Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Text books/trade manuals?

Default Text books/trade manuals?

I have seen lots of fiction and survial manuals but what about school text books? I kept all of my old text books from my construction management classes at tech, also have some machine tool books. I'm also interested in looking for some elementry, high school text books. I would love to see any one else's ideas on books to look for and ideas on where to find them at a reasonable cost.

Goodwill, Habitat, and other thrift stores usually have the best prices. Also public library book sales.
    Make America WELL Again !
    Even as men wrecked upon a sand, that look to be
    washed off the next tide.

I've downloaded thousands. Hundreds of gigabytes of medical textbooks alone, plus engineering, chemistry, biology, you name it.

grower is offline Tree of Liberty Contributor

I homeschooled for 19 years, and there are a number of online swap boards for school books. My favorite was at Vegsource: http://vegsource.com/homeschool/

You can check out the ads and contact people that have books you're interested in. Sometimes you can dicker on the price. Going rate for a good-condition used book is half the retail price.

Also check e-Bay, but a lot of homeschoolers quit using e-Bay because they made a rule that you can't sell teacher's editions. And in some of the higher level math and science, you've just got to have the teacher's edition.
    IF you are willing & obedient , you shall eat the good of the land: But if you refuse & rebel, You shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it. Isaiah 1:19, 20

I have focused primarily on grades 1-6 because I figure if the kid has the basics down pat they have the tools to learn anything else. If they cannot read or do basic math they have nothing to build on.

Default OK, here goes

Quote Originally Posted by JB dix View Post
    I have seen lots of fiction and survial manuals but what about school text books? I kept all of my old text books from my construction management classes at tech, also have some machine tool books. I'm also interested in looking for some elementry, high school text books. I would love to see any one else's ideas on books to look for and ideas on where to find them at a reasonable cost.
    http://www.lindsaybks.com/

- For Dave Gingery series on DIY forge, foundry, machine tools
    - For old technical books, etc.

half price books - great source of used books. Look in the closeout section for a wide variety of books you probably didn't even know existed at give away prices.

flea markets

biblio.com - a network of booksellers. online web site. great source of used and hard to find books.

ebay.com

estate sales

friends of the library sales in your community

books sales in college towns - a gold mine!!

Your local used book store

Quote Originally Posted by JB dix View Post
    I have not seen a school text book since 1972. From what parent complaints I hear; depending upon text publication date, fiction and school textbook are perhaps synonymous? Are you looking for correct information or what is needed for current formal education?
    Nessie and Bigfoot 2016. Change you can believe in.

Quote Originally Posted by orion commander View Post
    I have not seen a school text book since 1972. From what parent complaints I hear; depending upon text publication date, fiction and school textbook are perhaps synonymous? Are you looking for correct information or what is needed for current formal education?
    I almost laughed at this...until I realized that it's not a joke. Unfortunately many of the modern textbooks were written by "educators" with an agenda...

used book stores. Get to know some of them and get then to set aside any old, pre-1970 text books for you.

They just throw them away and are glad to see someone take them somewhere besides the dump

Free
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."

Don't forget to add encyclopedia sets to this.