Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's More Righteous?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

And IF we sin (transgress)...

1Jn 2:1
    My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

1Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

1Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

1Jn 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

1Jn 2:7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.

What is the "old" commandment fron the beginning? And...as I asked before, what IS sin and what did we repent from?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
    And IF we sin (transgress)...

1Jn 2:1
    My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

1Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

1Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

1Jn 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

1Jn 2:7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.
    Which of Christ's Commandments sum up the law and the prophets?

Matthew 22:37-40, "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

John 1:17,
    "For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ."

Galatians 2:21, "I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain."

Romans 7:6, "But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter."

Hebrews 8:13, "In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away."

1 John 2:8, "Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth."

Side note: It's been nice having this conversation with you without all the Kindergartners swarming my posts. Fresh air!

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
    Which of Christ's Commandments sum up the law and the prophets?

Matthew 22:37-40, "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

Galatians 2:21, "I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain."

Romans 7:6, "But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter."

Hebrews 8:13, "In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away."

1 John 2:8, "Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth."

Side note: It's been nice having this conversation with you without all the Kindergartners swarming my posts. Fresh air!
    Again...what is sin...and what DID we repent from? You quote a lot of Scripture above, and mention new covenant, but is not the new covenant Torah written upon the hearts? That's what Scripture says.

Also, foundationally, we must build on solid Rock...look at this prophecy concerning Messiah...how do you read it...and how would those who looked for Messiah when He came have read it?

Isa 42:1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

Isa 42:2 He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.

Isa 42:3 A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.

Isa 42:4 He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his Torah.
    Isa 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the Torah, and make it honourable.

I'm in a pinch right now...will have to continue later...a fellow who was in prison (part of who I minister to) got out and I'm gonna take him and another brother to breakfast!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
    Again...what is sin...and what DID we repent from? You quote a lot of Scripture above, and mention new covenant, but is not the new covenant Torah written upon the hearts? That's what Scripture says.

Also, foundationally, we must build on solid Rock...look at this prophecy concerning Messiah...how do you read it...and how would those who looked for Messiah when He came have read it?

Isa 42:1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

Isa 42:2 He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.

Isa 42:3 A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.

Isa 42:4 He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his Torah.
    Isa 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the Torah, and make it honourable.

I'm in a pinch right now...will have to continue later...a fellow who was in prison (part of who I minister to) got out and I'm gonna take him and another brother to breakfast!
    God bless your ministry. No worries about responding.

This parable is helpful:

Mark 2:21-22, "No man also seweth a piece of new cloth on an old garment: else the new piece that filled it up taketh away from the old, and the rent is made worse. And no man putteth new wine into old bottles: else the new wine doth burst the bottles, and the wine is spilled, and the bottles will be marred: but new wine must be put into new bottles."

Jesus Christ has revealed a better way than the old way. He didn't come to "new wine" in the "old bottle" but to give us new wine in a new bottle.

Through the Holy Ghost, I humbly offer this bit of advice... Do with it as you will... I only did what I was commanded to do, all further discourse must be directed to our Father, from whom we have our being...

1Co 3:10 According to the grace (the special endowment for my task) of God bestowed on me, like a skillful architect and master builder I laid [the] foundation, and now another [man] is building upon it. But let each [man] be careful how he builds upon it,
    1Co 3:11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is [already] laid, which is Jesus Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One).
    1Co 3:12 But if anyone builds upon the Foundation, whether it be with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,
    1Co 3:13 The work of each [one] will become [plainly, openly] known (shown for what it is); for the day [of Christ] will disclose and declare it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test and critically appraise the character and worth of the work each person has done.
    1Co 3:14 If the work which any person has built on this Foundation [any product of his efforts whatever] survives [this test], he will get his reward.
    1Co 3:15 But if any person's work is burned up [under the test], he will suffer the loss [of it all, losing his reward], though he himself will be saved, but only as [one who has passed] through fire.

Love ya!
    Pride Always Has A Better Idea.

And it's not your job to mold me to your likeness!

Mat 22:37-40 (msg) Jesus said, "'Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.'

This is the most important, the first on any list.

But there is a second to set alongside it: 'Love others as well as you love yourself.'

These two commands are pegs; everything in God's Law and the Prophets hangs from them."

Quote Originally Posted by Daytonabill0001 View Post
    Through the Holy Ghost, I humbly offer this bit of advice... Do with it as you will... I only did what I was commanded to do, all further discourse must be directed to our Father, from whom we have our being...

1Co 3:10 According to the grace (the special endowment for my task) of God bestowed on me, like a skillful architect and master builder I laid [the] foundation, and now another [man] is building upon it. But let each [man] be careful how he builds upon it,
    1Co 3:11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is [already] laid, which is Jesus Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One).
    1Co 3:12 But if anyone builds upon the Foundation, whether it be with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,
    1Co 3:13 The work of each [one] will become [plainly, openly] known (shown for what it is); for the day [of Christ] will disclose and declare it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test and critically appraise the character and worth of the work each person has done.
    1Co 3:14 If the work which any person has built on this Foundation [any product of his efforts whatever] survives [this test], he will get his reward.
    1Co 3:15 But if any person's work is burned up [under the test], he will suffer the loss [of it all, losing his reward], though he himself will be saved, but only as [one who has passed] through fire.

Love ya!
    Nice passage. What version of the Bible are you quoting from? Is that an expanded version? Interesting study help for sure.

what has righteousness got to do with getting into heaven?

i thought the key was grace.
    Laura

Crazy is fractal.

