Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bean Soup Recipes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

ok, now you guys have me hungry for bean soup.

i just wandered through the preps and grabbed a bag of black-eyed peas (why do they call them "peas", they're beans) and some ham soup base (powdered boullion). popped over to the freezer and grabbed a package of vacuum sealed ham slices from a Honey-Baked that we had a while back. i threw all that in a pot with some s&p, a little parsley, a clove of garlic, 1/2 an onion 1 stalk of celery and a shredded carrot.

we'll see what happens......

if it's that bad, i'll just boil it down and serve it over rice.
    Respect God. Love your family. What else is there?

Quote Originally Posted by patticakes View Post
    ok, now you guys have me hungry for bean soup.

i just wandered through the preps and grabbed a bag of black-eyed peas (why do they call them "peas", they're beans) and some ham soup base (powdered boullion). popped over to the freezer and grabbed a package of vacuum sealed ham slices from a Honey-Baked that we had a while back. i threw all that in a pot with some s&p, a little parsley, a clove of garlic, 1/2 an onion 1 stalk of celery and a shredded carrot.

we'll see what happens......

if it's that bad, i'll just boil it down and serve it over rice.
    It sounds good to me.
    The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever. Isaiah 40:8

as close as you can get to Atlanta and still have chickens

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    It sounds good to me.
    dinner's at 6:00. i'll save you a place at the table.
    Respect God. Love your family. What else is there?

Here is another thread from a while ago where we all contributed our soup recipes and many of them were bean soup.
    http://www.thetreeofliberty.com/vb/s...ad.php?t=22225
    'A person with an experience is never at the mercy of a person with an argument,'" writes von Campe

John 3:3, "Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/how_to_be_saved.html

My New Blog: Galatians 4

I think the one of the most important components to a non-bland, fantastic bean soup is kosher salt and different types of pepper.

Taste your soup often to make sure it's seasoned well. I stock up on several types of pepper (whole black peppercorns store forever), pickling salt, iodized and non-iodized table salt, assorted sea salts, and plenty of kosher salt. (Also, salt will make an excellent barter item later on.)

I buy an extra jar of chicken, beef and ham soup base as often as possible. That'll also make an otherwise bland tasting soup better.
    Careful...the older I get, the less "life sentence" is a deterrent.

I don't eat much meat either and just finished the last bowl of my latest batch of veggie bean soup. I don't use a recipe so I'll try to remember...

Saute a couple tablespoons of diced onion, a clove of minced garlic, about 1/2 C each carrots, mushrooms, sweet potato and potato and a handful of chopped kale/spinach/collards etc. When the vegetables begin to soften and onion are translucent add water...maybe 6 cups or so. Add italian seasoning, basil, salt, pepper to taste. Bring to simmer and let cook until veggies are done. Add a can of black eyed peas (drained and rinsed) and enough pasta to make a thick stew. Cook until pasta is done.

If you want to add meat to the soup, sausage is a good addition.

BTW. A can of chunk ham (those little, $1 cans) works very well to flavor a pot of soup. Cook a couple cups of lentils, add some sauteed onion and carrot and a can of ham make a pretty acceptable pot of soup.
    Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

I use the 15 bean soup that is Kroger brand I believe is 2.19 a bag. You can get either ham or cajun flavor. Honestly the cajun is SO much better for flavor, but not hot to me. I always take them out of the bags and place the beans in jars, so each jar takes about 1.3 bags to fill her.

Then I add a whole onion, 14 oz of diced tom, ham or kolbasi and let it cook on low for 4 hours. I never remember to soak the night before, so I do the quick boil instructions on the bag. If we are running low on the second night, I add in cooked rice to it. Tonight is the second night of it here, but we made that amish bread yesterday, so that has been on the plate too .

Honestly my children will not touch any type of bean, except green beans lol. This way, I can add the beans in and when times get tough, then pour it over rice.

The Goya Jamon (ham) seasoning is excellent. I use it with beans, and greens too.

Ham,Bacon, Onions and Garlic for good bean soup!!

And lot of pepper for me
    Freedom is the ability to chose who or what you will be a slave to.

Without knowledge of good and evil how do you reason? If you cant reason how can you be free??

There are those who have opinions and then there is the Harriet Oleson Society and the Gnat and Camel Club