selling like buggy whips. Gardening is up, way up. Power is being concentrated in the hands of the few. We have to decide if that is good for society not just business. Hell, I could make a great business selling drugs to teenagers but is that good for society and should we allow it?

My DH worked for a window company and back in 09 they had to close down some factories. The first one they closed down they gave the people a two week notice. The people destroyed the factory. There was know more two week notices. I feel really bad for these people that lost there jobs but I understand why companies don't give a notice anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
    Clearly there's something I'm not understanding. Nevermind -
    No, bbkaren you are not missing something here. You are witness to how Class Warfare can penetrate anything and everything. Whats interesting is how freedom loving people end up on the defensive side having to appologize for siding with freedom.

Wait. Since when does an employee get notice that he's about to be let go?

At best, that costs the company money because they'll have everyone taking every available sick day before they leave, and stealing everything that's not nailed down. And who's motivated to work when they know they're about to be let go? What gets accomplished in that period of time?

I suppose if the whole location is closing down and everyone is being eliminated I could see letting people know in advance, but they'd have to offer a nice severance package to everyone, to ensure they stay on their best behavior and keep working.

But generally, I've never known a company to give notice before firing.

This is the new reality, folks; IMO, companies don't have the luxury of being "employee-loyal" now. Times are tough.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmyvet View Post
    I couldn't justify stealing, although that attitude among others may have played into the way the company handled the firings.

personally, I keep my side of the street clean in all endeavors.

as DH is fond of saying,
    "a clear conscience makes for a soft pillow at night".
    It's about survival. Seeds......survival....sharing. I'm not a thief either, but in this case I would make an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    It's about survival. Seeds......survival....sharing. I'm not a thief either, but in this case I would make an exception.
    Just like anyone else would. They feel entitled to take what they need; it's survival.

Hence the reason the companies don't let people know they're about to be in survival mode...

Wait... "Sharing"?

I think I've fallen through a hole somewhere.