Deleted post. :)

OMG!
    Christians in a pillow fight!
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    “As a general rule, the earlier you recognize someone is trying to kill you, the better off you’ll be.”

"You think a wall as solid as the earth separates civilisation from barbarism. I tell you the division is a sheet of glass."

Mt 27:38 Then were there two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand, and another on the left.
    39 And they that passed by reviled him, wagging their heads,
    40 And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross.
    41 Likewise also the chief priests mocking him, with the scribes and elders, said,
    42 He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him.
    43 He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.
    44 The thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth.
    45 Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour.
    46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Mk 15:25 And it was the third hour, and they crucified him.
    26 And the superscription of his accusation was written over, THE KING OF THE JEWS.
    27 And with him they crucify two thieves; the one on his right hand, and the other on his left.
    28 And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors.
    29 And they that passed by railed on him, wagging their heads, and saying, Ah, thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days,
    30 Save thyself, and come down from the cross.
    31 Likewise also the chief priests mocking said among themselves with the scribes, He saved others; himself he cannot save.
    32 Let Christ the King of Israel descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe. And they that were crucified with him reviled him.
    33 ¶ And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour.
    34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Jn 19:16 ¶ Then delivered he him therefore unto them to be crucified. And they took Jesus, and led him away.
    17 And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha:
    18 Where they crucified him, and two other with him, on either side one, and Jesus in the midst.
    19 ¶ And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was, JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS.
    20 This title then read many of the Jews: for the place where Jesus was crucified was nigh to the city: and it was written in Hebrew, and Greek, and Latin.
    21 Then said the chief priests of the Jews to Pilate, Write not, The King of the Jews; but that he said, I am King of the Jews.
    22 Pilate answered, What I have written I have written.
    23 Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took his garments, and made four parts, to every soldier a part; and also his coat: now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout.
    24 They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.
    25 Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.
    26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!
    27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.
    28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.
    29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.
    30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

Lk 23:33 And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.
    34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.
    35 And the people stood beholding. And the rulers also with them derided him, saying, He saved others; let him save himself, if he be Christ, the chosen of God.
    36 And the soldiers also mocked him, coming to him, and offering him vinegar,
    37 And saying, If thou be the king of the Jews, save thyself.
    38 And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.
    39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
    40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
    41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
    42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
    43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.
    44 ¶ And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.

3857 παραδεισος paradeisos par-ad’-i-sos

of Oriental origin cf פרדס, 06508; TDNT-5:765,777; n m

AV-paradise 3; 3

1) among the Persians a grand enclosure or preserve, hunting ground, park, shady and well watered, in which wild animals, were kept for the hunt; it was enclosed by walls and furnished with towers for the hunters
    2) a garden, pleasure ground
    2a) grove, park
    3) the part of Hades which was thought by the later Jews to be the abode of the souls of pious until the resurrection: but some understand this to be a heavenly paradise
    4) the upper regions of the heavens. According to the early church Fathers, the paradise in which our first parents dwelt before the fall still exists, neither on the earth or in the heavens, but above and beyond the world
    5) heaven

06508 פרדס pardec par-dace’

of foreign origin, Greek 3857 παραδεισος; n m; {See TWOT on 1808}

AV-orchard 2, forest 1; 3

1) park, preserve, enclosed garden, forest

1808 εξαιρω exairo ex-ah’-ee-ro

from 1537 and 142; ; v

AV-take away 1, put away 1; 2

1) to lift up or take away out of a place
    2) to remove

1537 εκ ek ek or εξ ex ex

a primary preposition denoting origin (the point whence action or motion proceeds), from, out (of place, time, or cause; literal or figurative; ; prep

AV-of 366, from 181, out of 162, by 55, on 34, with 25, misc 98; 921

1) out of, from, by, away from

==================================================

Ro 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????

Ge 7:1 And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.

Ps 1:6 For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

Ps 11:5 The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.

Ps 33:1 Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright.

Ps 34:15 The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry.

Ps 34:17 The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles.

Ps 34:19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all.

Job 1:1 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.

Ps 18:23 I was also upright before him, and I kept myself from mine iniquity.

Ec 7:29 Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions.

Da 8:18 Now as he was speaking with me, I was in a deep sleep on my face toward the ground: but he touched me, and set me upright.

Ps 107:42 The righteous shall see it, and rejoice: and all iniquity shall stop her mouth.

Isa 3:10 Say ye to the righteous, that it shall be well with him: for they shall eat the fruit of their doings.

Mt 10:41 He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet’s reward; and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man’s reward.

Lu 1:6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

Joh 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

2Pe 2:8 (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)

1Jo 2:29 If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

1Jo 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous

Re 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++

Isa 44:20 He feedeth on ashes: a deceived heart hath turned him aside, that he cannot deliver his soul, nor say, Is there not a lie in my right hand?

Isa 2:6 ¶ Therefore thou hast forsaken thy people the house of Jacob, because they be replenished from the east, and are soothsayers like the Philistines, and they please themselves in the children of strangers.
    7 Their land also is full of silver and gold, neither is there any end of their treasures; their land is also full of horses, neither is there any end of their chariots:
    8 Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made:
    9 And the mean man boweth down, and the great man humbleth himself: therefore forgive them not.
    10 ¶ Enter into the rock, and hide thee in the dust, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty.